Popcaan at Summerjam Festival 2013
|Birth name||Andrae Jay Sutherland|
|Also known as||Popcaan|
15 July 1988 |
Saint Thomas, Jamaica
|Genres||Dancehall, reggae fusion|
|Occupation(s)||Deejay, songwriter, lyricist|
|Associated acts||Portmore Empire Tommy Lee Sparta, Vybz Kartel, OVO Sound, Spadepakk|
Andrae Jay Sutherland (born 19 July 1988), better known by his stagename Popcaan, is a Jamaican dancehall artist currently signed to Mixpak Records.
Sutherland grew up in Portmore, Jamaica. As young as seven years old, Andrae trained himself as a vocalist and performer and Popcaan continued to follow his musical calling.
2007 – 2010: Career beginnings
In 2007, Popcaan approached Vybz Kartel at a local jam called 'My Scheme' where Kartel recruited the young deejay to his Portmore Empire, becoming both a producer and mentor. Besides showing Poppy the ropes of the music game, Kartel took him on major shows like Sting and Reggae Sumfest.
Popcaan began making music for Adidjaheim Productions with then in-house producer NotNice, the first person to voice him professionally. He got off to a strong start with "Gal Wine" on the Gal Farm riddim, following up with hits including "It Nuh Work So," “Jah Jah Protect Me," “Gangsta City," “Dream," "Gangsta City Part Second," and "Hot Grabba.”
2010 – 2013: Growing popularity
Popcaan's breakthrough came in 2010 with "Clarks," a collaboration with Kartel. The song achieved international success, causing a worldwide spike in sales of the British shoe. In 2011, Popcaan received the Excellence in Music and Entertainment (EME) Award for 'Best New Artist', and 'Collaboration of the Year' for "Clarks," which also won 'Song of the Year – Dancehall'.
At the end January 2012 Popcaan released a new mixtape, Chromatic presents Yiy Change—the follow-up to his 2010 mixtape Hot Skull, Fry Yiy, Boil Brainz. In March "Only Man She Want" gave Popcaan his first Billboard entry at No. 89 on Billboard's R&B/Hip Hop Charts. The song was later officially remixed by rapper Busta Rhymes.
At the Youth View Awards, Popcaan stepped away with three awards: ‘Favourite Summer Song’ and ‘Local Chart topping song of the year’ for “Ravin”, and of course, ‘Young, Hot and Hype Male.’
Popcaan has been touring extensively since, in Europe, Canada, and the Caribbean and South American region. While in Canada, Popcaan connected with Canadian rapper Drake, who has publicly expressed his admiration. In 2013, Popcaan released the video for "Unruly Rave," which was shot in Toronto and directed by October's Very Own label head Niko.
2014 – Present: Debut album
In 2014, Popcaan signed to Mixpak Records for a multi-album deal. His debut album, Where We Come From, was released on Mixpak on 10 June 2014. The project was executive-produced by Dre Skull. The first single from the album, "Everything Nice", was produced by Dubbel Dutch and released on 1 October 2013. It entered the Billboard Top Reggae Albums chart at number 2, and the video crossed 5 million views on YouTube.
In June 2014, Popcaan first appeared on the cover of The Fader in its 92nd issue. He featured on Melissa Steel's "Kisses for Breakfast" single, which was a top ten hit in the UK in August 2014.
- Where We Come From (2014), Mixpak (MIX049)
|Only Man She Want||2011||Roadblock Films|
|Party Shot||2012||Mykal Cushnie|
|Fry Yiy (viral video)||2012||Roadblock Films|
|Girls Medley||2012||Jay Will|
|So We Do It||2013||Andy Capper|
|Violate (ft. Samini)||2014||Highgrade Music|
|Everything Nice||2014||Jay Will|
|Love Yuh Bad||2015||Nile Saulter|
- "Popcaan Biography". RRR Music.
- "Official Video Vybz Kartel ft Popcaan &Gaza Slim – Clarks", Dancehall Madness, 30 March 2010
- "Vybz Kartel rap leads to booming Clarks shoes sales in Jamaica". Metro.co.uk. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Kartel takes home four awards", Jamaica Observer, 13 March 2011, retrieved 10 June 2011
- Caramanica, Jon (13 April 2012) achata Royalty, Long-Haul Rapper, Australian Brats. New York Times
- Popcaan, Tifa win big at YVAs – Entertainment – Jamaica Star – February 7, 2012. Jamaica Star (7 February 2012). Retrieved on 15 July 2013.
- "Popcaan teams up with Drake". Jamacian Star. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "LargeUp News: Is Drake Behind Popcaan’s New ‘Unruly Rave’ Video?". OkayPlayer. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- Jackson, Kevin (2014) "A New Day for Popcaan", Jamaica Observer, 29 June 2014. Retrieved 29 June 2014
- Popcaan – Everything Nice Out Now! mixpakrecords.com. 1 October 2013]
- "Cover Story: Popcaan Is Making Dancehall Nice Again". The FADER. The FADER. 3 June 2014. Retrieved 3 July 2014.
- "Official Singles Chart UK Top 40 – 9th August 2014", Official Charts Company, 3 August 2014. Retrieved 5 August 2014
- Jackson, Kevin (2014) "Loving 'Popcaan's breakfast in Britain", Jamaica Observer, 5 August 2014. Retrieved 5 August 2014
- Jackson, Kevin (2014) "5 For MOBO Reggae", Jamaica Observer, 24 September 2014. Retrieved 27 September 2014
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Popcaan.|
- Official Website
- Popcaan interview with The Jamaica Star