Adil Hussein discovered his tomb north of the pyramid of Sekhemkhet in 2001. He died at the age of fifty years and his mummified remains were discovered by archaeologists in December 2006 in his mastaba at Saqqara, Egypt. As were many other tombs in Saqqara, his tomb was re-used several times.
Beside his mummy in the limestone sarcophagus, there were metal (bronze or copper) model tools that were entombed alongside his remains. In press reports following the discovery of the tomb and in several publications they are regarded as surgical instruments. It was stated that they might be the oldest surgical tools in the world. They are now preserved in Imhotep museum. However, these types of model tools are common in many Old Kingdom burials of officials with different functions. They are not surgical instruments. They are model tools.
Also 22 bronze statues were unearthed representing different deities in various shapes and sizes including Ptah, Horus-the- child (also known as Harpocrates) and Isis. A statuette of Imhotep the physician, the great engineer and builder of Djoser's pyramid complex, was also among the statuettes found by the team.
Legacy in museums
- Hidden Treasures Of The Egyptian Museum:On Hundred Masterpieces From The ... - Zahi Hawass, Kenneth Garrett, Farouk Hosny - كتب Google. Retrieved 3 February 2016.
- "Egypt finds 4,000-year-old doctor's mummy". msnbc.com. Retrieved 24 March 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on November 18, 2014. Retrieved January 1, 2016.
- "Jean Philippe Lauer - Egypt Tourism Board". Retrieved 3 February 2016.
- Jackson, Russell. "Mummy of ancient doctor comes to light - Scotsman.com News". News.scotsman.com. Retrieved 2011-03-24.
- "Surgical Instruments from the tomb of Qar - a photo on Flickriver". Retrieved 3 February 2016.
- Khalil Messija, Hishmet Messiha: A New Concept about the Implements Found in the Excavations at Giza, In: ASAE 58, 1964, pp. 209–226.
- "Physician, Statue of Imhotep, Tomb of Qar, Egypt". allposters.com. Retrieved 3 February 2016.
|This Ancient Egypt biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Egyptian biographical article related to medicine is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|