Rain or Shine Elasto Painters draft history

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Prior to the draft, they were allowed to carry over three players from their PBL team: Jay-R Reyes, Junjun Cabatu and Jay Sagad. Furthermore, they also took part in an expansion draft in which they were able to select three players from the other PBA teams who were not protected by their clubs, acquiring Rob Wainwright, Gilbert Lao and Denver Lopez in the process.[1] Starting at the 2005 draft, the league has limited the draft to two rounds;[2] all undrafted players will become free agents.

Abby Santos from the University of the Philippines, Diliman became the team's first draft choice, the 10th pick in the 2006 PBA Draft, although he was not signed by the team. The immediate next pick, his schoolmate Jireh Ibañes, was the first draftee to play for the team.

Just as with other expansion teams, Welcoat had a difficult first couple of seasons, allowing them to participate in the draft lottery. Like in the National Basketball Association (NBA) Draft, a draft lottery determines which team gets the first overall draft pick, but on a much smaller scale; only the two worst-performing teams in the preceding season participate. The team with the worst record has a 67% chance of clinching the #1 seed while the second-worst only gets a 33% chance.[3]

In Rain or Shine's eight seasons in the league, they were able to select two number one overall draft picks: Joe Devance from the University of Texas, El Paso and Gabe Norwood from George Mason University. Devance was awarded as a member of the league's all-rookie team in 2008,[4] while Norwood was adjudged unanimously as the Rookie of the Year.[5]

Selections[edit]

Basketball positions
PG Point guard
SG Shooting guard
SF Small forward
PF Power forward
C Center
Draft Round Pick Player Place of birth[1] Position School
2006[6] 1 10 Abby Santos  Philippines SG University of the Philippines, Diliman
2 11 Jireh Ibañes  Philippines SG University of the Philippines, Diliman
2007[7] 1 1 Joe Devance  United States PF University of Texas, El Paso
2 12 Ryan Araña  Philippines PG De La Salle University-Manila
2008[8] 1 1 Gabe Norwood  United States SF George Mason University
2 12 Tyrone Tang  Philippines PG De La Salle University-Manila
2009[9] 1 5 Jervy Cruz  Philippines C University of Santo Tomas
2 14 Marcy Arellano  Philippines SG University of the East
2010[10] 1 5 Josh Vanlandingham  United States SG Pacific Lutheran University
2 15 RJ Jazul  Philippines PG Colegio de San Juan de Letran
2011[11] 1 2 Paul Lee  Philippines SG University of the East
2012[12] 1 7 Chris Tiu  Philippines G Ateneo de Manila
3 27 Raymund Austria  Philippines G/F Ateneo de Manila
4 34 Jewel Palomique  Philippines F Mapúa
2013 1 3 Raymond Almazan  Philippines PF/C Letran
9 Alex Nuyles  Philippines SG Adamson
2 12 Jeric Teng  Philippines SG UST
19 Gayford Rodriguez  Philippines SG Visayas
3 29 Ervic Vijandre  Philippines De La Salle
2014 1 2 Kevin Alas  Philippines G Letran
9 Jericho Cruz  Philippines G AdU
2 14 Kevin Espinosa  Philippines F/G MIT
21 Mike Gamboa  Philippines G UP
2015 1 3 Maverick Ahanmisi  United States PG Minnesota
12 Josan Nimes  Philippines SF MIT
2 15 Don Trollano  Philippines SF AdU
17 Simon Enciso  Philippines PG Notre Dame de Namur
2016 Special draft Mike Tolomia  Philippines G FEU

Notes[edit]

1.^ All players entering the draft are Filipinos until proven otherwise.

References[edit]

  1. ^ "Welcoat lands Wainwright, Lopez, Lao in dispersal draft". PBA.ph. 2006-08-11. Retrieved 2009-04-27. [dead link]
  2. ^ "After Washington, who?". PBA.ph. 2005-08-31. Archived from the original on February 17, 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-27. 
  3. ^ "Again, Welcoat to pick first in PBA rookie draft". GMANews.tv. 2008-08-02. Retrieved 2009-02-02. 
  4. ^ "Fernandez, Encarnado feted in PBA media awards tonite". The Philippine Star. 2008-04-27. Retrieved 2008-09-02. 
  5. ^ "Kings' Helterbrand reigns supreme in PBA". The Philippine Star. 2009-07-08. Retrieved 2009-08-15. 
  6. ^ Navarro, June (21 August 2006). "Realtors pick Williams; Air21 settles for Santos". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2 February 2009. 
  7. ^ Castillo, Musong (20 August 2007). "Welcoat taps Devance; Eman to San Miguel". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2 February 2009. 
  8. ^ "Fil-Americans dominate '08 PBA freshman class". GMANews.tv. 2008-08-31. Retrieved 2009-02-02. 
  9. ^ "Burger King sticks to plan, picks Aguilar No. 1". GMANews.tv. 2008-08-31. Retrieved 2009-02-02. 
  10. ^ Joble, Rey (2010-08-29). "Top of the class: Baclao chosen No.1 over Rabeh". GMANews.tv. Retrieved 2010-08-29. 
  11. ^ Bolante, Mikkel (2011-08-28). "Casio first, Lee second in 2011 PBA draft". InterAKTV. Retrieved 2011-12-28. 
  12. ^ 2012 PBA Draft Results, InterAKTV, August 19, 2012