January 9, 1986 |
|Height||5 ft 11 in (180 cm)|
|Weight||198 lb (90 kg; 14 st 2 lb)|
|New York Rangers
|Men's Ice hockey|
|Competitor for Switzerland|
Raphael Salvador Diaz (born January 9, 1986) is a Swiss professional ice hockey defenceman currently playing with the New York Rangers in the National Hockey League (NHL). He began his professional career with EV Zug in 2003 and has also played with the Montreal Canadiens.
Diaz was selected to play for the Switzerland men's national ice hockey team at the 2010 and 2014 Winter Olympics. He previously represented Switzerland at the 2004 IIHF World U18 Championships, the 2005 and 2006 IIHF World U20 Championship, and the 2008 Ice Hockey World Championship.
On May 13, 2011, Diaz signed a one year two-way contract with the Montreal Canadiens of the NHL. He made his NHL debut October 6, 2011 against the Toronto Maple Leafs. Diaz scored his first NHL goal on October 18, 2011, against Ryan Miller of the Buffalo Sabres in the 2nd Period. He appeared as a rookie team member at the 2012 All Star game skills competition, as an injury replacement for Adam Larsson. He participated in the G Series NHL Skills Challenge Relay performing the control relay skill skating with the puck through a series of 6 cones. Diaz was traded to the Vancouver Canucks on February 3, 2014 for Dale Weise. On March 5, 2014, Diaz was traded to the New York Rangers for a 5th round pick in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft 
Diaz's father is originally from Spain, while his mother is Swiss. His name was originally 'Rafael,' and is still used by the Swiss national team, though as his passport uses 'Raphael' he uses that as his official name.
Regular season and playoffs
|Junior int'l totals||17||2||5||7||18|
|Senior int'l totals||26||3||2||5||12|
- "Raphael Diaz signed by the Canadiens". Montréal Canadiens. 2011-05-13. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
- Stubbs, Dave (2011-10-07). "Dream begins for rookie Diaz". The Gazette (Montreal). Retrieved 2014-02-03.
- "Sabres win as Habs continue to struggle". CBC Sports. 2011-10-18. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- "Habs' Diaz, Rangers' Hagelin added to All-Star rookie roster". The Sports Network. 2012-01-25. Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- "2012 NHL All-Star skills". National Hockey League. 2012-1-29. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- Canadian Press (2014-02-03). "Canadiens trade Diaz to Canucks for Weise". The Sports Network. Retrieved 2014-02-03.
- "Canucks send defenceman Raphael Diaz to Rangers for fifth-round pick". The Canadian Press. 2014-03-05. Retrieved 2014-03-05.
- Associated Press (2012-07-13). "Canadiens sign Swiss defenceman Raphael Diaz to two-year contract". NHL.com. Retrieved 2014-02-03.