|Origin||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
R5 is an American pop rock band formed in Los Angeles, California, in 2009. The band consists of lead vocalist/rhythm guitarist Ross Lynch, (bass/vocals) Riker Lynch, Rocky Lynch (lead guitar/vocals), Rydel Lynch (keyboard/vocals), and Ellington Ratliff (drums/vocals). Since releasing their debut album, Louder, on September 24, 2013, which peaked at #24 on the Billboard 200, they have toured across five continents. Their sophomore album, Sometime Last Night, was released on July 10, 2015, and debuted at #6 on the Billboard 200 in the US, and in the top 20 in five other countries. They have also released four EPs, ten singles, and a live DVD.
- 1 History
- 2 Musical influences
- 3 Band members
- 4 Discography
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 6 Concert tours
- 7 Bibliography
- 8 References
- 9 External links
2009–2011: Formation and Ready Set Rock
R5 is made up of brothers Riker Lynch, Rocky Lynch, Ross Lynch and their sister Rydel Lynch, all born and raised in Littleton, Colorado, and family friend Ellington Ratliff, who they met at a California dance studio called the Rage. About a year after meeting, they asked Ratliff to join the band. While living in Colorado, the Lynch siblings went to a performing arts school. They used to put on shows for their family and charged them at least a dollar to watch them perform in their basement. At age 16, Riker decided he wanted to move to Los Angeles to pursue an acting career. Their parents, Mark and Stormie, moved the entire family there in order to stay together. Shortly after the move, the siblings began appearing in commercials, while Rocky began teaching himself, Ross and Riker how to play guitar. In 2009, R5 officiated the band and debuted their YouTube web series, R5 TV, documenting the band's day-to-day life and career beginning. On September 5, they released their first music video, "Without You", directed by Riker.
The band self-released a five-track EP entitled Ready Set Rock on March 9, 2010, consisting of songs written primarily by Riker, Rocky, Rydel, vocal coach Mauli B, and band coach E-Vega, who produced the EP. No official single was released from EP. On September 4 they released a music video for "Can't Get Enough of You" and, in the next mouth, for "Never". On July 26, 2011, the band released their debut promotional single, "Say You'll Stay". The music video was released on August 3. During these early years they played sets throughout Southern California at venues, including the Orange County Fair, the San Diego County Fair, the San Diego IndieFest, the Knitting Factory, and Six Flags Magic Mountain.
2012–2014: Loud and Louder
In April 2012, the band members announced via their website that they had signed a record deal with Hollywood Records, and that they were planning for their first mini-tour in May. They collaborated on charity single "Make Some Noise" for Family Channel's Stand Up philanthropic campaign. Their debut tour, West Coast Tour, started on May 3, 2012 and traveled only to west coast. The second tour, East Coast Tour started on December 15, in Jamestown, New York, and traveled only to east coast serving to promote the band with the younger crowd. They also held three special concerts, entitled 3M Tour, at Madison on November 18, 2012, Milwaukee on November 19 and Minneapolis on November 20. On February 19, 2013, they released the four-song EP Loud, which charted in the top 3 of the iTunes chart within 24 hours of its release. One of the songs on the EP, "Here Comes Forever", was written by Riker, Rocky and Ross. The R5's debut single, "Loud", was released on February 13 and also serves as the first single from the debut album. The song peaked at number 72 in Japan and 199 in United Kingdom. On August 16, 2013, "Pass Me By", the second single from their debut album Louder, was released.
Louder was released on September 24, 2013, and climbed its way to number 2 on the iTunes charts, being classified as a "chart-topper" on the iTunes End of the Year Album list. On December 25, 2013, the third single from Louder was released, titled "(I Can't) Forget About You" and, shortly after, the official video was released on the band's website. The band had songwriting credits on 6 of the 11 songs on Louder. The album includes all four songs from the Loud EP. In March 2013, R5 embarked on a 50-date North American tour, and later that year they toured in Australia. On February 5, 2014, the band embarked on the first leg of its first world tour starting in Warsaw, Poland. They toured numerous countries in Europe including: Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, Spain, France, the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland and Israel. The band also performed at the annual White House Easter Egg Roll and at the Radio Disney Music Awards. On April 24, 2014, the band appeared on Ryan Seacrest's popular KIIS-FM radio show, On Air with Ryan Seacrest, where it was announced that they would be the opening act at the Wango Tango Music Festival. The band released "One Last Dance" as fourth and final single from Louder on May 30, 2014. On June 9, 2014, they released the music video for "Rock That Rock", a song written for Candymania's Ring Pop, featuring fan content.
