Reply All (podcast)
|Hosted by||PJ Vogt and Alex Goldman|
|Genre||technology, human interest|
|No. of episodes||(list of episodes)|
|Original release||2014 – present|
Reply All is an American podcast from Gimlet Media, hosted by PJ Vogt and Alex Goldman. The show features stories about how people shape the internet, and how the internet shapes people. Vogt and Goldman previously hosted the technology and culture podcast TLDR for WNYC. Producers include Phia Bennin, Tim Howard, Damiano Marchetti, and Sruthi Pinnamaneni. The music is by Breakmaster Cylinder.
Each episode varies in format, with some recurring segments, including "Yes, Yes, No", in which Vogt and Goldman explain internet trivia to Alex Blumberg, co-founder of Gimlet Media, with occasional help from outside guests. In a variation on this segment called "Sports, Sports, Sports", Blumberg instead explains sports-related tweets to Vogt and Goldman. The segment debuted in Episode #106, "Is that You, KD?". In another recurring segment, called "Super Tech Support", the Reply All team—particularly Goldman, who previously worked as a network administrator—take on odd or especially complex tech support issues that the listeners or friends of the hosts have encountered.
Reception and awards
The podcast has received mostly positive reviews, receiving an average of 5 stars on Apple Podcasts, with over 10,000 reviews.
The podcast was nominated in 2015 and 2016 for a Shorty Award. The nomination cited its unusual social media presence, including an event where the hosts accepted phone calls from listeners for 48 hours straight.
- "How Gimlet hopes to win the podcasting arms race". Digiday. 2016-08-19. Retrieved 2018-03-15.
- Olukotun, Deji (14 February 2015). "ReplyAll and the Battle for Storytelling About the Net". Huffington Post. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- "About Reply All". Retrieved 16 February 2015.
- Cyrus Farivar (January 10, 2015). "Why I love Reply All and you should too". Ars Technica. Retrieved June 2, 2015.
- Landers, Kim (May 16, 2016). "Co-host of popular podcast Reply All in Melbourne this week for forum". Retrieved July 10, 2016.
- "The Mysterious Breakmaster Cylinder Opens Up: An Interview". Exolymph. 2016-07-31. Retrieved 2018-06-08.
- Episode #1 - An App Sends a Stranger to Say "I Love You" - Gimlet Media (November 24, 2014)
- Talks at Google (2017-03-16), Alex Goldman and PJ Vogt: "Gimlet's Reply All" | Talks at Google, retrieved 2017-11-20
- "Reply All | The Webby Awards". Retrieved 2016-07-11.
- "Yes Yes No". Yes Yes No. Retrieved 2018-06-08.
- "#106 Is That You, KD? by Reply All". Gimlet Media. Retrieved 2018-06-08.
- "#76 Lost in a Cab by Reply All". Gimlet Media. September 8, 2016. Retrieved 2018-08-19.
- "Reply All by Gimlet Media on Apple Podcasts". Apple Podcasts. Retrieved 2018-06-08.
- "Reply All - The Shorty Awards". shortyawards.com. Retrieved 2018-06-08.
- "Mixcloud Online Radio Awards | Nominee - Reply All". www.mora.fm. Retrieved 2018-06-08.
- Wolfson, Elijah. "The Casties: Quartz's awards for the best podcasts of 2017". Quartz. Retrieved 2018-06-09.