|Potato cod range (green)|
The Potato cod, Epinephelus tukula (also called potato grouper or potato bass) is a least concern fish as labeled by the IUCN Red List, and a native fish in Australia  The Potato Cod is also a native to many other Asian countries. It can reach a length of 8.5 feet and can weigh as much as 110 kilograms (240 pounds). Although considered harmless, the Potato Rockcod is inquisitive, and on rare occasions, large individuals may be aggressive.
Epinephelus tukula is not a common species where fishing is known to occur, but may be more common in unfished areas. The species is patchy over its range and highly localized. Very rare in Japan.
Epinephelus tukula is a widely distributed Indo-Pacific species. It can be found in the Red Sea, Pakistan, southern Oman, Somalia, Socotra (Yemen), Kenya, Tanzania, Madagascar, Mozambique, KwaZulu-Natal (South Africa), some western Indian Ocean islands (Seychelles, Mauritius, Réunion), west coast of India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia (Flores and Bali -Nusa Penida, Solomon Islands, excluding Irian-Jaya), the northwest Australian shelf, Great Barrier Reef, Christmas Island, Coral Sea, Osprey Reef, Papua New Guinea, Taiwan, southern Japan, Paracel Islands, Pratas Reef, and the East African coast from the Red Sea south to Aliwal Shoal 30°S (South Africa.
Salt water or Australia
The gulf of Thailand
Fishery: Sustaining; Game : Angling
- "ITIS Standard Report Page: Epinephelus tukula". Retrieved 2008-08-26.
- Potato Cod, What Fish Is This, Department of Fisheries, Western Australia. Accessed on line December 23, 2007.
- Anonymous, Author (6 August 2011). "Whopper of a Grouper". The Star. Retrieved 6 August 2011.
- Dianne J. Bray, 2011, Potato Rockcod, Epinephelus tukula, in Fishes of Australia, accessed 07 Oct 2014, http://www.fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/species/3850
- "Epinephelus tukula". IUCN. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
|Wikispecies has information related to: Epinephelus|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Epinephelus tukula.|
|This Serranidae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|