S.U.N.Y. at Stonybrook: Stonybrook, NY 9/19/71
|S.U.N.Y. at Stonybrook: Stonybrook, NY 9/19/71|
|Live album by The Allman Brothers Band|
|Recorded||September 19, 1971|
|Label||The Allman Brothers Band Recording Company|
|Producer||The Allman Brothers Band|
|The Allman Brothers Band chronology|
S.U.N.Y. at Stonybrook: Stonybrook, NY 9/19/71 (titled with slightly different variations in the album packaging) is an archival live album released in 2003 and self-distributed by the Allman Brothers Band.
The album includes performances from two shows at the Stony Brook University Gym on September 19, 1971, five weeks prior to the death of Duane Allman. An emergent research university situated roughly fifty-five miles east of Midtown Manhattan, Stony Brook was suffused with a countercultural elan throughout the era. Five Allman Brothers Band concerts at the University in the late 1960s and early 1970s have been documented; on one occasion, the group rehearsed at the Tabler Quad residence hall.
The elder Allman's role as bandleader is multiply evident: the signed contract for the concert included in the album's packaging, he announces the songs, and barks orders at the sound crew, sometimes in mid-song.
The Allman Brothers' website suggests the evening's stand-out performances were "Blue Sky", the only live version featuring Duane Allman that has been released by the band, and "Dreams", a showcase for his flatpicking and slide guitar skills.
An advisory in the liner notes states, "The live mix evolved from the first song & continued to improve as the set progressed. Great care was taken to improve the sonic quality of the first few tracks to achieve a pleasing audio experience."
- "Statesboro Blues" (Blind Willie McTell) - 4:16
- "Trouble No More" (Muddy Waters) - 4:00
- "Don't Keep Me Wonderin'" (Gregg Allman) - 3:47
- "Done Somebody Wrong" (Elmore James, Clarence Lewis, Bobby Robinson) - 3:54
- "One Way Out" (Elmore James, Marshall Sehorn, Sonny Boy Williamson II) - 5:08
- "Blue Sky" (Dickey Betts) - 11:26
- "Stormy Monday" (T-Bone Walker) - 8:53
- "You Don't Love Me" (Willie Cobbs) - 25:47
- "Dreams" (Gregg Allman) - 19:37
- "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" (Dickey Betts) - 19:43
- Duane Allman: lead guitar, slide guitar
- Gregg Allman: vocals, Hammond B3 organ, electric piano
- Dickey Betts: lead guitar, vocals
- Berry Oakley: bass guitar
- Butch Trucks: drums, tympani
- Jai Johanny "Jaimoe" Johanson: drums, percussion
- Ruhlmann, William (2011). "S.U.N.Y. at Stonybrook: Stonybrook, NY 9/19/71 - The Allman Brothers Band | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 6 August 2011.