Robert C. Seacord
Robert C. Seacord (born June 5, 1963) is an American computer security specialist and writer. He is the author of books on computer security, legacy system modernization, and component-based software engineering. He has a Bachelor in computer science from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
Robert C. Seacord is a Principal Security Consultant at NCC Group. Robert previously lead the Secure Coding Initiative in the CERT Division of Carnegie Mellon University’s Software Engineering Institute (SEI) in Pittsburgh, PA. Seacord is an adjunct professor in the Carnegie Mellon University School of Computer Science and in the Information Networking Institute and part-time Faculty at the University of Pittsburgh.
Seacord started programming professionally for IBM in 1982, working in communications and operating system software, processor development, and software engineering. Robert also has worked at the X Consortium, where he developed and maintained code for the Common Desktop Environment and the X Window System.
Seacord is a technical expert for the ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG14 international standardization working group for the C programming language.
- Seacord, Robert. The CERT® C Coding Standard, Second Edition: 98 Rules for Developing Safe, Reliable, and Secure Systems (2nd Edition), Addison-Wesley Professional, 2014. ISBN 0-321-98404-8
- Seacord, Robert; Long, Fred; Mohindra, Dhruv; Sutherland, Dean; Svoboda, David. The CERT® Oracle® Secure Coding Standard for Java, Addison Wesley, 2011. ISBN 0-321-803-957
- Seacord, Robert. The CERT® C Secure Coding Standard, Addison Wesley, 2008. ISBN 0-321-56321-2
- Seacord, Robert. Secure Coding in C and C++, Addison Wesley, 2005. ISBN 0-321-33572-4
- Seacord, Robert; Plakosh, Daniel; Lewis, Grace. Modernizing Legacy Systems: Software Technologies, Engineering Processes, and Business Practices, Addison Wesley, 2003. ISBN 0-321-11884-7
- Seacord, Robert, Wallnau, Kurt; Hissam, Scott. Building Systems from Commercial Components, Addison Wesley, 2001. ISBN 0-201-70064-6
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, BS in Computer Science, Dec. 1983.
- Carnegie-Mellon University, Post-Graduate Courses in Software Design, Creation & Maintenance, User Interfaces, Software Project Management, Formal Methods, Human Factors, Operating Systems & Entrepreneurship.
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Member INCITS PL22 - U.S. Tag to ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22
- PL22 Liaison to CS1 - Cyber Security
- Member INCITS PL22.11 - Programming Language C
- Technical Expert to the ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG14 - The International Standardization Working Group for the Programming Language C
- Technical Expert to the ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG23 - Programming Language Vulnerabilities
- Project Editor WG14 C - Secure Coding Guidelines Study Group
- Technical Expert to the JTC1/SC7 - Embedded System Coding Guidelines Study Group