|Real name||Ruslan Mikhailovich Provodnikov|
|Nickname(s)||The Siberian Rocky|
|Height||1.68 m (5 ft 6 in)|
|Reach||168 cm (66 in)|
20 January 1984 |
Beryozovo, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union
|Wins by KO||18|
Ruslan Mikhailovich Provodnikov (Russian: Руслан Михайлович Проводников; born 20 January 1984) is a Russian professional boxer and politician. He held the WBO junior welterweight title from 2013 to 2014, and is well known as a highly aggressive pressure fighter who possesses formidable punching power and an exceptionally durable chin.
Provodnikov said that he wanted to learn English. Provodnikov was translated to have said, "I think boxing saved my life", as part of a translation of a statement Provodnikov made in response to an interviewer's question about what career he would have chosen if he was not a boxer.
Ruslan Mikhailovich Provodnikov was born in Beryozovo, a small village in western Siberia to an ethnic Russian father and an ethnic Mansi mother, but identifies himself as Mansi. Provodnikov said that he use to fight as a child, so his dad took him to a boxing trainer when he was ten years old to box. He would regularly make a 1-day trip to train at a gym that was something closer to what a professional boxing gym should be. As an amateur he won 130 of 150 fights. He was discovered in Ekaterinburg by his current promoters and managers, who brought him to the U.S.
Provodnikov said that he enjoyed playing soccer and playing basketball.
Life for his son
Provodnikov said that he wanted to provide for his son and give his son options in life. Provodnikov said that he was having his son grow up in the same place where he grew up, and he said that he wanted his son to experience the way he lived. Provodnikov said that he wanted his son to play sports and watch less TV and use the internet less.
Provodnikov said that he enjoyed eating raw meat such as raw moose liver and raw fish, and he said that he believed that eating meat made him strong.
Provodnikov fought several times on ESPN 2's Friday Night Fights and developed a reputation for being an exciting, come forward, pressure fighter. He scored a decision win over Demarcus Corley and lost a controversial decision to Mauricio Herrera.
Provodnikov vs. Bradley
Provodnikov lost a close unanimous decision to Timothy Bradley on March 16, 2013, for the WBO welterweight championship. Provodnikov was considered an easily beatable opponent for Bradley, who was looking for a confidence booster after beating Manny Pacquiao in what was deemed one of boxing's worst decisions. Bradley came out on the attack early, fighting in an uncharacteristically aggressive fashion. Provodnikov made him pay, however, tagging him with hard shots in the first round, and staggering him in the second. Bradley said after the fight that he was concussed by a shot Provodnikov hit him with in the second round. Bradley boxed more conservatively as the fight wore on, winning most of the middle rounds. In the last round, Provodnikov badly hurt Bradley again but Bradley took a knee with just seconds remaining, beating the count and hanging on to win the fight on points. Bradley was impressed by Provodnikov's power and will, saying "he's going to be a world champion someday". The fight was named "2013 Fight of the Year" by Ring Magazine and the Boxing Writers Association of America.
CompuBox Stats (General)
|Bradley||Landed / Thrown||27/74||28/80||21/56||48/107||47/118||38/103||18/73||33/71||39/92||12/65||26/101||10/60||347/1000|
|Provodnikov||Landed / Thrown||24/69||38/97||2/15||12/37||19/54||34/84||15/36||6/26||16/56||13/42||24/95||15/65||218/676|
Provodnikov vs. Alvarado
Moving back down to junior welterweight to fight Mike Alvarado for the WBO Junior welterweight belt. Provodnikov defeated Mike Alvarado by 10th-round stoppage on October 19, 2013, at the FirstBank Center in Denver, Colorado. Provodnikov was ahead on all three scorecards and had knocked Alvarado down twice in the eighth round. Alvarado then elected to not come out for the eleventh round.
