||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: typos, tone. (June 2015)|
R5 at Walmart Soundcheck, in 2014. From left to right: Ellington Ratliff, Rydel Lynch, Ross Lynch, Riker Lynch and Rocky Lynch.
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, United States|
R5 is an American pop rock and rock band formed in Los Angeles, California, in 2009. The band consists of Ross Lynch, Riker Lynch, Rocky Lynch, Rydel Lynch and Ellington Ratliff. In March 2010, they self-released an EP, Ready Set Rock. The second EP, Loud, was released on February 19, 2013, which featured the lead single and title track "Loud", the debut single from upcoming album. The band's first full-length album, Louder, was released on September 24, 2013. The second single from the album, "Pass Me By", premiered on Radio Disney on August 16. The music video premiered on 29 August on Disney Channel and is available for public viewing on the band's Vevo channel. The third single, "(I Can't) Forget About You", was released on December 25, 2013 and reached number 47 on Billboard Digital Pop Songs, and the fourth single "One Last Dance" on May 29, 2014.
The third extended play, entitled Heart Made Up on You, was released on July 22, 2014 and the self-titled single on August 1, 2014. On November 16, 2014 the band released the first single, "Smile", from their second album. On February 16, 2015 the band released the second single "Let's Not Be Alone Tonight" from their second studio album. On April 6, 2015 the band announced their second studio album, Sometime Last Night to be released on July 10, 2015. On June 1, 2015 the band released the third single from the album, titled "All Night." The music video for the song now has over 2.6 million views on YouTube.
2009–11: Formation and Ready Set Rock
R5 is made up of a group of siblings born and raised in Littleton, Colorado, brothers Riker Lynch, Rocky Lynch, Ross Lynch, sister Rydel Lynch and family friend Ellington Ratliff, from Wisconsin. While living in Colorado, the Lynch children went to a performing arts school. They put on shows for their family and charged them at least a dollar to watch them perform in their basement at a young age, as young as four or five. In 2008, Riker, at 16, decided that he wanted to move to L.A. to pursue an acting career. To accommodate, their parents, Stormie and Mark Lynch, moved the whole family to L.A. so that they could stay together. Opportunity after opportunity arose, and the siblings began their debuts on commercials. Rocky began teaching himself guitar via YouTube and taught Ross and Riker how to play.
Four of the brothers were members of the dance team, the Rage Boyz Crew on the T.V. show So You Think You Can Dance in 2009. Ellington Ratliff joined the band on the drums and Rydel picked up the piano/keyboard (she had taken lessons previously), and R5 was created. In Mid-2009, R5 began to make a YouTube web series called R5 TV to "show their fans what they are up to" on Riker's YouTube Channel (Which they then switched to a new channel February 2012). This has proved to be very successful marketing for the band with over 4 million views to date. Throughout mid to late 2012 R5 recorded their debut Loud, which was released on February 19, 2013. They worked with producers Emanuel "Eman" Kiriakou and Evan "Kidd" Bogart for the EP.
They made their first self-created music video for their song "Can't Get Enough of You" on September 4, 2010. The band self released an EP entitled Ready Set Rock on March 9, 2010, consisting of songs written primarily by Riker, Rocky, Rydel, band coach E-Vega, and vocal coach/songwriter, Mauli B. The EP was produced by E-Vega. During these early years they played sets throughout Southern California at venues, including the Orange County Fair, the San Diego County Fair, the San Diego IndieFest, the Knitting Factory, and Six Flags Magic Mountain.
2012–14: Loud, Louder and Heart Made Up On You
In April 2012, the band's members announced via their website that they had signed a record deal with DMG's Hollywood Records and that they were planning for their first Mini Tour in May. The EP Charted in the Top 3 of the iTunes chart within 24 Hours of its Release. One of the four songs on the EP "Here Comes Forever" was written by Riker, Rocky and Ross. Riker has described their debut single "Loud" as "It's like this big huge loud party." On August 16, 2013, the lead single from their debut album was premiered on Radio Disney. "Pass Me By" was released digitally on August 20, 2013, and was available for instant download upon pre-ordering their debut album Louder. The album was released on September 24, 2013  and climbed its way to number 2 on the iTunes charts, being classified as a "Chart-topper" on the iTunes End of the Year Album list. On December 25, 2013, the second single from Louder was released titled "(I Can't) Forget About You" and, shortly after, the official video was released on the band's website.
On February 5, 2014, the band embarked on the first leg of its first world tour starting in Warsaw, Poland. The band toured numerous cities in Europe including: Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, Spain, France, England, Scotland and Ireland and also one show in Israel. The band has also performed at the annual White House Easter Egg Roll and at the Radio Disney Music Awards. On April 24, 2014, the band appeared on Ryan Seacrest's popular KIIS-FM radio show, On Air with Ryan Seacrest, where it was announced that the band would be the opening act at the Wango Tango Music Festival. The band also released a music video on June 9, 2014 to "Rock That Rock", a song written for Candymania's Ring Pop, featuring some clips and pictures sent in by fans. The third extended play, entitled Heart Made Up on You, was released on July 22, 2014 and consists of the songs "Heart Made Up On You," "Things Are Looking Up," "Easy Love," and "Stay With Me." The music video for "Heart Made Up on You" was released on August 1.
2015–present: Sometime Last Night
R5 also announced that their second studio album, was set to be released on July 10th 2015 . Riker revealed that their second album will likely be sounding "more mature" and Ross has started writing songs for it. On November 15, 2014 the band released the first single of the upcoming second studio album, "Smile" and performing the song at the American Music Awards pre-show. "Let's Not Be Alone Tonight", the second single, was released on February 13, 2015 and it was the first sent to mainstream radio. On March 4, 2015 the group hosted an intimate "Hollywood Hang" at the Roxy in Los Angeles with an energetic performance by alternative folk band Magic Giant. On April 16, 2015 concert movie "R5: All Day, All Night" was screened in Regal cinemas for one night only. "All Night" was released as the third single on June 2, along with the album's iTunes pre-order. On June 11, R5 made their late night debut on Jimmy Kimmel Live! with "All Night".
