|Builders:||Marine Industries Organization|
|Operators:||Islamic Republic of Iran Navy|
|Preceded by:||Ghadir Class|
|Propulsion:||Air independent propulsion|
Besat class submarine previously known as Qaaem, Qaem, or Ghaaem is an Iranian designed class of submarines currently under construction. On 25 August 2008, Iranian defence minister Mostafa Mohammad-Najjar announced Iran had started building the first ship of the class: Qaaem. The submarine will be capable of carrying and firing various types of torpedoes and undersea missiles. According to the Iranian Navy these submarines will weigh 1,200 tons. Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said that they would be equipped with torpedoes and naval mines. He also said: "the smart long-range Qaa'em submarine is also capable of carrying out both defensive and offensive operations". According to Global Security, a total of two of these Submarines will be built and completed by 2015.
Submarines in the class
- Navy designing new medium heavy class submarines Archived March 21, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. 21 September 2011
- Press TV Iran begins new submarine production 25 August 2008
- reuters Iran launches submarine production line 25 August 2008
- Iran to release Fateh, Besat submarines of own production January 18, 2012
- Fars News Agency آغاز طراحي و ساخت زيردريايي هاي سنگين در ايران September 6, 2008
- Press TV Semi-heavy submarines to protect Iran waters Archived September 7, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.