Provodnikov vs. Algieri
Provodnikov faced little-known American Chris Algieri in the first defense of his title on June 14, 2014, at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Provodnikov connected with a left hook in the first round that knocked Algieri down and formed a large swelling under the challenger's right eye. Despite scoring two knockdowns in the opening frame, Algieri's footwork and boxing skills prevented Provodnikov from getting into range to land his shots. Provodnikov would go on to lose a controversial split decision.
Provodnikov vs. Matthysse
After dispatching of veteran Jose Luis Castillo in five rounds, in his home country. Negotiations began for a bout with fellow power puncher, Argentine Lucas Matthysse, there was a large amount of hype surrounding the fight coming in. It took place at the Turning Stone Resort & Casino, Verona, New York on the 18th of April, and lived up to the hype as the two fighters went toe to toe from the opening bell in a fight of the year candidate. A headbutt caused a deep cut above Ruslan's left eye early in the fight and it begun to distract him straight away. Matthysse utilized his jab and superior boxing skills for most of the bout. Ruslan once again proved to have a granite chin as he took the hardest shots of Matthysse, who is considered to be the hardest puncher in the division and pound for pound one of the hardest punchers in the world. After being outboxed the first few rounds, Ruslan came back in the latter half of the bout, and begun to break down Matthysse, hurting him severely in the 11th round but failed to capitalize, or achieve enough early on and went on to lose a Majority decision. Matthysse broke his right hand in the fight. Provodnikov had a terribly swollen face afterwards, and a deep gash on his eye from the headbutt, he also had black urine (rhabdomyolysis), a result of being hit in his kidneys by the power puncher Matthysse.
Professional boxing record
|Professional record summary|
|30 fights||25 wins||5 losses|
|30||Loss||25–5||John Molina Jr.||UD||12||11 Jun 2016||Turning Stone Resort Casino, Verona, New York, US|
|29||Win||25–4||Jesus Alvarez Rodriguez||TKO||4 (10), 1:40||7 Nov 2015||Salle des Etoiles, Monte Carlo, Monaco|
|28||Loss||24–4||Lucas Matthysse||MD||12||18 Apr 2015||Turning Stone Resort Casino, Verona, New York, US|
|27||Win||24–3||José Luis Castillo||TKO||5 (12), 0:50||28 Nov 2014||Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow, Russia|
|26||Loss||23–3||Chris Algieri||SD||12||14 Jun 2014||Barclays Center, New York City, New York, US||Lost WBO light welterweight title|
|25||Win||23–2||Mike Alvarado||RTD||10 (12), 3:00||19 Oct 2013||1stBank Center, Broomfield, Colorado, US||Won WBO light welterweight title|
|24||Loss||22–2||Timothy Bradley||UD||12||16 Mar 2013||Home Depot Center, Carson, California, US||For WBO welterweight title|
|23||Win||22–1||Jose Reynoso||KO||2 (10), 1:52||29 Jun 2012||Omega Products International, Corona, California, US||Retained WBO Inter-Continental light welterweight title|
|22||Win||21–1||David Torres||TKO||6 (10), 2:53||27 Jan 2012||Northern Quest Resort & Casino, Airway Heights, Washington, US||Won vacant WBO Inter-Continental light welterweight title|
|21||Win||20–1||DeMarcus Corley||UD||12||5 Dec 2011||DIVS, Yekaterinburg, Russia||Won vacant WBC–ACBO light welterweight title|
|20||Win||19–1||Iván Popoca||KO||8 (10), 2:16||15 Apr 2011||Pechanga Resort & Casino, Temecula, California, US|
|19||Win||18–1||Vyacheslav Yakovenko||TKO||3 (6), 2:43||20 Feb 2011||Viktoria, Berezovo, Russia|
|18||Loss||17–1||Mauricio Herrera||UD||12||7 Jan 2011||Cox Pavilion, Paradise, Nevada, US||For vacant IBF North American light welterweight title|
|17||Win||17–0||Fayzullo Ahmedov||UD||6||16 Oct 2010||Trading-Entertaining Center "Alatyr", Yekaterinburg, Russia|
