रामापुर, Rama Pur
|Elevation||2,661 ft (811 m)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5.30)|
|Area code(s)||91-05460 (telephone)|
|Parliament Constituency||Katghar Lalganj-Azamgarh|
Ramapur (Hindi: रामापुर) village and post, or Rama Pur as it is known for postal purposesis a village-gram panchayat in Pawai Block, Phulpur, Azamgarh, Uttar Pradesh, India comprising five villages located on the Sultanpur-Azamgarh road. A visit to the village by Indira Gandhi in 1982 led to Ramapur becoming the first village in the area to be provided indoor electricity. Ramapur was inhabited during the Muslim reign of the area around 1700 A.D. by the Brahmins of the village, of Oril village, Azamgarh. Oril is original village of Ramapur resident's where "Baba Yogi Sarang Dhar" and "Mata Ji" is still worshiped near "Sacred Banyan Tree" after marriage ceremony by people of Ramapur. "Baba Yogi Sarang Dhar (Dhar=who keep and Sarang=moon i.e. means Lord Shiva)" was of Basti district origin (routed from Kashmir)whom the five village (Ramapur, Auradar, Goomkothi, Laggupur, Bag-Vahar) along with the Oril itself donated by the Muslim Landalord including Ramapur and "Mata Ji" was from Jaunpur district. In connection with this it has intimate relation with Bishunpur-Jaunpur at present time too as a well known proof of relation with Jaunpur.
The village name was chosen by the inhabiting Kashyapa Gotra Saryupareen Brahmin inhabitants who mainly follow Lord Rama and Sita and their Kul Devi is Deva Kali (Mixed form of Maha Lakshmi, Maha Saraswati and Mahagauri/Parvati). The village people also worship other Hindu deities such as Durga, Krishna, Vishnu and Shiva. People of the village are referred to as Triphala Pandey Brahmins. The village prides itself on maintaining "Communal harmony" between Hindu, Muslims and people of other religions. People from Ramapur Village avail educational opportunities at Allahabad University, BHU, Purvanchal University (India) and Deen Dayal Upadhyay Gorakhpur University. The agricultural productivity of the village is good, but it is hampered by the shortage of agricultural fields resulting in most inhabitants seeking employment elsewhere, noticeably in Mumbai.
Two prominent inhabitants of Ramapur village are Prem Chand Pandey, presently Professor at Indian Institute of Technology Bhubaneswar, who has been the Founder Director NCAOR-Goa and intimately associated with the Indian Antarctic Program and ISRO, and Dr. Abhay Chand Pandey, born 1932 a physician who was the Kashi Sambhag Pracharak of Vishva Hindu Parishad (VHP) and Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) and a close associate of Rajendra Singh of the RSS and Atal Bihari Vajpayee, former Prime Minister of India. Another village inhabitant of cherished memory to the community was Bachan Ram Pandey (1933–1957), a social servant of the Indian National Congress who led a trade union with George Fernandes in Hindustan Cotton Mills Limited. The one of the five village consortium of Ramapur, i.e. the Laggupur village have prominent inhabitant (the famous mathematician), Prof. Hans Dev Pandey, who is the former Head of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Deen Dayal Upadhyay Gorakhpur University; regional Coordinator of Mathematics Olympiad of Uttar Pradesh East; and also author of about five important books of the repute on Mathematics
- “Ramapur on INDIA MAPIA”. Ramapur on Azamgarh map
- Census of India 2001 : Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns. (Provisional). Census Commission of India. Ramapur is located at . Retrieved on 2007-09-03
- "Ramapur Azamgarh". India Postal Services
- Village Directory. 2001 Census of India: S No.- 1533, Ramapur- Village Code-08777900 Sub district (Tahseel) name Phulpur, Azamgarh
- “ Pin Code of Ramapur at pincode.net” is Pin Code of Ramapur is 223225
- Rama Pur, (Uttar Pradesh) Map on India Map. Ramapur-223225 on India Map
- Azamgarh District PIN Codes and Zip Codes. Oril having Pin Code 223222
- Triphala means tri-partite or three-leaeved fruit.
- "Hindustan Cotton Mills". web page of Hindustan Spinning and Weaving Mills Limited
- “Mathematics Olympiad regional coordinator of Uttar Pradesh East”
- “12th Fellow of International Association of Physical Sciences: Prof. H. D. Pande (Ex- Head of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics), Gorakhpur, 2001”