Ron Bailey (politician)
|21st Minister of Railways|
10 September 1974 – 12 December 1975
|Prime Minister||Bill Rowling|
|Preceded by||Tom McGuigan|
|Succeeded by||Colin McLachlan|
|Born||15 December 1926
Napier, New Zealand
|Died||16 April 2015
Auckland, New Zealand
Bailey was born in Napier in 1926. He grew up in various public works camps and attended four different primary schools in the central North Island. He received his secondary education at Wairoa District High School (now Wairoa College) and Gisborne High School. His first jobs were as a clerk and a carpenter. He became a union organiser in 1956.
|Parliament of New Zealand|
When Phil Holloway retired from the Heretaunga electorate, Bailey won the Labour Party nomination and the subsequent election. He served seven terms and retired in 1981, when he was succeeded by Bill Jeffries.
Bailey struggled to find permanent work when he left parliament. He worked as a real estate agent for a while but found it hard to persuade people to take on high debt. For a while, he and his wife manufactured artisan chocolate at their home. He then became a review officer for the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) and went to retirement when he was 66. In the 1987 Queen's Birthday Honours, Bailey was made a Companion of the Queen's Service Order for public services.
Bailey was married to Shirley for 29 years, when she died. They had one daughter and one son. His second wife was Barbara; she was the electorate secretary for Roger Douglas. They first met during the election campaign for the Mangere by-election in 1977. They later moved to Auckland and he died there on 16 April 2015, survived by his second wife.
- Fitzsimons, Tom (9 June 2015). "Veteran Labour MP Ron Bailey became vocal Rogernomics supporter". The Dominion Post. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- Wilson 1985, p. 181.
- Wilson 1985, pp. 181, 208.
- Wilson 1985, p. 281.
- Wilson 1985, p. 252.
- New Zealand Railways - The First 125 Years. By David Leitch and Bob Stott. Appendix two - Ministers of Railways 1895 - 1988. ISBN 0-7900-0000-8
- Wilson 1985, pp. 93–94.
- Bassett, Michael (2008). Working with David: Inside the Lange Cabinet. Auckland: Hodder Moa. p. 586 (Note 2). ISBN 978-1-86971-094-1.
- New Zealand list: "(Supplement) no. 50950". The London Gazette. 13 June 1987. p. 33. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- "Ronald Bailey obituary". New Zealand Herald. 20 April 2015. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- Wilson, James Oakley (1985) [First ed. published 1913]. New Zealand Parliamentary Record, 1840–1984 (4th ed.). Wellington: V.R. Ward, Govt. Printer. OCLC 154283103.
|Chairman of Committees of the House of Representatives
|Minister of Railways
|New Zealand Parliament|
|Member of Parliament for Heretaunga