|Industry||Open Source License Management, application lifecycle management, computer software|
|Founded||Ontario, Canada (2006)|
|Headquarters||Kanata, Ontario, Canada|
|Mahshad Koohgoli, President and Chief Executive Officer, Hassib Khanafer, Chief Technology Officer|
Protecode was a private company based in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Protecode is a provider of open source license and security management software used for software development license compliance. It was acquired by Synopsys in November 2015 for undisclosed terms.
Protecode Enterprise System is a suite of tools for managing open source software licensing. Protecode utilizes a proprietary database of indexed public open source projects to compare against a software codebase in order to identify open source components and determine license obligations. The Protecode product suite produces a software inventory report, cross-referenced to licensing and copyright attributes, to indicate corresponding licensing obligations. Protecode also offers an audit service which can be used to produce an audit report, containing a software bill of materials and a license obligations report. Software audits are commonly requested prior to business transactions, like mergers and acquisitions or financing.
In 2013 Protecode announced a single seat open source management scanning tool.
Protecode is a member of IBM Partnerworld and System 4 received validation from IBM Rational Software for IBM Rational Team Concert and IBM Rational ClearCase. Protecode is available on IBM SmartCloud.
- In May 2010, Protecode was included in the “Cool Vendors in Intellectual Property, 2010” report by Gartner, Inc.
- In 2009 The Branham Group included Protecode on its list of the Top 25 Canadian IT Up and Comers
- "Proactive Management Required", Information Week, December 2009
- "Synopsys Extends Software Integrity Platform with Acquisition of Open Source Software Management Company Protecode". Press release. November 6, 2015. Retrieved April 25, 2017.
- "Code auditor analyzes IP at check-in time", SD Times, March 2010
- "Picking the right open source projects", Computerworld UK, May, 2010
- "Avoiding pitfalls when using open source code in enterprise software development", Infoworld September 2009
- "Software IP Audit eyes code throughout projects", SD Times, March 2009
- "Will code scanning and analysis get large vendors shopping?", 451 Group, January 2009
- "Protecode Announces Streamlined Open Source License Management Solution for Small Technology Organizations "
- "Protecode Launches Software Intellectual Property (IP) Audit Services"
- "Protecode achieves IBM validation"
- IBM Cloud Partners
- "Protecode Integrates Open Source License Management With Perforce SCM Solution" - Reuters
- "Protecode joins Linux foundation"/
- "Protecode Announces Full Support of SPDX Standard by Its Leading Open Source License Management Tools "/
- "Protecode Joins Eclipse foundation"/
- "Genivi Members"/
- "Cool Vendors - 2010", Gartner, May 2010
- "Top 25 Canadian IT Up and Comers” - Branham Group