Pontifical Council Cor Unum
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Part of a series on the|
of the Catholic Church
Effective 1 January 2017, the work of the Council was assumed by the Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development, into which it was merged by Pope Franciscus I.
The name of the pontifical council meant "one heart", which Paul VI explained in 1972: "So we were able to give your ecclesial action for aid the name of one heart, a heart that beats in rhythm with the heart of Christ, whose pity for the hungry multitudes reaches them even in their spiritual hunger".
Its mission was "the care of the Catholic Church for the needy, thereby encouraging human fellowship and making manifest the charity of Christ", and it undertook this mission by carrying out humanitarian relief operations following disasters, fostering charity, and encouraging cooperation and coordination of other Catholic organizations.
(BIOs to be elaborated)
- Cardinal Paul Josef Cordes (1995.12.02 – 2010.10.07) (Germany)
- Cardinal Roger Etchegaray (1984.04.08 – 1995.12.02) (France)
- Cardinal Bernardin Gantin (1978.09.04 – 1984.04.08 see below) (Benin)
- Cardinal Robert Sarah (2010.10.07 – 2014.11.24) (Guinea)
- Bishop Ramón Torrella Cascante) (1971.07.22 – 1975.12.20) (later Archbishop (Spain)
- Cardinal Bernardin Gantin (1976 – 1978.09.04 see above) Benin
- Archbishop Alfredo Bruniera (1978.11.06 – 1981) (Italy)
- Archbishop Alois Wagner (1981.10.12 – 1999.07.08) (Austria)
- Father Henri de Riedmatten, Dominican Order (O.P.) (see below 1971 – 1979) (Switzerland)
- Father Roger du Noyer, Paris Foreign Missions Society (M.E.P.) (see below 1979 – 1988) (France)
- Iván Antonio Marín López (see below 1992 – 1997.04.19) (later Archbishop) (Colombia)
- Msgr. Karel Kasteel (see below 1998.03.28 – 2009.06.02) (Netherlands)
- Msgr. Giovanni Pietro Dal Toso (see below 2010.06.22 – 2017.01.01) (Italy)
- Fr. Lajos Kada (1972 – 1975.06.20) (later Archbishop) (Hungary)
- Fr. Roger du Noyer, M.E.P. (1975 – 1979 see above) (France)
- Fr. Henri Forest, Jesuits (S.J.) (1979 – 1987)
- Iván Antonio Marín López (1987 – 1992 see above) (later Archbishop) (Colombia)
- Msgr. Karel Kasteel (1992 – 1998.03.28 see above) (Netherlands)
- Msgr. Francisco Azcona San Martín (1998 – 2003) (Spain)
- Msgr. Giovanni Pietro Dal Toso (2004.06.21 – 2010.06.22 see above) (Italy)
- Msgr. Segundo Tejado Muñoz (2011.01.05 – 2017.01.01)
- McElwee, Joshua J. (31 August 2016). "Francis creates new Vatican office for charity, justice, peace, migration". National Catholic Reporter. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- Pontifical Council Cor Unum