Russell Batiste Jr.
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Russell Batiste Jr.|
Russell Batiste Jr. playing at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, 2008
|Birth name||David Russell Batiste Jr.|
December 12, 1965|
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
|Genres||Funk, Rhythm and Blues, Blues|
The Funky Meters|
Walter "Wolfman" Washington
Brought up in a musical family, Batiste started playing drums at the age of four. He also learned to play keyboards, saxophone, guitar and bass, and started to play in the family band when he was seven.
Batiste left college after two years to join Charmaine Neville's band. He joined the funky Meters, the reincarnation of the funk band The Meters, in 1989. The funky Meters without Art Neville currently plays under the name Porter Batiste Stoltz (PBS). (with George Porter Jr. on bass, and Brian Stoltz on guitar)
As a solo artist, he leads his own band Russell Batiste Jr. and the Orkestra from 'Da Hood and has released two albums under the name.
Batiste also plays regularly with organ player Joe Krown and guitarist Walter "Wolfman" Washington as the Krown Washington Batiste trio. This unit released a live CD Live at the Maple Leaf in 2008.
Batiste has performed with wide range of musicians and bands including Papa Grows Funk, Vida Blue, Harry Connick Jr., Champion Jack Dupree, Robbie Robertson and Maceo Parker. In 1987 Batiste was in the New Orleans funk band Nuclear Rhythms featuring percussionist songwriter Rosie Rosato, psychedelic funk guitarist songwriter Dirk Billie and bassist songwriter Mark Adam Miller.
- 2000 Orkestra from 'Da Hood (Russell Batiste Jr.)
- 2003 The Clinic (Russell Batiste Jr.)
With The Funky Meters
- 2003 Fiyo at the Fillmore, Vol. 1 (Fuel 2000)
With Vida Blue
With Porter Batiste Stoltz
- 2005 Expanding The Funkin' Universe (Ouw)
- 2008 Moodoo (High Steppin' Productions)
With Krown Washington Batiste
- 2008 Live at the Maple Leaf (Independent)
- 2010 Triple Threat (Independent)
- 2013 Soul Understanding (Independent)
-  Archived February 12, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Russell Batiste". Drum Solo Artist. 1965-12-12. Retrieved 2014-08-27.
- Chris Ryan. "Joe Krown Trio - Krown, Washington & Batiste". Joekrown.com. Retrieved 2014-08-27.
- Christopher Blagg (May 2001). "CD Review/Papa Grows Funk/Doin' It". OffBeat. Archived from the original on November 27, 2010. Retrieved October 24, 2008.
-  Archived July 24, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- New Orleans Music Guide Book, p. 206, Blues Interactions
-  Archived July 13, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Joe Krown". joekrown.com. Archived from the original on September 17, 2017. Retrieved October 15, 2017.