|16||Win||16–0||Emanuel Augustus||TKO||9 (10), 1:50||21 May 2010||Energy Arena, Laredo, Texas, US|
|15||Win||15–0||Javier Jauregui||TKO||8 (10), 2:10||21 Feb 2010||Pechanga Resort & Casino, Temecula, California, US|
|14||Win||14–0||Victor Hugo Castro||KO||2 (12), 0:30||28 Nov 2009||Sport CSK VSS, Samara, Russia||Won vacant WBO Inter-Continental light welterweight title|
|13||Win||13–0||Mahsud Jumaev||RTD||2 (6), 3:00||24 Oct 2009||Sverdlovsk Film Studio, Yekaterinburg, Russia|
|12||Win||12–0||Esteban Almaraz||UD||6||20 Mar 2009||Entertainment Center, Laredo, Texas, US|
|11||Win||11–0||Abdulaziz Matazimov||UD||6||21 Feb 2009||Tennis Centre, Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia|
|10||Win||10–0||Sergey Starkov||UD||10||3 Nov 2008||Berezovo, Russia|
|9||Win||9–0||Wang Jie||TKO||3 (8)||22 Aug 2008||Olympic Village, Beijing, China|
|8||Win||8–0||Brian Gordon||UD||6||16 May 2008||Thomas & Mack Center, Paradise, Nevada, US|
|7||Win||7–0||Jose Angel Roman||TKO||1 (6), 2:28||7 Mar 2008||Foxwoods Resort Casino, Ledyard, Connecticut, US|
|6||Win||6–0||Vadim Sufiyanov||KO||3 (6), 1:07||31 Jan 2008||Casino Vodoley, Yekaterinburg, Russia|
|5||Win||5–0||Darren Darby||TKO||1 (4), 2:12||16 Sep 2007||Northern Quest Resort & Casino, Airway Heights, Washington, US|
|4||Win||4–0||Willie Diamond||TKO||1 (4), 1:46||23 Jun 2007||Thomas & Mack Center, Paradise, Nevada, US|
|3||Win||3–0||Antwon Barrett||KO||1 (4), 2:33||28 Apr 2007||Foxwoods Resort Casino, Ledyard, Connecticut, US|
|2||Win||2–0||Dmitry Toropchin||RTD||2 (4), 3:00||1 Feb 2007||Casino Vodoley, Yekaterinburg, Russia|
|1||Win||1–0||Kirill Artemiev||UD||4||3 Dec 2006||DIVS, Yekaterinburg, Russia||Professional debut|
- In a YouTube video titled, "RUSLAN PROVODNIKOV BREAKS DOWN JOHN MOLINA JR AHEAD OF POTENTIAL FIGHT OF THE YEAR CANDIDATE", which was published on May 27, 2016, Vadim Kornilov, Provodnikov's translator, translated Provodnikov to have said, "Sometimes I feel like it would be helpful to learn a little English. You know, sometimes I have the temptation. Uh, during training camp, I'm actually, it feels better to not know English, because it gets me, uh, a little secluded from everybody and more focused on the training instead of, you know, talking to everybody a lot, and I think that's, that has developed me a lot with my focus, but, uh. During regular life, I would love to communicate more and speak English more. So, you know, it's hard. It's hard to find the time, but hopefully one day I will learn the lang, the language. I would like to do that, definitely." This quote by Provodnikov's translator starts at the 2:35 mark of the video, and the quote by Provodnikov's translator ends at the 3:04 mark of the video.
- In a video titled, "Ruslan Provodnikov answers the FIGHT FANS QUESTIONS!", which was published to YouTube on April 14, 2015, an interviewer asked Provodnikov, "What career path would you have chosen for yourself if you were not a boxer?" Vadim Kornilov, Provodnikov's translator, translated Provodnikov's response as, "It's really hard to say or predict. Um, I don't think that if I was in box-, if I wasn't in boxing I don't think that you would have ever known that there's such a person exists by the name of Ruslan Provodnikov. The way I look at it, I would probably be in jail or maybe not even alive, if I was not a boxer. Maybe I'd just be somewhere drinking my life away. Um, that's what most people do in the, the place where I live, and, you know, I think boxing saved my life." The interviewer's question starts at the 0:52 mark of the video, and the interviewer's question ends at the 0:56 mark of the video. Provodnikov's translator's quote starts at the 1:27 mark of the video, and Provodnikov's translator's quote ends at the 1:53 mark of the video.
