|27th Education Commissioner of Florida|
|Assumed office |
January 8, 2019
|Preceded by||Pam Stewart|
|100th Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives|
November 22, 2016 – November 20, 2018
|Preceded by||Steve Crisafulli|
|Succeeded by||José R. Oliva|
|Member of the Florida House of Representatives|
November 2, 2010 – November 6, 2018
|Preceded by||Tom Anderson|
|Succeeded by||Ardian Zika|
|Constituency||45th district (2010–2012)|
37th district (2012–2018)
|Born||March 16, 1965|
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Education||Saint Leo University (BA)|
Regent University (JD)
Richard Corcoran (born March 16, 1965) is an American Republican politician and former speaker of the Florida House of Representatives who currently serves as the education commissioner of Florida. Corcoran represented the 37th District, which includes central Pasco County, from 2012 to 2018, and previously represented the 45th District from 2010 to 2012. On December 6, 2018, Governor-elect of Florida Ron DeSantis announced he would nominate Corcoran to be education commissioner. Corcoran was unanimously confirmed as education commissioner by the Florida Board of Education on December 17, 2018, and took office on January 8, 2019, upon the effectiveness of the resignation of his predecessor, Pam Stewart.
Born in Canada, Richard Corcoran grew up in Pasco County, Florida, having moved there when he was 11. His parents were both veterans of World War II. His father was an American soldier in the U.S. Army and his mother, a daughter of a British tea-planter, served in the Women's Auxiliary Air Force of the Royal Air Force during the London Blitz.
His wife is Anne, and they have six children. They reside in Land o’ Lakes, Florida.
Florida House of Representatives
When incumbent state representative Tom Anderson was unable to seek re-election due to term limits in 2010, Corcoran ran to succeed him in the 45th District, which included parts of southern Pasco County and northern Pinellas County.
When the state legislative districts were redrawn in 2012, Corcoran was drawn into the 37th District, which included some of the areas in Pasco County that he represented in the 45th District. Corcoran faced a challenge from Strother Hammond in the Republican primary. He was endorsed for re-election by The Tampa Tribune. Corcoran defeated Hammond, gathering nearly 84% of the vote. Corcoran was subsequently re-elected without opposition in both 2014 and 2016. Following his 2016 election, Corcoran became speaker of the Florida House of Representatives for the 2016-2018 legislative session.
Education Commissioner of Florida
On July 7, 2020, President Donald Trump tweeted "Schools must open in the fall," the same day that Corcoran ordered all public and private brick-and-mortar schools to reopen in August for at least five days per week and provide a "full-array" of services. That day, the COVID-19 pandemic in Florida resulted in 11,385 new COVID-19 cases and 63 deaths, totaling to 213,797 cases and 3,841 deaths. On August 7, 2020, Corcoran delivered a letter that denied Hillsborough County School Board's request to open the school year exclusively online. 
- "Education Board taps Richard Corcoran to be Commissioner of Education". Tallahassee.com. 2018-12-17. Retrieved 2019-08-14. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Richard Corcoran unanimously appointed Commissioner of Education". Tampa Bay Times. Dec 17, 2018. Retrieved Aug 14, 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Pam Stewart stepping down as state education commissioner". Ocala Star-Banner. December 5, 2018. Retrieved January 7, 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Richard Corcoran (Florida) - Ballotpedia". Ballotpedia. Retrieved 18 May 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Fasano and Corcoran in Pasco races". Tampa Bay Times. July 23, 2012. Retrieved 30 January 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Moline, Michael (November 22, 2016). "Richard Corcoran installed as House speaker promising 'struggle' to do right". Florida Politics. Retrieved 30 January 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Bousquet, Steve (February 25, 2016). "Corcoran calls Gov. Scott's $250M jobs fund 'corporate welfare'". Miami Herald. Retrieved 30 January 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Lardieri, Alexa (July 7, 2020). "Florida Orders Schools to Reopen in Fall Despite Rising Coronavirus Cases". U.S. News & World Report. Archived from the original on July 8, 2020. Retrieved July 11, 2020.
- "Home - Florida Department of Health COVID-19 Outbreak". Florida COVID-19 Response. Florida Health. July 7, 2020. Archived from the original on July 7, 2020. Retrieved July 11, 2020.
11,385 New Cases in FL Residents* 63 New Deaths in FL Residents* *Reported since yesterday
|Florida House of Representatives|
| Member of the Florida House of Representatives
from the 45th district
| Member of the Florida House of Representatives
from the 37th district
| Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives
José R. Oliva
| Education Commissioner of Florida