Round ligament of uterus
|Round ligament of uterus|
Sagittal section through the pelvis of a newly born female child. (Label for round ligament of uterus visible at upper right.)
1. Round ligament
3. Uterine cavity
4. Intestinal surface of Uterus
5. Vesical surface (toward bladder)
6. Fundus of uterus
7. Body of uterus
8. Palmate folds of cervical canal
9. Cervical canal
10. Posterior lip
11. Cervical os (external)
12. Isthmus of uterus
13. Supravaginal portion of cervix
14. Vaginal portion of cervix
15. Anterior lip
|Artery||uterine artery, artery of round ligament of uterus|
|Latin||ligamentum teres uteri|
The round ligament of the uterus originates at the uterine horns, in the parametrium. The round ligament enters the pelvis via the deep inguinal ring, passes through the inguinal canal and continues on to the labia majora where its fibers spread and mix with the tissue of the mons pubis.
The function of the round ligament is maintenance of the anteversion of the uterus (a position where the fundus of the uterus is turned forward at the junction of cervix and vagina) during pregnancy.[dubious ] Normally, the cardinal ligament is what supports the uterine angle (angle of anteversion). When the uterus grows during pregnancy, the round ligaments can stretch causing pain.[unreliable medical source?]
The round ligament is supplied by the artery of the round ligament, otherwise known as "Sampson's artery."
- Swiss embryology (from UL, UB, and UF) ugenital/diffmorpho05
- Anatomy photo:43:03-0201 at the SUNY Downstate Medical Center - "The Female Pelvis: The Broad Ligament"
- Anatomy photo:36:03-0105 at the SUNY Downstate Medical Center - "Inguinal Region, Scrotum and Testes: The Internal Surface of the Anterior Abdominal Wall"
- "Pregnancy-Round Ligament Pain". webMD.com. Retrieved 2008-01-27.
- Anatomy figure: 43:01-10 at Human Anatomy Online, SUNY Downstate Medical Center - "Superior anterior view of the female pelvis."
- Anatomy image:7368 at the SUNY Downstate Medical Center
- Anatomy image:9601 at the SUNY Downstate Medical Center
- Anatomy image:9658 at the SUNY Downstate Medical Center
- Atlas image: abdo_wall63 at the University of Michigan Health System - "The Male & Female Inguinal Canal"
- pelvis at The Anatomy Lesson by Wesley Norman (Georgetown University) (uterus, broadligament)
- figures/chapter_35/35-2.HTM: Basic Human Anatomy at Dartmouth Medical School