- "Ruslan Provodnikov on His Origin, His Career, Tim Bradley - Boxing News". Boxingscene.com. 2013-03-16. Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- In a video titled, "Tila interviews Boxing Champion Ruslan Provodnikov PT. 1", which was published to YouTube on May 20, 2010, the subtitles for Provodnikov's speech said, "I had a lot of trouble as a child so my father introduced me to boxing when I was ten years old". This quote is in the video's subtitles that start at the 0:53 mark of the video, and the quote ends at the 1:08 mark of the video.
- In a video titled, "Interview with Ruslan Provodnikov (Siberian Rocky) Professional Russian Boxer 2013", which was published to YouTube on April 13, 2013, Vadim Kornilov, Provodnikov's translator, translated Provodnikov to have said, "I got into boxing just because I'm in a small town. There was no boxing there before at all. I get, I use to get punished for fighting, so when I was small my dad took me as soon as a boxing trainer appeared and there was a class. My dad took me there, and I got rewarded for fighting, so that's how I loved boxing." This quote from Provodnikov's translator starts at the 0:39 mark of the video, and this quote ends at the 0:53 mark of the video.
- Iole, Kevin (2013-10-17). "Ruslan Provodnikov went from Siberian anonymity to must-see attraction thanks to a promoter's whim trip - Yahoo Sports". Sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2014-05-27.
- "Provodnikov continues comeback against Torres on FNF". RingTV.
- Mulvaney, K. Quick Hits: Ruslan Provodnikov. HBO. Retrieved November 27, 2016, from link
- Lieberman, M. (2014). Provodnikov: Eating raw moose liver makes me strong!. Sports News 24. Retrieved November 28, 2016, from link
- "Timothy Bradley overcomes Ruslan Provodnikov to keep belt - ESPN". Espn.go.com. 2013-03-17. Retrieved 2014-05-27.
- "RingTV.com poll: Fight of the Year: Bradley-Provodnikov - Ring TV". Ringtv.craveonline.com. 2013-12-29. Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- Ginn, Leighton (2014-03-18). "Tim Bradley wins BWAA fight of the year honors for Ruslan Provodnikov bout". Desertsun.com. Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- Groke, Nick. "Mike Alvarado falls by TKO in title fight against Ruslan Provodnikov". The Denver Post. Retrieved 2014-05-27.
- "Provodnikov vs Algieri results: Chris Algieri shocks with split decision win". Bad Left Hook. 2014-06-15. Retrieved 2016-05-12.
|Regional boxing titles|
Title last held byWilly Blain
|WBO Inter-Continental light welterweight champion
28 November 2009 – February 2010
Title next held byLucas Matthysse
Title last held byKhabib Allakhverdiev
|WBC–ACBO light welterweight champion
5 December 2011 – January 2012
Title next held byEkapol Singwancha
Title last held byDanny García
|WBO Inter-Continental light welterweight champion
27 January 2012 – 16 March 2013
Lost bid for world title
Title next held byBradley Saunders
|World boxing titles|
|WBO light welterweight champion
19 October 2013 – 14 June 2014
Juan Manuel Márquez vs.
Manny Pacquiao IV
|The Ring Fight of the Year
vs. Timothy Bradley
Lucas Matthysse vs.
John Molina Jr.
|BWAA Fight of the Year
vs. Timothy Bradley
Manny Pacquiao vs.
Juan Manuel Márquez IV
|The Ring Round of the Year
Round 6 vs. Timothy Bradley
Tommy Coyle vs.