The Rock 'n' Roll RPMs
|The Rock 'n' Roll RPMs|
|Name(s)||The Rock 'n' Roll RPMs
5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)
The Rock 'n' Roll RPMs were a professional wrestling tag team, consisting of Tommy Lane and Mike Davis, that competed in several professional wrestling promotions throughout the Southern United States. They were known for their bright colored tights and hanging bandanas. Allen Martin (aka Silent but Deadly) was later added as a tag team partner after Tommy Lane left. Since then, Mike Davis died in his home state of Texas. Martin continued to wrestle in Birmingham, Alabama under the name "Rock 'n' Roll RPM" until recently when he retired.
The Rock 'n' Roll RPMs started in the World Class promotion, which at the time was still affiliated with the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA). They were known for their bright colored tights and hanging bandanas. The Rock 'n' Roll RPMs were glorified for their finishing move "The Spandex Splits". The move was later outlawed due to extensive neck injuries. They had feuds with several teams, including another "Rock 'n' Roll" tag team known as the Rock 'n' Roll Express. The The Rock 'n' Roll RPMs went to World Wrestling Council in Puerto Rico and feuded with Ron & Chicky Starr over the WWC World Tag Team Championship. The RPMs feuded with The Fantastics over the WCWA Tag Team Championship, however they were unable to win the championship.
The RPMs also competed in the Continental Wrestling Association (CWA) in Memphis, where they won the American Wrestling Association (AWA)'s Southern Tag Team Championship twice. Teaming with Cactus Jack, the Rock-n-Roll RPMs lost a match against Hector, Chavo, and Mando Guerrero at the only AWA pay-per-view SuperClash III.
After the demise of World Class, Davis and Lane moved on to World Championship Wrestling, where they were used as jobbers. Davis later entered the Global Wrestling Federation, where in 1992, he claimed to have returned to Earth with a "Moon Rock" after he made a bungee jump following a "bungee" match between Chaz Taylor and Steven Dane outside the Dallas Sportatorium.
Tommy Lane formed a tag team with "Big" Bobby Jones known as The NEW RPMs for Central All-Star Wrestling.
- Double-team finishing moves
- The Spandex Splits (Back body drop (Davis) transitioned into a powerbomb (Lane) / neckbreaker (Davis) combination)
Championships and accomplishments
- American Wrestling Association
- Championship Wrestling Association
- USA Wrestling
- USA Tag Team Championship (1 time)
- World Wrestling Council
- "Rock 'n' Roll RPMs profile". Online World of Wrestling. Retrieved 2009-08-31.
- "Mike Davis profile". Online World of Wrestling. Retrieved 2009-08-31.
- "Tommy Lee Jones profile". Obsessed With Wrestling. Retrieved 2009-08-31.
- American Wrestling Association (1988). "Badd Company /w DDP vs Rock 'n' Roll RPMs". AWA.
- "AWA report". 411mania. Retrieved 2009-08-31.
- "Bruno Lauer's profile". Online World of Wrestling. Retrieved 2009-08-31.
- Royal Duncan & Gary Will (2000). Wrestling Title Histories (4th ed.). Archeus Communications. ISBN 0-9698161-5-4.