2014–2016: Heart Made Up On You and Sometime Last Night
Their third EP, Heart Made Up on You, was released on July 22, 2014, and consists of the songs "Heart Made Up On You," "Things Are Looking Up," "Easy Love," and "Stay With Me." The music video for "Heart Made Up on You" was released on August 1, 2014. R5's second full-length album, Sometime Last Night, was released on July 10, 2015. Riker shared in interviews that their second album was "more mature," and that Ross was one of the key writers on the record. Ross stated that, earlier in the year, the band had an entire record finished and mastered, but they had second thoughts and scrapped it, feeling it was too similar to Louder and didn’t accurately reflect the direction they wanted to go in. The album was originally going to include all four songs from the Heart Made Up on You EP. The band rewrote the entire album, taking a bigger role in the album's composition, writing most of the songs on the album. Some of the bonus tracks from the deluxe edition of Sometime Last Night were tracks intended for the original album. On November 15, 2014, the band released the album's lead single, "Smile", and performed the song at the American Music Awards pre-show.
"Let's Not Be Alone Tonight", the second single, was released on February 13, 2015. On March 4, 2015, the group hosted an intimate "Hollywood Hang" at the Roxy in Los Angeles. On April 16, 2015, the band's concert movie, R5: All Day, All Night, was screened in select Regal cinemas for one night only. In the documentary, Rydel and Ratliff confirmed that they are in a relationship. "All Night" was released as the third single on June 2, along with the album's iTunes pre-order. On June 11, R5 made their late night debut, performing "All Night" on Jimmy Kimmel Live!. On April 6, 2015, R5 announced the first leg of their Sometime Last Night Tour. Following the conclusion of their summer tour, R5 released R5 Live: Sometime Last Night At the Greek Theatre, a two-disc DVD set featuring 80-minutes of live music and exclusive behind-the-scenes content. They toured around Europe, Australia, Asia, North America and South America, and wrapped up the last show of the tour on March 17, 2016, in Sioux City, Iowa. Jacob Whitesides joined the band as opener for first leg of the US tour, Jack and Jack opened for them in Australia, and DJ Ryland joined the band for whole tour. On June 30, 2015, "F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D." was released on iTunes as an instant grat track for pre-orders.
On July 8, 2015, the music video for "All Night" was released. On October 17, 2015, R5 released a music video for "I Know You Got Away". The video was shot during the European leg of the Sometime Last Night Tour and was directed by Ross and edited by Rydel. On December 18, 2015, R5 premiered a music video for "Wild Hearts" on Live Nation TV. The video was directed by the band during their trip to Las Vegas for Rocky's 21st birthday. In June 2016, R5 announced that they would headline Youth Music Zone in Kingston, Jamaica, on July 9, 2016. The band will be playing at Summer Sonic Festival in Japan on August 20, 2016. Other artists on the lineup include Underworld, Fergie and Weezer.
2017–present: New Addictions
On March 16, 2017, Riker announced that the band was recording new songs. On April 5, they announced their fifth EP, New Addictions, which will be released on May 12, 2017. New Addictions was given a preview of their song called "Red Velvet" on Ross Lynch's Instagram live stream. The group also gave a preview of their song "If". The EP also includes 3 other songs: "Lay Your Head Down", "Trading Time" and "Need You Tonight". After, the band announced their tour.
The band has cited The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Presley, The Beach Boys, INXS, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Prince and Queen as big musical influences. They have also mentioned more recent artists, including McFly, The Killers, Neon Trees, Walk the Moon, Maroon 5, Jack White, Bruno Mars and The Script.