On April 6, 2015 R5 announced first part of a tour named after and in promotion of the up-coming 2nd studio album "Sometime Last Night". The tour will run into 2016 wrapping on March 15, 2016 in Tulsa, OK at the Brady Theater. Jacob Whitesides and Ryland will join them for various dates of the tour. On June 30, 2015 "F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D." was released on iTunes as promotional single. On July 8, 2015 music video for "All Night" was released. The Sometime Last Night Tour touring in USA, Portugal, Spain, UK, The Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Denmark, Sweden, Austria, Poland, France, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Norway, Belgium, Ireland, Canada.
The band cites The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Presley and The Beach Boys as big musical influences. They have also mentioned McFly, Fall Out Boy, The Killers, Neon Trees, Walk the Moon, Maroon 5, Bruno Mars and The Script as their inspiration.
- Current members
- Ross Lynch – lead vocals, rhythm guitar
- Riker Lynch – bass, vocals
- Rocky Lynch – lead guitar, vocals
- Rydel Lynch – keyboards, vocals
- Ellington Ratliff – vocals, drums
Awards and nominations
|2013||Next Big Thing Awards||Next Big Thing||Themselves||Won|||
|Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Music Group||Nominated|||
|Best Acoustic Performance||"Loud"|
|Funniest Celebrity Take||Air Guitar|
|Teen Icon Awards||Iconic Band / Group||Themselves|||
|2014||Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Band||Won|||
|Best Music Group||Nominated|
|Best Song to Rock Out to With Your BFF||"Loud"|
|Favorite Roadtrip Song||"Pass Me By"|
|Show Stopper Award||Themselves||Won|
|Vevo LIFT Fan Vote Awards||Vevo LIFT Artist||Nominated|||
|Young Hollywood Awards||Social Media Superstar|||
|Teen Choice Award||Choice Music Group|||
|2015||Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Band|||
|Best Song That Makes You Smile||"Smile"|
|2013||On The Road||Independent|
|2014||Live on Tour|
- "What Makes R5 'Smile'? Find Out In This Exclusive Behind The Scenes Video". MTV. 2014-12-22. Retrieved 2014-12-22.
- "R5 Gets 'Louder' As Ross Lynch's Profile Grows". MTV. 2013-10-04. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "AllMusic - R5". AllMusic. Retrieved August 23, 2015.
- "R5 – Molson Studio at Hamilton Place – May 6, 2013". Lithium Magazine. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "R5". YouTube.
- Lynch, Riker. "R5 - Can't Get Enough of You - Official Music Video". Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- [dead link] "About". R5Rocks.com. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- Sheehan, Katie (April 30, 2012). "R5 Signs to Hollywood Records". Artistdirect. (April 30, 2012). Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- "Tommy2.net R5's Loud EP cracks Top Ten Album charts on iTunes, YLA tapes Shake It Up segment, Allstar Weekend releases third Tour Diaries video, Everlife updates fans about their new release, Jasmine Sagginario covers Locked Out Of Heaven, Crystal Bowersox previews the track Stitches, Ne-Yo receives a pick on Radio Disney Music Mailbag, Mandy Jiroux on the Tonight Show with Sky Blue, Mindless Behavior appearing in Southaven MS tomorrow - Tommy2.net". Tommy2.net.
- "R5 - We R R5". YouTube. 1 March 2013.
- "iTunes - Music - Louder (Deluxe) by R5". iTunes.
- Nededog, Jethro. "Fifth Harmony, Becky G and R5 to Perform on Radio Disney Music Awards (Video)". Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- Ng, Philiana. "Radio Disney Music Awards Set 2014 Date and First Performers". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- Wango Tango 2014 - Announced Artists
- "R5: "Heart Made Up On You" EP Out July 22nd; Second Album Out September 30th (@officialR5 #R5family)". CelebSecrets4U.com.
- Up, Ocean. "R5 ‘Second Album Will Be More Mature’". Ocean Up. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "Let's Not Be Alone Tonight - Single". iTunes. 2015-02-13.
- "R5 "All Night" (Single Premiere)". Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "R5 Concert Tour Schedule". June 18, 2015. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- "Pop-rock band R5 announces Jan. 27 concert at Saroyan Theatre". June 17, 2015. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- "Exclusive: Interview with the band R5 including Disney Channel's Austin & Ally star Ross Lynch". Mirror. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "25 Facts On Ross Lynch". Popstar Magazine. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "Pop-Rock Band R5 Named Radio Disney's Next Big Thing". Hollywood Reporter. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "2013 Radio Disney Music Awards: Nominees Announced! - Bop and Tigerbeat Magazine". bopandtigerbeat.com. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "J-14 TEEN ICON AWARDS: Meet Your 2013 Nominees & Vote Now!". J-14. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "2014 Radio Disney Music Awards". Disney. 2013-03-14.
- "Breaking Artists". Yahoo!. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "Young Hollywood Awards Nominees: Ariana Grande, One Direction & More". Hollywood Life. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "The 2014 Teen Choice Awards Reveals Their Very Long List Of Nominees". ET Online. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "2015 RDMA Nomination Special". Disney Life. 2006-08-23. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- "R5 Tour Book". Zinepark. Retrieved 28 February 2010.
- "R5 Live Tour Book". Wanelo. Retrieved 28 February 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to R5 (band).|