Richard Colvin (British Army officer)
Following the outbreak of the Second Boer War in late 1899, Colvin was on 7 February 1900 appointed Deputy-Assistant Adjutant-General in the Imperial Yeomanry, responsible for corps raised outside the head-quarters of the existing yeomanry regiments. With the expansion of the number of Imperial Yeomanry regiments, he was a month later, on 14 March 1900, re-assigned and appointed in command of the 20th Battalion, Imperial Yeomanry, which set out for South Africa later that month. For his services during the war, he was appointed a Companion (military) of the Order of the Bath (CB) in November 1900.
He was later awarded the Companion (civil) of the Order of the Bath (CB) in 1911, and was promoted to a Knight Commander of the Order (KCB).
Colvin was elected as Member of Parliament (MP) for Epping at an unopposed by-election in 1917, after Epping's Conservative MP Amelius Lockwood was ennobled as Baron Lambourne. He was re-elected in 1918 and 1922, and retired from the House of Commons at the 1923 general election
Covin married, on 26 June 1895, Lady Gwendoline Audrey Adeline Brudenell Rous (1869–1952), daughter of John Rous, 2nd Earl of Stradbroke and Augusta Bonham. They had two children:
- Aubrey Mary Maud Colvin (b.1896)
- Richard Beale Rous (b.15 March 1900)
- "House of Commons constituencies beginning with "E" (part 2)". Leigh Rayment's House of Commons pages. Retrieved 21 April 2009. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Debrett′s Baronetage, Knightage and Companionage, 1914
- "No. 27162". The London Gazette. 6 February 1900. p. 808.
- "No. 27173". The London Gazette. 13 March 1900. p. 1711.
- "No. 27359". The London Gazette. 27 September 1901. p. 6307.
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1885–1918 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 276. ISBN 0-900178-27-2. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Craig, F. W. S. (1983) . British parliamentary election results 1918–1949 (3rd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 351. ISBN 0-900178-06-X. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Births". The Times (36092). London. 17 March 1900. p. 1.
- "Sir Richard Beale Colvin". National Portrait Gallery. Retrieved 30 November 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Richard Colvin
- "Sir Richard Beale Colvin". Essex Regiment & Essex Militia History. Retrieved 8 May 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Epping