SCORE Lites Class 12 is an open-wheel air-cooled Volkswagen motor class that competes in the SCORE off-road race series including the Baja 1000, Baja 500, Baja Sur 500, San Felipe 250 and the SCORE Desert Challenge. Four-wheel single and two-seat vehicles less than 1835cc in size. No production bodied vehicles are allowed in this class.
Class 12 vehicles are two-wheel drive and most feature a 4130 chromoly tube-frame chassis covered by a composite body. Vehicles must weigh a minimum of 1500 pounds.
Engine must be Volkswagen Type 1 retaining 2 valves per cylinder. Single-seat vehicles must displace less than 1776cc, and two-seat vehicles must be less than 1835cc. One carburetor that retains a maximum of 2 venturies per carburetor with a size of less than 42mm.
Limited to Volkswagen Type 1 configuration. Must be of the twin-beam trailing arm type. Beam is open. Trailing arms are open. Spindles are open.
May not have a production-appearing Utility or Sport Utility body.
Notable race teams
- Michael Crichton Motorsports - 2015 SCORE Lites Class 12 Championship Winner, 2016 Baja 1000 2nd-place finish
- K.I.T. Racing - Rick St. John
- "Bingham Racing" - Bob Bingham
- "SCORE OFF-ROAD RACING – SCORE-International.com". www.score-international.com. Retrieved 2015-12-30.
- "The Volkswagen Type 1 "Beetle" marks its 75th anniversary | Hemmings Daily". Hemmings Motor News. Retrieved 2015-12-30.
- SCORE International (2011). "2011-2015 Off-Road Racing Rules and Regulations".
- SCORE International. "2009 New Classes & Existing Class Rule Amendments"
- Official SCORE International website
- Official SCORE International Journal
- Official SCORE International Carbon TV channel
|This motorsport-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|