Richard P. Stanley
Richard P. Stanley
|Born||June 23, 1944|
New York City, New York
|Alma mater||California Institute of Technology|
|Institutions||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Thesis||Ordered structures and partitions (1971)|
|Doctoral advisor||Gian-Carlo Rota|
Richard Peter Stanley (born June 23, 1944) is an Emeritus Professor of Mathematics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, in Cambridge, Massachusetts. From 2000 to 2010, he was the Norman Levinson Professor of Applied Mathematics. He received his Ph.D. at Harvard University in 1971 under the supervision of Gian-Carlo Rota. He is an expert in the field of combinatorics and its applications to other mathematical disciplines.
Stanley is known for his two-volume book Enumerative Combinatorics (1986–1999). He is also the author of Combinatorics and Commutative Algebra (1983) and well over 200 research articles in mathematics. He has served as thesis advisor to more than 58 doctoral students, many of whom have had distinguished careers in combinatorial research.
Awards and honors
Stanley's distinctions include membership in the National Academy of Sciences (elected in 1995), the 2001 Leroy P. Steele Prize for mathematical exposition, the 2003 Schock Prize, a plenary lecture at the International Congress of Mathematicians (in Madrid, Spain), and election in 2012 as a fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
- Stanley, Richard P. (1996). Combinatorics and Commutative Algebra, 2nd ed. ISBN 0-8176-4369-9.
- Stanley, Richard P. (1997, 1999). Enumerative Combinatorics, Volumes 1 and 2. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-55309-1, 0-521-56069-1.
- Stanley, Richard (2017). "Curriculum Vitae". Retrieved June 29, 2017.
- Richard P. Stanley at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Richard P. Stanley receives the 2003 Rolf Schock Prize in Mathematics by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, The Combinatorics Net, 2003, retrieved 2013-12-27.
- Andrews, George E. (1987). "Review: Enumerative combinatorics, Volume 1 by Richard P. Stanley" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 17 (2): 360–365. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1987-15595-9.
- Gessel, Ira M. (2002). "Review: Enumerative combinatorics, Volume 2 by Richard P. Stanley" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 39 (1): 129–135. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-01-00928-4.
- American Mathematical Society News Release: Richard P. Stanley Wins AMS Steele Prize, The Combinatorics Net, January 11, 2001, retrieved 2013-12-27.
- Increasing and decreasing subsequences and their variants, R. P. Stanley, Proc. ICM, 2006.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-08-05.