||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: typos, tone. (June 2015)|
R5 at Walmart Soundcheck, in 2014. From left to right: Ellington Ratliff, Rydel Lynch, Ross Lynch, Riker Lynch and Rocky Lynch.
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, United States|
R5 is an American pop rock band formed in Los Angeles, California, in 2009. The band consists of Ross Lynch, Riker Lynch, Rocky Lynch, Rydel Lynch and Ellington Ratliff. In March 2010, they self-released an EP, Ready Set Rock. The second EP, Loud, was released on February 19, 2013, which featured the single "Loud". The band's first full-length album, Louder, was released on September 24, 2013. The second single from the album, "Pass Me By", premiered on Radio Disney on August 16. The music video premiered on 29 August on Disney Channel and is available for public viewing on the band's Vevo channel. The third single, "(I Can't) Forget About You", was released on December 25, 2013 and reached number 47 on Billboard Digital Pop Songs, and the fourth single "One Last Dance" on May 29, 2014.
Their third EP, Heart Made Up on You, was released on July 22, 2014 and the single of same name on August 1, 2014. On November 16, 2014 the band released the single, "Smile", which would later be included on their second album. On February 16, 2015 the band released the single "Let's Not Be Alone Tonight" which would also be included on their second album. On April 6, 2015 the band announced their second album, Sometime Last Night which was released on July 10, 2015. On June 1, 2015 the band released the third single from the album, titled "All Night."
2009–11: Formation and Ready Set Rock
R5 is made up of a group of siblings born and raised in Littleton, Colorado, brothers Riker Lynch, Rocky Lynch, Ross Lynch, sister Rydel Lynch and family friend Ellington Ratliff, from California. While living in Colorado, the Lynch children went to a performing arts school. They used to put on shows for their family and charged them at least a dollar to watch them perform in their basement. In 2008, Riker (16 at that time), decided that he wanted to move to L.A. to pursue an acting career. Their parents, Mark and Stormie, moved the whole family to L.A. to keep the family together. Shortly after moving to Los Angeles, the siblings began appearing in commercials, while Rocky began teaching himself, and Ross and Riker how to play guitar.
In 2009 Riker, Rocky, Ross and youngest child of the Lynch family, Ryland Lynch appeared on So You Think You Can Dance together with Ellington Ratliff as the Rage Boyz Crew. In mid-2009, R5 began their YouTube web series called R5 TV that showed the band's everyday life. The videos have accumulated over 4 million views to date.
R5 made their first music video for their song "Can't Get Enough of You" on September 4, 2010. The band self-released an EP entitled Ready Set Rock on March 9, 2010, consisting of songs written primarily by Riker, Rocky, Rydel, band coach E-Vega, and vocal coach/songwriter, Mauli B. The EP was produced by E-Vega. During these early years they played sets throughout Southern California at venues, including the Orange County Fair, the San Diego County Fair, the San Diego IndieFest, the Knitting Factory, and Six Flags Magic Mountain.
2012–14: Loud, Louder and Heart Made Up On You
In April 2012, the band members announced via their website that they had signed a record deal with Hollywood Records and that they were planning for their first mini-tour in May. On February 19, 2013 band released EP Loud. The EP Charted in the top 3 of the iTunes chart within 24 hours of its release. One of the four songs on the EP "Here Comes Forever" was written by Riker, Rocky and Ross. Riker has described their debut single "Loud" as "this big huge loud party." On August 16, 2013, the lead single from their debut album was premiered on Radio Disney. "Pass Me By" was released digitally on August 20, 2013, and was available for instant download upon pre-ordering their debut album Louder. The album was released on September 24, 2013  and climbed its way to number 2 on the iTunes charts, being classified as a "Chart-topper" on the iTunes End of the Year Album list. On December 25, 2013, the second single from Louder was released titled "(I Can't) Forget About You" and, shortly after, the official video was released on the band's website.
On February 5, 2014, the band embarked on the first leg of its first world tour starting in Warsaw, Poland. The band toured numerous cities in Europe including: Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, Spain, France, England, Scotland and Ireland and also one show in Israel. The band also performed at the annual White House Easter Egg Roll and at the Radio Disney Music Awards. On April 24, 2014, the band appeared on Ryan Seacrest's popular KIIS-FM radio show, On Air with Ryan Seacrest, where it was announced that the band would be the opening act at the Wango Tango Music Festival. The band also released a music video on June 9, 2014 to "Rock That Rock", a song written for Candymania's Ring Pop, featuring fan content. The third EP, entitled Heart Made Up on You, was released on July 22, 2014 and consists of the songs "Heart Made Up On You," "Things Are Looking Up," "Easy Love," and "Stay With Me." The music video for "Heart Made Up on You" was released on August 1.
2015–present: Sometime Last Night
R5's second full-length album, Sometime Last Night, was released on July 10, 2015. Riker shared in interviews that their second album was "more mature," and that Ross was one of the key writers on the record. On November 15, 2014 the band released the lead single of the album, "Smile" and performed the song at the American Music Awards pre-show. "Let's Not Be Alone Tonight", the second single, was released on February 13, 2015. On March 4, 2015, the group hosted an intimate "Hollywood Hang" at the Roxy in Los Angeles. On April 16, 2015, the band's concert movie, "R5: All Day, All Night," was screened in select Regal cinemas for one night only. "All Night" was released as the third single on June 2, along with the album's iTunes pre-order. On June 11, R5 made their late night debut on Jimmy Kimmel Live! with "All Night".