- Ross Lynch – vocals, rhythm guitar (2009–present)
- Riker Lynch – bass, lead vocals (2009–present)
- Rocky Lynch – lead guitar, backing vocals (2009–present)
- Rydel Lynch – keyboards, piano, percussion, backing vocals (2009–present)
- Ellington Ratliff – drums, percussion, backing vocals (2009–present)
Awards and nominations
|2013||Next Big Thing Awards||Next Big Thing||Themselves||Won|||
|Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Music Group||Nominated|||
|Best Acoustic Performance||"Loud"|
|Funniest Celebrity Take||Air Guitar|
|Teen Icon Awards||Iconic Band / Group||Themselves|||
|2014||Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Band||Won|||
|Best Music Group||Nominated|
|Best Song to Rock Out to With Your BFF||"Loud"|
|Favorite Roadtrip Song||"Pass Me By"|
|Show Stopper Award||Themselves||Won|
|Vevo LIFT Fan Vote Awards||Vevo LIFT Artist||Nominated|||
|Young Hollywood Awards||Social Media Superstar|||
|Teen Choice Award||Choice Music Group|||
|2015||Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Band|||
|Best Song That Makes You Smile||"Smile"|
|2016||Best Music Group||Themselves|||
|2013||On the Road|
|2014||Live on Tour|
- "What Makes R5 'Smile'? Find Out In This Exclusive Behind The Scenes Video". MTV. 2014-12-22. Retrieved 2014-12-22.
- "R5 Gets 'Louder' As Ross Lynch's Profile Grows". MTV. 2013-10-04. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "R5 All Night, New Song Off Sometime Last Night Album". June 2, 2015.
- "R5 All Night, New Song Off Sometime Last Night Album". June 2, 2015.
- "AllMusic - R5". AllMusic. Retrieved August 23, 2015.
- "R5 - Biography". Billboard.
- "R5 All Night, New Song Off Sometime Last Night Album". June 2, 2015.
- "Singers/Actors – Riker and Rydel Lynch of R5," Teen Ink, February 1, 2012.
- Jeff Niesel, "R5 Opts for a More Mature Sound on its Latest Album, 'Sometime Last Night'," Cleveland Scene, February 29, 2016.
- "Happy Birthday Ross Lynch + A Guide To R5," sweetyhigh.com, December 29, 2013.
- Brittany Goldfield Rodrigues, "10 Covers By R5 That Give Us A Lot Of Feelings," andpop.com, June 15, 2016.
- "R5 - Without You (Official video)". Riker Lynch Channel. Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- "About". R5Rocks.com. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- Rachel Ho, "Ready, Set… R5," StarPulse, January 8, 2013.
- "R5 - Can't Get Enough of You (Official video)". Riker Lynch Channel. Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- "R5 - Never (Official video)". Riker Lynch Channel. Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- "Say You'll Stay (Acoustic Version) – Single – R5". iTunes Store. Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- "R5 - Say You'll Stay (Official video)". Riker Lynch Channel. Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- Sheehan, Katie (April 30, 2012). "R5 Signs to Hollywood Records". Artistdirect. (April 30, 2012). Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- Jason Lipshutz, "R5 Gets 'Louder' as Ross Lynch's Profile Grows," Billboard, October 4, 2013.
- "R5 and Victoria Duffield Sing on Family's "Make Some Noise"". The Magazine. Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- "Don't Miss R5 on Tour this Spring". R5 Rocks. May 3, 2012. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- "Ross Lynch And R5's West Coast Tour Begins Today, May 3, 2012". Disney Dreaming. May 3, 2012. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- "R5 East Coast Tour". R5 Rocks. May 3, 2012. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- "R5 Answers Fan Questions on Their 3M Tour". Fanlala. March 16, 2013.
- "All About R5". Excite. March 16, 2013.
- "Tommy2.net R5's Loud EP cracks Top Ten Album charts on iTunes, YLA tapes Shake It Up segment, Allstar Weekend releases third Tour Diaries video, Everlife updates fans about their new release, Jasmine Sagginario covers Locked Out Of Heaven, Crystal Bowersox previews the track Stitches, Ne-Yo receives a pick on Radio Disney Music Mailbag, Mandy Jiroux on the Tonight Show with Sky Blue, Mindless Behavior appearing in Southaven MS tomorrow - Tommy2.net". Tommy2.net.
- "R5 - We R R5". YouTube. 1 March 2013.
- "Japan Hot 100". Billboard. 2012-09-08. Retrieved 2012-09-13.
- "CHART: CLUK Update 15.03.2014 (wk10)". UK Charts. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- "R5's Album Louder is Finally Here!" Tiger Beat, September 24, 2013.
- "R5 reveals true self on 'Sometime Last Night' tour," The Augusta Chronicle, February 13, 2016.
