Sonne as ARA Austral
|Operator||RF Forschungsschiffahrt GmbH|
|Port of registry||Bremen, Germany|
|Route||Pacific Ocean, Indian Ocean|
|Builder||Rickmers Werft, Bremerhaven, Germany|
|Laid down||August 1968|
|Out of service||August 2014|
|Renamed||25 June 2015, to ARA Austral|
|Fate||Sold to Argentina|
|Cost||$54,192,935 ARS, €5,150,000|
|Acquired||12 December 2014|
|In service||7 November 2015|
|Status||Active as of 2018|
|Class and type||Research vessel|
|Length||97.61 m (320 ft 3 in)|
|Beam||14.20 m (46 ft 7 in)|
|Draught||6.80 m (22 ft 4 in)|
|Speed||12.0 knots (22.2 km/h)|
|Crew||25 + 25 scientists|
The RV Sonne (German for 'Sun') was a former German fishing trawler converted into a research vessel by Schichau Unterweser AG, doing mostly geoscience-related work for a variety of commercial and scientific clients. She was registered in Bremen. In 2015 she was sold to the Argentine institute CONICET and was renamed ARA Austral (Q-21). A new geoscientific research ship, also called RV Sonne, replaced her role in Germany that same year.
Rickmers Werft built Sonne in 1969 as a stern trawler and delivered her to Hochseefischerei Nordstern. From her homeport of Bremerhaven she operated mainly in the waters around Iceland, Greenland and Labrador.
An order worth €124.4 million for a new geoscientific research ship was placed by the German federal ministry for education and research (90%) together with the coastal states Lower Saxony, Schleswig-Holstein, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Bremen and Hamburg (10%) in May 2011. The new ship, also called Sonne, was built in Meyer Werft in Papenburg, and replaced the old Sonne in 2015. Its launch took place on 5 April 2014.
The last German cruise of RV Sonne took place in August 2014, after which she was retired from German scientific use.
She was sold to the Argentinian institute CONICET for € 5.150.000 and she arrived in the Argentine Navy naval base at Mar del Plata in February 2015. In June she was renamed ARA Austral (Q-21). Austral is operated by a naval crew, on behalf of the civilian agency CONICET.
In popular culture
- RV Sonne (2014) - the successor of RV Sonne
- "RV Sonne - datasheet in English language" (PDF, 1.6 MB). www.rf-bremen.com. RF Forschungsschiffahrt GmbH. Retrieved 21 November 2011.
- Periodico Tribuna - El Gobierno compró buque nuevo (y miles de litros de alcohol para celebrar)
- Telam - La Presidenta encabezó la presentación del buque de investigación ARA Austral
- Nestler, Ralf (31 May 2011). "Sonnenaufgang für die Meeresforscher" [Sunrise for marine researchers]. www.tagesspiegel.de (in German). Der Tagesspiegel. Retrieved 21 November 2011.
- "Das neue Forschungsschiff "Sonne" verlässt das Baudock I der MEYER WERFT". Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- Frank Schätzing. The Swarm. p. Chapter "April 22nd".
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (January 2016)