On April 6, 2015 R5 announced the first leg of their "Sometime Last Night Tour." The tour will continue into 2016 wrapping on March 17, 2016 in Sioux Cityity, IA. Jacob Whitesides joined the band as opener for first leg of tour aroun the US. DJ Ryland joined the band for whole tour. On June 30, 2015 "F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D." was released on iTunes as an instant grat track for pre-orders. On July 8, 2015 music video for "All Night" was released. The Sometime Last Night Tour took the band across North America, to Europe, Latin America, Australia, and New Zealand.
The band cites The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Presley and The Beach Boys as big musical influences. They have also mentioned McFly, Fall Out Boy, The Killers, Neon Trees, Walk the Moon, Maroon 5, Bruno Mars and The Script as their inspiration.
- Current members
- Ross Lynch – lead vocals, rhythm guitar
- Riker Lynch – bass, vocals
- Rocky Lynch – lead guitar, vocals
- Rydel Lynch – keyboards, vocals
- Ellington Ratliff – drums, vocals
Awards and nominations
|2013||Next Big Thing Awards||Next Big Thing||Themselves||Won|||
|Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Music Group||Nominated|||
|Best Acoustic Performance||"Loud"|
|Funniest Celebrity Take||Air Guitar|
|Teen Icon Awards||Iconic Band / Group||Themselves|||
|2014||Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Band||Won|||
|Best Music Group||Nominated|
|Best Song to Rock Out to With Your BFF||"Loud"|
|Favorite Roadtrip Song||"Pass Me By"|
|Show Stopper Award||Themselves||Won|
|Vevo LIFT Fan Vote Awards||Vevo LIFT Artist||Nominated|||
|Young Hollywood Awards||Social Media Superstar|||
|Teen Choice Award||Choice Music Group|||
|2015||Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Band|||
|Best Song That Makes You Smile||"Smile"|
|2013||On The Road||Independent|
|2014||Live on Tour|
- "What Makes R5 'Smile'? Find Out In This Exclusive Behind The Scenes Video". MTV. 2014-12-22. Retrieved 2014-12-22.
- "R5 Gets 'Louder' As Ross Lynch's Profile Grows". MTV. 2013-10-04. Retrieved 2013-10-04. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Billboard" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "AllMusic - R5". AllMusic. Retrieved August 23, 2015.
- "R5 – Molson Studio at Hamilton Place – May 6, 2013". Lithium Magazine. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- R5. YouTube.
- Lynch, Riker. "R5 - Can't Get Enough of You - Official Music Video". Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- [dead link] "About". R5Rocks.com. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- Sheehan, Katie (April 30, 2012). "R5 Signs to Hollywood Records". Artistdirect. (April 30, 2012). Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- "Tommy2.net R5's Loud EP cracks Top Ten Album charts on iTunes, YLA tapes Shake It Up segment, Allstar Weekend releases third Tour Diaries video, Everlife updates fans about their new release, Jasmine Sagginario covers Locked Out Of Heaven, Crystal Bowersox previews the track Stitches, Ne-Yo receives a pick on Radio Disney Music Mailbag, Mandy Jiroux on the Tonight Show with Sky Blue, Mindless Behavior appearing in Southaven MS tomorrow - Tommy2.net". Tommy2.net.
- "R5 - We R R5". YouTube. 1 March 2013.
- "iTunes - Music - Louder (Deluxe) by R5". iTunes.
- Nededog, Jethro. "Fifth Harmony, Becky G and R5 to Perform on Radio Disney Music Awards (Video)". Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- Ng, Philiana. "Radio Disney Music Awards Set 2014 Date and First Performers". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- Wango Tango 2014 - Announced Artists
- "R5: "Heart Made Up On You" EP Out July 22nd; Second Album Out September 30th (@officialR5 #R5family)". CelebSecrets4U.com.
- Up, Ocean. "R5 ‘Second Album Will Be More Mature’". Ocean Up. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "Let's Not Be Alone Tonight - Single". iTunes. 2015-02-13.
- "R5 "All Night" (Single Premiere)". Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "R5 Concert Tour Schedule". June 18, 2015. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- "Pop-rock band R5 announces Jan. 27 concert at Saroyan Theatre". June 17, 2015. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- "Ultimate Music - R5 "F.E.E.L.G.O.O.D." (Single Premiere)". Ultimate Music.
- R5 - All Night (Official Video). YouTube. 8 July 2015.
- "Exclusive: Interview with the band R5 including Disney Channel's Austin & Ally star Ross Lynch". Mirror. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "25 Facts On Ross Lynch". Popstar Magazine. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "Pop-Rock Band R5 Named Radio Disney's Next Big Thing". Hollywood Reporter. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "2013 Radio Disney Music Awards: Nominees Announced! - Bop and Tigerbeat Magazine". bopandtigerbeat.com. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "J-14 TEEN ICON AWARDS: Meet Your 2013 Nominees & Vote Now!". J-14. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "2014 Radio Disney Music Awards". Disney. 2013-03-14.
- "Breaking Artists". Yahoo!. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "Young Hollywood Awards Nominees: Ariana Grande, One Direction & More". Hollywood Life. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "The 2014 Teen Choice Awards Reveals Their Very Long List Of Nominees". ET Online. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "2015 RDMA Nomination Special". Disney Life. 2006-08-23. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- "R5 Tour Book". Zinepark. Retrieved 28 February 2010.
- "R5 Live Tour Book". Wanelo. Retrieved 28 February 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to R5 (band).|