- Jonathon Moran, "Ross Lynch on R5 getting more musical, acting ambitions and chilling with his Aussie girlfriend," The Daily Telegraph, December 21, 2015.
- Nededog, Jethro. "Fifth Harmony, Becky G and R5 to Perform on Radio Disney Music Awards (Video)". Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- Ng, Philiana. "Radio Disney Music Awards Set 2014 Date and First Performers". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- Wango Tango 2014 - Announced Artists
- Alex Abel, "Watch The Exclusive Premiere Of The Video For 'One Last Dance'," Seventeen, May 29, 2014.
- "R5: "Heart Made Up On You" EP Out July 22nd; Second Album Out September 30th (@officialR5 #R5family)". CelebSecrets4U.com.
- Gary Graff, "R5 Shows Its 'Dark Side' on Latest Single," Billboard, July 7, 2015.
- Up, Ocean. "R5 'Second Album Will Be More Mature'". Ocean Up. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- Kiko Miyasato, "R5: Young and the Restless," Las Vegas Magazine, December 25, 2015.
- "Let's Not Be Alone Tonight - Single". iTunes. 2015-02-13.
- Virginia Van de Wall, "R5 Members Rydel Lynch and Ellington Ratliff Confirm That They’re Dating," J-14, April 17, 2015.
- "R5 "All Night" (Single Premiere)". Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "R5 Concert Tour Schedule". June 18, 2015. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- "R5 Live Sometime Last Night Tour DVD". R5 Live Sometime Last Night Tour DVD | Home | Ready, 5et, ROCK!. Retrieved 2016-01-21.
- "Pop-rock band R5 announces Jan. 27 concert at Saroyan Theatre". June 17, 2015. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- "Ultimate Music - R5 "F.E.E.L.G.O.O.D." (Single Premiere)". Ultimate Music.
- R5 - All Night (Official Video). YouTube. 8 July 2015.
- R5 - I Know You Got Away (Official Video), 2015-10-17, retrieved 2016-01-21
- "Ross Lynch Directs R5′s New Video 'I Know You Got Away' – Watch Now!". Ross Lynch Directs R5′s New Video ‘I Know You Got Away’ – Watch Now! | Courtney Eaton, Ellington Ratliff, Music, Music Video, R5, Riker Lynch, Rocky Lynch, Ross Lynch, Rydel Lynch : Just Jared Jr. Retrieved 2016-01-21.
- "Premiere: R5 Take a Vegas Vacation In the Video for 'Wild Hearts' | Live Nation TV". Live Nation TV. Retrieved 2016-01-21.
- "R5 to headline YMZ at stadium," Jamaica Observer, June 20, 2016.
- "R5 Set to Perform at Summer Sonic 2016 in Japan," ready5etrock.com, March 9, 2016.
- "A Chat with Riker Lynch of R5". Pop Mania. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- "New Addictions Pre-release Listening Party". R5 Rocks. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- "R5's 'New Addictions' Officially Has a Release Date -- Fans React," Just Jared Jr., April 24, 2017.
- New Addictions, Glitter, April 20, 2017.
- "Exclusive: Interview with the band R5 including Disney Channel's Austin & Ally star Ross Lynch". Mirror. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "25 Facts On Ross Lynch". Popstar Magazine. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- Jonathon Moran, "R5 channel INXS on tour and Ross Lynch reveals how much he loves Australia," The Daily Telegraph, January 18, 2016.
- "Pop-Rock Band R5 Named Radio Disney's Next Big Thing". Hollywood Reporter. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "2013 Radio Disney Music Awards: Nominees Announced! - Bop and Tigerbeat Magazine". bopandtigerbeat.com. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "J-14 TEEN ICON AWARDS: Meet Your 2013 Nominees & Vote Now!". J-14. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "2014 Radio Disney Music Awards". Disney. 2013-03-14.
- "Breaking Artists". Yahoo!. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "Young Hollywood Awards Nominees: Ariana Grande, One Direction & More". Hollywood Life. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "The 2014 Teen Choice Awards Reveals Their Very Long List Of Nominees". ET Online. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "2015 RDMA Nomination Special". Disney Life. 2006-08-23. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- "Radio Disney Music Awards 2016 Winners: The Complete List". E! Online. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- "R5 Tour Book". Zinepark. Retrieved 28 February 2010.
- "R5 Live Tour Book". Wanelo. Retrieved 28 February 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to R5 (band).|