Ryeish Green School
|Motto||Building on Previous Best|
|Location||Hyde End Lane
Royal County of Berkshire
|Website||Ryeish Green School: Wokingham|
Ryeish Green School was a comprehensive secondary school located in the hamlet of Ryeish Green, near Spencers Wood in Reading, Berkshire. The school closed in 2010, and a new school—Oakbank—opened on the site in 2012.
Ryeish Green School was originally called Three Mile Cross Primary School when it was built in 1911. It originally taught pupils aged 5 to 14 years. Its first headmaster was Mr Reeley.
After World War II, the school modernised, expanded and amalgamated with a school in Spencers Wood (which is now the village library) to become a senior school.
Ryeish Green was closed in 2010. Wokingham Borough Council closed the school after it experienced falling student numbers; the school saw a reduction of approximately 150 students over a four-year period from 2002 to 2006.
In 2007, an independent candidate stood in the local council elections running on a Save Ryeish Green School ticket. Although both Labour and Liberal candidates stood down in favour of him, he fell a few votes short of the Conservative candidate who supported the school's closure.
Academic results 2007
- 34% achieving Level 2 (5+A*-C) including English and maths GCSEs
- 35% achieving Level 2 in functional English and maths
- 98% achieving Level 1 in functional English and maths
- 38% achieving Level 2 threshold (the equivalent of 5+A*-C)
- 93% achieving Level 1 threshold (the equivalent of 5+A*-G)
- 23% of students at the end of Key Stage 4 who achieved two GCSEs or equivalent at grades A*-C which cover the Key Stage 4 science programme of study
- 99% achieving at least one entry level qualification
- The average UCAS score per candidate for A/AS-Levels was 445.0
- Prince's Trust 2007 S.E.Region Community Impact Award
- Healthy Schools Award 2008
- In 2008 the Ryeish Green Yr 11 football team was victorious in Reading Schools 2008 tournament at the Madejski Stadium.
- http://www.ryeishgreen.wokingham.sch.uk/ Ryeish Green School official web-site
- Bryant, Sally (10 September 2012). "First day for new free school". Get Reading. Retrieved 10 September 2012.
- Ryeish Green School