Richard Rankin in 2014
4 January 1983
Rutherglen, Scotland, UK
|Alma mater||Langside College|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
Richard Rankin (born Richard Harris on 4 January 1983) is a Scottish film, television and theatre actor. He is perhaps best known for his roles in the Scottish sketch show Burnistoun and as Captain Thomas Gillan in the BBC One war drama The Crimson Field. He is also known for playing DI Elliot Carne in BBC Three drama Thirteen.
Having been encouraged to take up a career in acting during a conversation with a television executive while on holiday in Los Angeles, he enrolled at Langside College with his brother Colin. Upon becoming an actor, he began using his mother's maiden name, Rankin, to prevent confusion with Irish actor Richard Harris. His brother Colin Harris also became an actor. There are two other brothers in their family.
Rankin first came to prominence with Robert Florence, starring alongside him in VideoGaiden and Burnistoun. After brief appearances on Scottish television shows such as Taggart and Legit, he was approached by the BBC to star as Captain Thomas Gillan in a mini-series called The Crimson Field alongside Kevin Doyle and Oona Chaplin. The series aired on BBC One on in April 2014. He also starred in a low-budget horror film, House of Him, which was released during the Glasgow Film Festival in February 2014. The film had a budget of approximately £900 and starred many of his old Burnistoun colleagues, including Robert Florence, Kirsty Strain and Louise Stewart.
In January 2015, Rankin joined the cast of the BBC One crime drama series Silent Witness in the two-part story "Falling Angels", playing Detective Inspector Luke Nelson. In December of the same year, it was announced that Rankin had been cast as Roger Wakefield in the Starz series Outlander.
- Outlander (2016- ) as Roger Wakefield
- The Replacement (2017) as Ian Rooney
- Thirteen (2016) as D.I. Elliott Carne
- From Darkness (2015) as Norrie Duncan
- American Odyssey (2015) as Osela Mercenary Haney
- The Syndicate (2015) as Sean McGary
- Silent Witness (2015) as Detective Inspector Luke Nelson
- The Crimson Field (2014) as Captain Thomas Gillan
- The House of Him (2014) as Him
- Burnistoun (2009–2012) as Various
- Taggart (2010) as Ged McShane
- Legit (2007) as Nelson
- VideoGaiden (2006, 2016) as Various
- The Lieutenant of Inishmore
- The Pillowman
- Mary Queen of Scots Got Her Head Chopped Off
- Celts in Seville
- Black Watch
- "Professor helps recreate 1915 field hospital for BBC drama The Crimson Field". Manchester University.
- "Stonelaw's class of 1994-2000 all set to return to Rutherglen for a big school reunion". Daily Record / Rutherglen Reformer. 22 January 2016. Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- "Outlander star Richard Rankin on playing Roger Wakefield, his Glasgow childhood and swapping IT for acting". The Herald. 2 September 2017. Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- English, Paul (27 March 2014). "The Crimson Field star Richard Rankin: I went from big budget production to filming in a pal's mum's house in Balornock". Daily Record.
- "Colin has a ball as Scots soccer ace in Clough film". Evening Times. 26 February 2009. Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- "The Crimson Field - BBC One".
- Smith, Laura. "Comedian Robert Florence on low-budget horror The House of Him".
- "'Outlander' Season 2 Finds its Roger Wakefield in Scottish Actor Richard Rankin". Variety. Retrieved 2015-12-21.
- Prudom, Laura (14 December 2015). "'Outlander' Season 2 Finds its Roger Wakefield in Scottish Actor Richard Rankin".
- "Richard Rankin as Granty".