|Role||Light jet aircraft|
|Manufacturer||Procaer (Progetti costrutzioni aeronautiche)|
|First flight||16 November 1960|
Design and development
The Cobra was a cantilever low wing monoplane with a wooden structure covered in plywood, which had an outer thin aluminium skin bonded to it. The single spar wings had a maximum thickness to chord ratio of 16.5%; in plan they were unswept and straight tapered. There was 6° of dihedral. The ailerons were fitted with electrically operated trim tabs and the inboard flaps were hydraulically powered.
The small Turbomeca Marboré turbojet engine was mounted in the central lower fuselage, fed from wing root inlets and exhausting under the raised rear fuselage just aft of the wing trailing edge. Fuel was supplied from one fuselage and two wing tanks. The horizontal tail was unswept and straight tapered, with squared tips, the starboard elevator carrying an electrically operated trim tab. The fin and rudder were also straight tapered but swept, with a long, low dorsal strake. The cockpit, positioned forward of the wing, seated two side by side. It had a one piece windscreen and a single piece, rear hinged canopy. The Cobra had a retractable tricycle undercarriage, the wing mounted main members swinging inwards close to the air inlet ducts.
- Cobra 400
- First prototype, two seater.
- Cobra 480
- Second prototype, four seater,only partly built.
Specifications (Cobra 400)
Data from Jane's All the World's Aircraft 1962-63.
- Capacity: 2
- Length: 8.10 m (26 ft 7 in)
- Wingspan: 8.70 m (28 ft 7 in)
- Height: 2.80 m (9 ft 2 in)
- Wing area: 11.7 m2 (126 sq ft)
- Aspect ratio: 6.5
- Airfoil: NACA 643218
- Empty weight: 1,100 kg (2,425 lb) equipped
- Gross weight: 1,700 kg (3,748 lb)
- Fuel capacity: 515 L (113 Imp gal; 136 US gal)
- Powerplant: 1 × Turbomeca Marboré II turbojet, 3.9 kN (880 lbf) thrust
- Maximum speed: 580 km/h (360 mph, 310 kn) at 4,000 m (13,100 ft)
- Cruise speed: 480 km/h (300 mph, 260 kn) maximum, at 4,000 m (13,100 ft)
- Stall speed: 125 km/h (78 mph, 67 kn)
- Endurance: 110 min at economical cruising speed of 380 km/h; 205 kn (236 mph) at 4,000 m (13,100 ft)
- Service ceiling: 9,500 m (31,200 ft)
- Rate of climb: 12 m/s (2,400 ft/min) at sea level
- Wing loading: 145 kg/m2 (30 lb/sq ft)
- Thrust/weight: 0.24
- Take-off run:700 m (2,300 ft)
- Taylor, John W R (1962). Jane's All the World's Aircraft 1962-63. London: Sampson Low, Marston & Co. Ltd. pp. 87–8.
- "Procaer Cobra F-480".
- Taylor, John W R (1966). Jane's All the World's Aircraft 1966-67. London: Sampson Low, Marston & Co. Ltd. p. 99.
- Ellis, Ken (2010). Wrecks & Relics (22 ed.). Manchester: Crecy. pp. 192–3. ISBN 9 780859 791502.