Chin (combat sports)
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: mostly unreferenced list of people; the list of people is unnecessary to the subject of this article. Only a few of the most prominent examples should be here, not an exhaustive list (August 2014)|
||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (August 2014)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014)|
In combat sports such as boxing, kickboxing and mixed martial arts, a fighter's chin is a figurative term that refers to an ability to tolerate physical trauma to the chin without being knocked unconscious. The fictional Rocky Balboa character of the Rocky franchise epitomizes the concept of a boxer with a granite chin.
A fighter with a "good chin" refers to a fighter with the ability to absorb blows to the chin without being struck unconscious, which can also be called a "granite chin", an "iron chin" or the like.
Although such fighters have been knocked out, it is rare. There is a dispute as to the physiology of having a "good chin". Some believe that a strong neck that resists a sudden angular acceleration of the head is what makes a "good chin". Supporters of this belief point to Evander Holyfield and Marvin Hagler, both of whom were strong and had large trapezius muscles around the neck. Others believe that it is genetics that decides whether a fighter will have a good chin or not.
A fighter with a "bad chin", "china chin", "suspect chin", or "glass jaw" refers to fighters with limited ability to absorb punishment to the chin or jaw. Many clubfighters and journeymen may have glass chins, although it may depend on weight class or sometimes legs. Some boxing experts, such as Teddy Atlas, believe it to be a mindframe. Additionally, some fighters have been known to have better chins as a result of moving up to a higher weight class. One example of this is Miguel Cotto, who was seen as having a relatively weak chin at light welterweight but was harder to hurt once he moved up to welterweight.
The following boxers have been known to possess a strong chin:
- Muhammad Ali
- Carmen Basilio
- George Chuvalo
- Tex Cobb
- Tommy Farr
- George Foreman
- Gene Fullmer
- Kid Gavilan
- Gennady Golovkin
- Harry Greb
- Marvin Hagler
- Evander Holyfield
- Vitali Klitschko
- Jake LaMotta
- Rocky Marciano
- Oliver McCall
- Ray Mercer
- Carlos Monzón
- Sugar Ray Robinson
- Barney Ross
- Salvador Sanchez
- Chris Eubank
The following kickboxers have been known to possess a strong chin:
Mixed martial arts
The following list of mixed martial artists are known to have a strong chin:
- Yoshihiro Akiyama
- Stephan Bonnar
- Wesley Correira (earlier in his career)
- Carlos Condit
- Patrick Côté
- Nick Diaz
- Nate Diaz
- Brian Ebersole
- Fedor Emelianenko
- Kazuyuki Fujita (earlier in his career)
- Clay Guida
- Dan Henderson
- Mark Hunt
- Quinton Jackson
- Chuck Liddell (in his prime)
- Chris Lytle
- Roy Nelson
- BJ Penn
- Kazushi Sakuraba (in his prime)
- Diego Sanchez
- Sean Strickland
- Don Frye
- Pro Boxing-Fans; Emen, Jake (2009-08-28). "Manny Pacquiao vs. Miguel Cotto Preview & Predictions".
- "Top 12 All-Time Best Chins". 2011-08-25.
- Houston, Graham (2008-01-08). "The Ten Best Chins in Boxing History". ESPN. Retrieved 2011-04-17.
- Heavyweight Kickboxing's Hardest Heads
- Bovy Loses Shootboxing Bout to Former Boxer Suzuki.
- Keys to Victory: Daniel Ghita
- Mark Hunt profile
- Badr Hari vs. Alexey Ignashov; a Battle of the Bad Boys
- K-1 legend Ray Sefo to make Strikeforce debut against Kevin Jordan
- UFC 116 Fighter Analysis – Yoshihiro Akiyama
- "UFC Power Rankings: Nick Diaz and the Top 5 Chins Right Now". bleacherreport.com. 2012-07-27. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- Stephan Bonnar: The American Psycho
- Former UFC fighter Wesley Correira arrested in Walmart parking lot, pleads not guilty to burglary and theft
- UFC 90: Can Cote Upset Silva?
- Nick Diaz vs Jeff Lacy: Contract Signed For Fall Showdown
- 5 Reasons Why Fedor Emelianenko Could Beat Dan Henderson
- Worst Life Ever: The Story of Kazuyuki Fujita's Skull
- TUF 13 Finale Results
- Strikeforce Columbus: Dan Henderson and the Top 10 Chins in MMA
- The Top 10 Threats To Fedor Emilianenko
- UFC 115: How Far Has Chuck Liddell Declined?
- UFC 116 Preview: Chris Lytle Eyeballing Another Bonus Check Against Matt Brown
- Roy Nelson Shows Granite Chin In Loss to Junior Dos Santos
- Kazushi Sakuraba Most Brutal Beatings Tribute
- Clay Guida, Rick Story and the 10 Best Chins in the UFC
- Ponzinibbio Vs Sean Strickland