Roger W. Cressey
|Born||August 9, 1965|
|Alma mater||The University of Massachusetts Lowell (Bachelor of Arts in political science, 1987); George Washington University (Master of Arts in security policy studies, 1991)|
|Employer||Georgetown University (adjunct Professor of counter-terrorism policy) and Good Harbor consulting group (President)|
Roger W. Cressey (born August 9, 1965) is a cyber security and counter-terrorism expert and served in senior positions under presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush. He is a former member of the United States National Security Council staff and the Founder and former President of the Good Harbor consulting group. Cressey served as an adjunct professor of counter-terrorism policy at Georgetown University and is currently a Partner with Liberty Group Ventures, LLC.
Education and early life
Cressey received his Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from the University of Massachusetts Lowell in 1987 and a Master of Arts in Security Policy Studies from George Washington University in 1991.
Cressey worked at the Department of Defense, including as Deputy Director for War Plans. From 1991 to 1995, he served in the Department of State, working on Middle East Security issues. He has also served overseas with the U.S. Embassy in Israel and with United Nations peacekeeping missions in Somalia and former Yugoslavia.
He was Chief of Staff to the President's Critical Infrastructure Protection Board at the White House from November 2001 to September 2002.
From November 1999 to November 2001, he was Director for Transnational Threats on the National Security Council (NSC) staff, where he was responsible for the coordination and implementation of US counter-terrorism policy. During this period, he managed the U.S. Government's response to the Millennium terror alert, the USS Cole attack, and the September 11 attacks. During his time at the NSC, Cressey called for steps to be taken against al-Qaeda and Bin Laden, which were largely ignored until 9/11.
In 2002, Cressey founded the corporate security and risk management company Good Harbor Consulting.
For more than ten years Cressey was an on-air counter-terrorism analyst for NBC News, regularly appearing on NBC Nightly News, The Today Show, MSNBC and CNBC and other national and international print and non-print media outlets. He has also been speaking on his topics of expertise at different forums, conferences and panels.
He is currently a Partner with Liberty Group Ventures.
Cressey has been awarded the State Department's Meritorious and Superior Honor Awards, and the Secretary of Defense Exceptional Civilian Service Award.
- "Cybersecurity Consulting Firm | Arlington, VA". Liberty Group Ventures. Retrieved 2018-10-06.
- "Nomination John O. Brennan CIA Director - Referring to Cressey as counterterrorism professional" (PDF).
- "Roger Cressey | RSA Conference". Retrieved 2018-10-06.
- Greater Talent Network, Roger Cressey, (accessed 16 May 2008)
- Good Harbor Consulting, Roger W. Cressey – President (accessed 16 May 2008)
- "Wall Street Journal: 9/11 Commission Report - Cressey NSC counterterrorism official" (PDF).
- "U.S. failure to retaliate for USS Cole attack rankled then — and now". msnbc.com. 2010-10-12. Retrieved 2018-10-06.
- "The War Over the Wonks". The Washington Post. October 2, 2007. Retrieved October 22, 2010.
- "Senate committee approves provision to plug intelligence leaks". Washington Post. Retrieved 2018-10-06.
- "NBC Terrorism Analyst Roger Cressey Defends Yemen Dictatorship, Fails To Disclose Conflicts Of Interest". Retrieved 2018-10-06.
- Calmes, Jackie (2004-05-19). "Questions of Leadership Style". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2018-10-06.
- Bergen, Peter. "This Terrorist Is Bad Enough on His Own". Retrieved 2018-10-06.
- "National Security Strategy". C-SPAN.org. Retrieved 2018-10-06.
- "Booze, Allen, Hamilton 2011 Annual Report - Cressey Senior Vice President".