|Broadcast area||South Yorkshire|
|Slogan||Your Music, Your Life|
97.4 MHz (Sheffield)
102.9 MHz (Barnsley and Rotherham)
103.4 MHz (Doncaster)
|First air date||1 October 1974|
|Format||Contemporary hit radio|
|Audience share||10.7% (June 2014, RAJAR)|
|Sister stations||Hallam 2
|Webcast||Hallam FM Radioplayer|
Hallam FM is an independent local radio station serving South Yorkshire from studios in Sheffield. The station is owned and operated by Bauer Radio and forms part of Bauer's City 1 network of stations.
The station started broadcasting on 1548 kHz/194m AM, 95.2 and 95.9 MHz FM under the name of Radio Hallam from its studios at Hartshead in Sheffield City Centre on 1 October 1974. The first presenter heard on air was ex-BBC Radio 1 DJ Johnny Moran - the first record he played was I've Got the Music in Me by Kiki Dee, which stuck after a minute and a half.
In 1987, Radio Hallam merged with neighbouring Yorkshire stations Pennine Radio in Bradford and Viking Radio in Hull to form the now-defunct Yorkshire Radio Network. Currently, Hallam FM shares some weekend programming and news material with Radio Aire in Leeds.
The frequencies were changed during the 1980s to 96.1 FM for Rotherham, 97.4 FM for Sheffield, 102.9 FM for Barnsley, and 103.4 for the rest of South Yorkshire. After a take-over of the parent company YRN by the Metro Radio Group, the AM frequency became Great Yorkshire Gold. The Rotherham transmitter was turned off in the 1990s as part of Hallam's licence agreement and is now used by Rother FM. Hallam also moved its studio facilities to 900 Herries Road, just minutes from Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough ground. The office space at Hartshead is now used by the Sheffield Star newspaper.
In 2011 Bauer Media's Big City Network was replaced by the Place Portfolio containing the group's radio stations which are focused on specific areas of the country.
Unification of Bauer Place stations
As of 17 February 2014 the following changes were made to Bauer Place stations in England and Scotland:
- A single In:Demand syndicated programme with new presenter Stu Tolan.
- Neil Bentley's Old Skool & Anthems programme which was shared between Key 103 and 97.4 Rock FM was extended to 12 other Bauer Place stations.
- 16 Bauer Place stations now have a single audio identity and new strapline Your Life, Your Music.
The station broadcasts on analogue frequencies on 97.4 FM (Tapton Hill), 103.4 FM (Clifton, near the M18) and 102.9 FM (Ardsley) in Sheffield, Doncaster and Barnsley respectively. Almost the whole region is covered on 103.4 FM. The station also broadcasts via DAB on the Bauer Radio multiplex, and online.
Local programming is produced and broadcast from Hallam FM's Sheffield studios from 6am-2pm and 3-7pm on weekdays, 2-6pm on Saturdays and 12-4pm on Sundays.
Hallam FM also airs networked programming from sister station Key 103 in Manchester via the Bauer City 1 network. The Vodafone Big Top 40 is syndicated from Global Radio at its Capital studios in London for broadcast on over 145 commercial radio stations across the UK.
The station's local presenters include John Harrison, Liesl Soards and James Crookes (Big John at Breakfast), Richie Pearson (weekday daytime, Saturday afternoons), Simon Morykin (Home Run, Saturday breakfast) and Carl Spencer (Sunday afternoons).
Hallam FM broadcasts local news bulletins hourly from 6am to 7pm on weekdays, from 7am to 1pm on Saturdays and Sundays. Headlines are broadcast on the half hour during weekday breakfast and drivetime shows, alongside sport and traffic bulletins.
Notable current presenters
Notable past presenters
- Steve Banyard
- Tom Binns
- Beverley Chubb
- Simon Clark
- Jon Culshaw
- Daryl Denham
- Simon Hirst
- Lucy Horobin (now with Heart Solent)
- Martin Kelner
- Cindy Kent
- Dave Kilner
- Roger Kirk
- Stuart Linnell (now at BBC Radio Northampton & BBC Coventry & Warwickshire)
- Vicky Locklin
- Diana Luke
- Nick Margerrison (now at The Bay)
- Roger Moffat 
- Scottie McClue
- Jonathan Miles
- Johnny Moran (first ever presenter)
- Ed Nell
- Howard Pressman (now at BBC Radio Sheffield)
- Steve Priestley
- James H Reeve
- Chris Rodgers (now BBC newsreader and reporter)
- Mike Rouse
- Ian Rufus (original head of News), (first ever newsreader)
- Tim Shaw
- Keith Skues (former Programme & Station Director, 1974 -1987)
- Colin Slade
- Ray Stuart
- Kelly Temple (1975 - 1980)
- Media UK - Hallam FM
- In:Demand returns with new host Bauer Media, 17 January 2014
- Daytime sharing arrives at Bauer stations Radio Today, 31 January 2014
- Wise Buddah rebrands 16 Bauer stations Radio Today, 13 February 2014
- Hallam FM - DJs
- JK and Lucy join Heart Solent Radio Today, 16 January 2012