Piero Gleijeses (born 1944 in Venice, Italy) is a professor of United States foreign policy at the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) at Johns Hopkins University. He is best known for his scholarly studies of Cuban foreign policy under Fidel Castro, which earned him a Guggenheim Fellowship in 2005, and has also published several works on US intervention in Latin America. He is the only foreign scholar to have been allowed access to the Cuba's Castro-era government archives.
Education and work
His 2002 book, Conflicting Missions: Havana, Washington and Africa, 1959–1976, was an exhaustive re-examination of the Cuban involvement in the decolonization of Africa. Hailed by Jorge Dominguez as "the best study available of Cuban operations in Africa during the Cold War", it won SHAFR's Robert H. Ferrell Book Prize for 2003. Visions of Freedom (2013) picks up from Conflicting Missions by looking at the clash between Cuba, the United States, the Soviet Union, and South Africa in southern Africa between 1976 and 1991.
- Visions of Freedom: Havana, Washington, Pretoria, and the Struggle for Southern Africa, 1976–1991. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press. 2013. ISBN 978-1-469-60968-3.
- The Cuban Drumbeat: Castro's Worldview. Seagull Books. 2009. ISBN 978-1-906-49737-8.
- Conflicting Missions: Havana, Washington and Africa, 1959–1976. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press. 2002. ISBN 978-0-807-82647-8.
- Shattered Hope: The Guatemalan Revolution and the United States, 1944–1954. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. 1992. ISBN 978-0-691-07817-5.
- Politics and Culture in Guatemala. Ann Arbor, MI: UM Center for Political Studies. 1988.
- Tilting at Windmills: Reagan in Central America. Washington, DC: SAIS Foreign Policy Institute. 1982. ISBN 978-0-941-70002-3.
- The Dominican Crisis: The 1965 Constitutionalist Revolt and American Intervention. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press. 1978. ISBN 978-0-801-82025-0.
Articles and chapters
- "Cuba and the Cold War, 1959–1980". In Melvyn P. Leffler and Odd Arne Westad, eds., The Cambridge History of the Cold War, Volume II: Crises and Détente (pp. 327–348). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 2010. ISBN 978-0-521-83720-0.
- "Afterword: The Culture of Fear". In Nick Cullather, Secret History: The CIA's Classified Account of Its Operations in Guatemala 1952–1954 (pp. xxiii–xxxviii). 2nd ed. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press. 2006. ISBN 978-0-804-75467-5.
- "Moscow's Proxy? Cuba and Africa, 1975–1988" (PDF). Journal of Cold War Studies 8 (2): 3–51. 2006. doi:10.1162/jcws.2006.8.2.3.
- "The First Ambassadors: Cuba's Contribution to Guinea-Bissau's War of Independence". Journal of Latin American Studies 29 (1): 45–88. 1997. doi:10.1017/s0022216x96004646. JSTOR 158071.
- "Cuba's First Venture in Africa: Algeria, 1961–1965". Journal of Latin American Studies 28 (1): 159–195. 1996. doi:10.1017/s0022216x00012670. JSTOR 157991.
- "'Flee! The White Giants are Coming!': The United States, the Mercenaries, and the Congo, 1964–1965" (PDF). Diplomatic History 18 (2): 207–237. 1994. doi:10.1111/j.1467-7709.1994.tb00611.x.
- "The Case for Power Sharing in El Salvador". Foreign Affairs 61 (5): 1048–1063. 1983. JSTOR 20041635.
Awards and distinctions
- "SAIS Faculty » Piero Gleijeses". sais-jhu.edu. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "Piero Gleijeses: 2005 Fellow, U.S. History". gf.org. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- Piero Gleijeses (October 2013). "Introduction to CWIHP e-Dossier No. 44". wilsoncenter.org. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- Kenneth Maxwell (2002). "Review: Conflicting Missions by Piero Gleijeses; The African Dream by Ernesto Che Guevara, Patrick Camiller". Foreign Affairs 81 (1): 218. JSTOR 20033044.
- Jorge I. Dominguez (2003). "Review: Conflicting Missions by Piero Gleijeses". Journal of Cold War Studies 5 (3): 135–137. doi:10.1162/jcws.2003.5.3.135.
- "Robert H. Ferrell Book Prize » Recent Winners". shafr.org. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- Ned Sublette (19 December 2012). "Piero Gleijeses: The Hip Deep Essential Interview". afropop.org. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "Authors » Piero Gleijeses". foreignaffairs.com. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "Contributors » Piero Gleijeses". lrb.co.uk. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- Gioia Minuti (19 August 2004). "Piero Gleijeses: a truly special Italian". Granma. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- Gleijeses' staff page at Johns Hopkins SAIS
- Over 160 documents from closed Cuban archives obtained by Gleijeses and released on the CWIHP Digital Archive
- Gleijeses' introduction to CWIHP e-Dossier No. 44, which consists of the above 160+ documents