S. P. Varadappa
S. P. Varadappa
Singanalluru Puttaswamayya Varadaraju
|Died||8 February 2006 (aged 70–71)|
|Occupation||Film producer, actor|
|Family||Rajkumar (brother) |
Singanalluru Puttaswamayya Varadaraju (1935 – 8 February 2006), also spelt Singanallor Puttaswamaiah Varadaraj and popularly known as Varadappa or S. P. Varadappa, was a Kannada actor and producer, who produced movies such as Bhootayyana Maga Aiyyu starring Lokesh and Hemavathi starring Udaykumar.
He was an architect in shaping up Sri Vajreshwari Combines, one of the most successful banners in Kannada film industry, under which Parvathamma Rajkumar produced movies with Rajkumar, Shiv RajKumar, Raghavendra Rajkumar, and Puneeth Rajkumar.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (March 2012)
He was born at Gajanur – situated in the Karnataka–Tamil Nadu border – to Singanalluru Puttaswamayya, a theatre-artist, and Lakshmamma as a second child; Rajkumar, a Kannada film icon, is his elder brother while Sharadamma (Nagamma) is his younger sister.
He began his career as an actor part of Gubbi company (drama troupe) along with his father, elder brother – S.P. Muthuraj – popularly known as Rajkumar – and his younger sister. Later, he acted in couple of movies as a child artist in Makaranda and Krishnaleela. As an adult, he played minor roles in Kannada movies such as Sarvagnamoorthy released in 1965, Satishakti, and Dharma Vijaya released in 1959, in which his brother Rajkumar played a lead role. He produced Bhootayyana Maga Aiyyu and Hemavathi movies along with his friend – Chandulal Jain.
Varadappa[Varadaraj], after the success of Bedara Kannappa – starring Rajkumar – he stood behind his brother and his family when they settled in Chennai – then Madras; He remained a most trusted guide and friend to Rajkumar to the extent of his involvement in selection of stories for home productions – Vajreshwari Combines. It is believed that without the efforts of Varadappa, Kannada filmdom would have missed out a great actor – Rajkumar. It is said that, he was an integral part of Rajkumar and his family, and was responsible for the success of Rajkumar's films along with his sister-in-law Parvathamma Rajkumar.
- "S.P. Varadaraj passes away". hindu.com. 9 February 2006. Retrieved 26 March 2012.
S.P. Varadaraj – Varadaraj, popularly known as Varadappa
- "Love is life –". hindu.com. 24 December 2010. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
Parvathamma followed Rajkumar constantly. Her keen observation, soon gave her the confidence to start Vajreshwari Combines and became the producer of all Rajkumar's films. Recalling her brother-in-law Varadappa who was a big support to her, she says, "Trimurthi was my first film. It was a big success.
- "Movies Produced – Vajreshwari Combines productions include the following movies". raj-kumar.com. Retrieved 26 March 2012.
- "Gajanur prays for their 'hero'". rediff.com. 7 August 2000. Retrieved 26 March 2012.
- "Kannada Actor Rajkumar Movies Dr. Rajkumar Films Top Hit Films Best Movie". celebrity.psyphil.com. Retrieved 26 March 2012.
Dharma Vijaya – Dr Rajkumar, Leelavathi, Narshimaraju, Harini, Varadappa
- "The man who changed Kannada cinema". rediff.com. 13 April 2006. Retrieved 25 March 2012.
Rajkumar joined his father Singanallur Puttaswamayya and brother Varadappa's (Varadanna as he is called) in performing for a drama troupe
- "SP Varadaraju Awards". supergoodmovies.com. 27 February 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2012.
The annual SP Varadaraju awards for theatre personality Ranganayakamma and cinema actor Ashwath Narayana has been declared
- "SP Varadaraju Awards Presented". supergoodmovies.com. 29 February 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2012.
Yet another memorable and touching awards evening by likeminded friends in the cinema industry held the 5th year SP Varadaraju (younger brother of Dr Rajakumar the pillar in the family of Raj Empire) award evening on Tuesday evening at Kannada Sahitya Parishat.
- "Presentation of SP Varadarajappa Award". pics4news.com. 17 March 2009. Retrieved 26 March 2012.
Parvathamma Rajkumar presented SP Varadarajappa Award to Shani Mahadevappa and Sarojamma Datturagi during the award presentation ceremony at Nayana
- the efforts of his brother Varadaraju, Kannada filmdom might have missed out on a great actor. It is said that Varadaraju's recent death had created a vacuum in Rajkumar's life. Rajkumar joined his father Singanallur Puttaswamayya and brother Varadappa's (Varadanna as he is called) in performing for a drama troupe.
- DR. RAJKUMAR – Brother : S.P.Varadaraju – Father : Singanallooru Puttaswamayya – Mother : Laxmamma
- Biography of Dr. Rajkumar – Annavaru – Family – Rajkumar had a brother S.P.Varadaraju who worked with him in his production company. He also had a sister by name Sharadamma.