Robert C. Seacord
Robert C. Seacord (born June 5, 1963) is an American computer security specialist and writer. He is the author of books on computer security, legacy system modernization, and component-based software engineering.
Seacord earned a Bachelor's degree in computer science from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in December 1983. He has also completed graduate-level courses at Carnegie-Mellon University in software design, creation and maintenance; user interfaces; software project management; formal methods; human factors; operating systems; and entrepreneurship.
Seacord began programming professionally for IBM in 1984, working in processor development, then communications and operating system software, and software engineering. He led the Secure Coding Initiative in the CERT Division’s Software Engineering Institute (SEI) in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania until 1991. He also has worked at the X Consortium in Cambridge, Massachusetts, where he developed and maintained code for the Common Desktop Environment and the X Window System. He returned to SEI in 1996, working on component-based software engineering.
Seacord joined NCC Group in 2015 and is currently a Technical Director. Seacord was an adjunct professor in the Carnegie Mellon School of Computer Science and in the Information Networking Institute. He was also a part-time faculty member at the University of Pittsburgh..
- Seacord, Robert. The CERT® C Coding Standard, Second Edition: 98 Rules for Developing Safe, Reliable, and Secure Systems (2nd Edition), Addison-Wesley Professional, 2014. ISBN 0-321-98404-8
- Seacord, Robert. Secure Coding in C and C++, Second Edition, Addison Wesley, 2013. ISBN 0-321-33572-4
- Seacord, Robert; Long, Fred; Mohindra, Dhruv; Sutherland, Dean; Svoboda, David. The CERT® Oracle® Secure Coding Standard for Java, Addison Wesley, 2011. ISBN 0-321-803-957
- Seacord, Robert. The CERT® C Secure Coding Standard, Addison Wesley, 2008. ISBN 0-321-56321-2
- Seacord, Robert; Plakosh, Daniel; Lewis, Grace. Modernizing Legacy Systems: Software Technologies, Engineering Processes, and Business Practices, Addison Wesley, 2003. ISBN 0-321-11884-7
- Seacord, Robert, Wallnau, Kurt; Hissam, Scott. Building Systems from Commercial Components, Addison Wesley, 2001. ISBN 0-201-70064-6
- Professional C Programming LiveLessons, (Video Training) Part I: Writing Robust, Secure, Reliable Code ISBN 978-0-13-312335-7
- Secure Coding Rules for Java LiveLessons, Part I ISBN 978-0-13-419119-5
- Secure Coding Rules for Java: Serialization LiveLessons (Video Training) ISBN 978-0-13-419120-1
- "Robert C. Seacord | US-CERT". www.us-cert.gov. Retrieved 2018-10-10.
- Chisnall, David; Seacord, Robert C. (2008-12-15). Robert Seacord on the CERT C Secure Coding Standard.
- "Renowned secure coding expert and author joins NCC Group's US team". www.nccgroup.trust. 4 November 2015. Retrieved 28 January 2018.
- "Advisory Board".
- "CERT Research Annual Report" (PDF). 2009. p. 76. Retrieved 28 January 2018.
- on YouTube (video, 47:10)
- Robert Seacord on the intersection of DevOps and security (audio, 14:39)
- Dangerous Optimizations And The Loss Of Causality (video, 45:05)
- on YouTube (video, 4:30)
- osquery Application Security Assessment Public Report (public report commissioned by Facebook, March 2016)