||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (July 2013)|
Retr0bright is a chemical mixture used to remove yellowing from ABS plastic computer and electronics cases, including computers that were manufactured by Commodore and Apple in the 1980s and 1990s, and various video game consoles and cartridges.
There is still some debate over the long-term effectiveness of this technique. Some have discovered the yellowing reappears, and there is discussion of factors that may result in this happening. There are also some concerns that the process weakens the plastic.
The optimum mixture and conditions for reversing yellowing of plastics:
- Hydrogen peroxide solution, the stronger the better. 12% works fine; 6% works also, just more slowly.
- Approximately 1/4 teaspoonful (4.9 ml) per gallon (3.8 l) (1/3072) of Tetraacetylethylenediamine (TAED)-based laundry booster (concentrations of TAED vary).
- UV light, either from sunlight or a UV lamp.
- Official website
- Un-Yellow Old Plastics - Retr0brite! (Make blog)
- Open source computer polish: Retr0Brite (Boing Boing)
- amibay.com - Retr0bright Support Thread
|This product article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|