Project Gotham Racing (video game)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Project Gotham Racing|
Cover art featuring a Ferrari F50
|Publisher(s)||Microsoft Game Studios|
|Series||Project Gotham Racing|
Project Gotham Racing is a racing video game developed by Bizarre Creations and published by Microsoft Game Studios. It was released exclusively for the Xbox as a launch title in November 2001. The game became the second best-selling game for the console after Halo: Combat Evolved.
Project Gotham Racing differs from most racing games in that winning a race does not necessarily mean the player advances to the next round; instead advancement in Project Gotham Racing requires both driving fast enough to meet the challenge set, and scoring enough Kudos points to advance. Kudos points are gained through the player's driving skills, such as power sliding around a corner at speed, or overtaking non-player characters in the race. There are four world cities realistically recreated, including San Francisco, London, Tokyo, and New York City.
Project Gotham Racing sold above 1 million units globally by July 2002. By July 2006, Project Gotham Racing had sold 1.2 million copies and earned $44 million in the United States. Next Generation ranked it as the 43rd highest-selling game launched for the PlayStation 2, Xbox or GameCube between January 2000 and July 2006 in that country. Combined sales of Project Gotham Racing games reached 2.1 million units in the United States by July 2006.
- "Project Gotham Racing for Xbox Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- Edge staff (2001-12-25). "Project Gotham Racing". Edge (105).
- EGM Staff (January 2002). "Project Gotham Racing". Electronic Gaming Monthly (151): 229.
- Bramwell, Tom (2002-03-25). "Project Gotham Racing Review". Eurogamer. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- Brogger, Kristian (December 2001). "Project Gotham Racing". Game Informer (104): 100. Archived from the original on 2003-12-01. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- Four-Eyed Dragon (2001-11-15). "Project Gotham Racing Review for Xbox on GamePro.com". GamePro. Archived from the original on 2005-02-08. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- G-Wok (November 2001). "Project Gotham Racing Review". Game Revolution. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- Ajami, Amer (2001-11-13). "Project Gotham Racing Review". GameSpot. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- Padilla, Raymond "Psylancer" (2001-11-14). "Project Gotham Racing (Xbox)". GameSpy. Archived from the original on 2004-12-28. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- Bedigian, Louis (2002-02-19). "Project Gotham Racing Review - Xbox". GameZone. Archived from the original on 2008-10-06. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- Lopez, Vincent (2001-11-09). "Project Gotham Racing". IGN. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- "Project Gotham Racing". Official Xbox Magazine. December 2001.
- Campbell, Colin; Keiser, Joe (July 29, 2006). "The Top 100 Games of the 21st Century". Next Generation. Archived from the original on October 29, 2007.