Rabī’ al-Thānī (Arabic: ربيع الثاني, also transliterated Rabīʿ al-Ṯānī, IPA: [raˈbiːʕ æθˈθæːniː]) is the fourth month in the Islamic calendar. It is also known as Rabī` al-Ākhir (ربيع الآخر, also transliterated Rabīʿ al-ʾĀḫir/rabīʻ al-āḵir, IPA: [raˈbiːʕ ˈʔæːxɪr]).
The Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar, and months begin when the first crescent of a new moon is sighted. Since the Islamic lunar calendar year is 11 to 12 days shorter than the tropical year, Rabī' al-Thānī migrates throughout the seasons. The estimated start and end dates for Rabī' al-Thānī are as follows (based on the Umm al-Qura calendar of Saudi Arabia):
|AH||First day (CE / AD)||Last day (CE / AD)|
|1437||11 January 2016||9 February 2016|
|1438||30 December 2016||28 January 2017|
|1439||19 December 2017||17 January 2018|
|1440||8 December 2018||6 January 2019|
|1441||28 November 2019||26 December 2019|
|1442||16 November 2020||15 December 2020|
|Rabī' al-Thānī dates between 2016 and 2020|
- 08 or 10 Rabī' al-Thānī, birth of Twelver Imam, Hasan al-Askari
- 10 or 12 Rabī’ al-Thānī, death of Fātimah bint Mūsā
- 11 of Rabī’ al-Thānī, death of Abdul-Qadir Gilani, the Sufi sheikh who is believed to be the "saint of saints"
- 15 of Rabi' al-Thani, death of Habib Abu Bakr al-Haddad
- 27 of Rabi' al-Thani, death of Mujadid Alf Thani (Shaykh Ahmed Sirhindi)
- 28 or 29 of Rabī’ al-Thānī, death of ibn Arabi, the great philosopher from Spain who died and rests in Damascus, Syria.
- Abu Hurairah said that the Prophet said:
There will be an Ayah(sign) in (the month of) Ramadan. Then, there will 'isabah (splitting into groups) in Shawwal. Then, there will be fighting in (the month of) Dhu al-Qi'dah. Then, the pilgrim will be robbed in (the month of) Dhu al-Hijjah. Then, the prohibitions will be violated in (the month of) al-Muharram. Then, there will be sound in (the month of) Safar, then the tribes will conflict with each other in the two months of Rabi' al-awwal & Rabi' al-thani. Then, the most amazing thing will happen between (the months of) Jumada and Rajab. Then, a well-fed she-camel will be better than a fortress (castle) sheltering a thousand (people).
- Umm al-Qura calendar of Saudi Arabia
- "Sheikh Muhyiddin Ibn Al-Arabi (RA) - URS 22 Rabi al-Thani". LoveMeditation-Naqshbandi | Maida Vale Naqshbandi Rabbani Group | Islamic History | Sufi Events | Sufi Saints History. 29 January 2016.
- Al-Haakim, Naim ibn Hammad, Kitab Al-Fitan