Rabī’ al-Thānī (Arabic: ربيع الثاني, also transliterated Rabīʿ al-Ṯānī, IPA: [raˈbiːʕ æθˈθæːniː]) is the fourth month in the Islamic calendar. It is also known as Rabī` al-Ākhir (ربيع الآخر, also transliterated Rabīʿ al-ʾĀḫir/rabīʻ al-āḵir, IPA: [raˈbiːʕ ˈʔæːxɪr]).
The Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar, and months begin when the first crescent of a new moon is sighted. Since the Islamic lunar calendar year is 11 to 12 days shorter than the tropical year, Rabī' al-Thānī migrates throughout the seasons. The estimated start and end dates for Rabī' al-Thānī are as follows (based on the Umm al-Qura calendar of Saudi Arabia):
|AH||First day (CE / AD)||Last day (CE / AD)|
|1437||11 January 2016||9 February 2016|
|1438||30 December 2016||28 January 2017|
|1439||19 December 2017||17 January 2018|
|1440||8 December 2018||6 January 2019|
|1441||28 November 2019||26 December 2019|
|1442||16 November 2020||15 December 2020|
|Rabī' al-Thānī dates between 2016 and 2020|
- 08 or 10 Rabī' al-Thānī, birth of Twelver Imam, Hasan al-Askari
- 10 or 12 Rabī’ al-Thānī, death of Fātimah bint Mūsā
- 11 of Rabī’ al-Thānī, death of Abdul-Qadir Gilani, the Sufi sheikh who is believed to be the "saint of saints"
- 15 of Rabi' al-Thani, death of Habib Abu Bakr al-Haddad
- 27 of Rabi' al-Thani, death of Mujadid Alf Thani (Shaykh Ahmed Sirhindi)
- 28 or 29 of Rabī’ al-Thānī, death of ibn Arabi, the great philosopher from Spain who died and rests in Damascus, Syria.
- Abu Hurairah said that the Prophet said:
There will be an Ayah (sign) in (the month of) Ramadan. Then, there will 'isabah (splitting into groups) in Shawwal. Then, there will be fighting in (the month of) Dhu al-Qi'dah. Then, the pilgrim will be robbed in (the month of) Dhu al-Hijjah. Then, the prohibitions will be violated in (the month of) al-Muharram. Then, there will be sound in (the month of) Safar, then the tribes will conflict with each other in the two months of Rabi' al-awwal & Rabi' al-thani. Then, the most amazing thing will happen between (the months of) Jumada and Rajab. Then, a well-fed she-camel will be better than a fortress (castle) sheltering a thousand (people).
- Umm al-Qura calendar of Saudi Arabia
- "Sheikh Muhyiddin Ibn Al-Arabi (RA) - URS 22 Rabi al-Thani". LoveMeditation-Naqshbandi | Maida Vale Naqshbandi Rabbani Group | Islamic History | Sufi Events | Sufi Saints History. 29 January 2016.
- Al-Haakim, Naim ibn Hammad, Kitab Al-Fitan