Republic (LIRR station)
|Location||Broad Hollow Road and Conklin Street
Farmingdale, New York
|Platforms||2 side platform|
|Opened||December 9, 1940|
|Closed||1986 or 1987|
Republic was a station stop along the Ronkonkoma Branch which served employees of the Fairchild Engine & Airplane Manufacturing Company and the nearby Republic Airport from 1940 to the late 1980s. As part of a double-tracking project on the line, the station may be reopened.
Republic station opened on December 9, 1940, with simple wooden shelters for passengers. When electrification was extended from Hicksville to Ronkonkoma in the 1980s, the LIRR proposed to close the stops at Republic, Grumman (LIRR station), Pineaire, Brentwood, and Deer Park to speed travel times and to avoid the cost of building high level platforms at lightly used stations. The latter two were ultimately kept, but Republic closed in either 1986 or 1987 due to its low ridership and the high cost of new platforms.
As part of the current project to add double track from Farmingdale to Ronkonkoma, the MTA is considering reopening Republic station. The reopened station would serve the Route 110 corridor, a major north-south commercial route. The station was cut from the project in 2010 due to budgetary issues, but revived in 2012.
- Goldman, Ari L. (14 May 1983). "L.I.R.R. SELECTS 5 OF ITS STATIONS FOR ELIMINATION". New York Times. Retrieved 22 June 2015.
- "LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD Alphabetical Station Listing and History". TrainsAreFun. Retrieved 22 June 2015.
- Ain, Stewart (May 11, 2008). "Station Site Envisioned as Village". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-02-12.
- "Connect Long Island: Double Track Main Line & TODs" (PDF). Transportation Research Forum. 3 April 2014. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- "MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdale (video)". Metropolitan Transportation Authority. 16 January 2013. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- Castillo, Alfonso A. (3 October 2013). "MTA's 20-year to-do list replaces LIRR diesel trains, more". Newsday. Retrieved 22 June 2015.
- Castillo, Alfonso A. (26 April 2010). "Plans for Republic Airport LIRR station put on hold". Newsday. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- Hinko, Christy (1 June 2012). "Senators Announce $138 Million To Advance New Republic Train Station". Farmingdale Observer. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
|This New York train station–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|