|Place of origin||Italy|
|Used by||See Users|
|Action||Pump-action/gas-actuated, rotating bolt |
|Rate of fire||Semi-automatic|
|Effective firing range||40 m (130 ft)|
|Feed system||3, 6 or 8-round detachable box magazine|
The weapon is based on the SPAS-12, and has similar pump-action/semi-automatic firing modes. In semi-automatic mode a gas piston drives a bolt carrier and rotating bolt. In pump-action mode the same components are driven by sliding the fore-end backwards. Pump-action mode is required to reliably fire low-pressure (less lethal) ammunition such as tear gas rounds or less-lethal bean bags. Switching between firing modes is done by pressing a button above the foregrip, and sliding the foregrip slightly forwards or backwards. The barrel is chrome lined and features screw-in choke tubes.
Unlike its predecessor, the SPAS-15 is fed by a detachable box magazine. The gun features a folding stock and a pistol grip safety. Amongst Italian troops the weapon is known by the nickname "La Chiave dell'Incursore" (the key of the commando) because it is used to blast the locks of closed doors.
In 1994, the United States banned the importation of the SPAS-15 with close to 180 shotguns imported, but later abolished the relevant regulations. In Canada, the SPAS-15 is classified as a Prohibited Weapon and cannot be legally owned or imported except under very limited circumstances. In Italy the SPAS-15 is not subject to any kind of restriction for sale, purchase or possession, and despite no longer being in production it is still fairly common on the civilian market.
- Argentina: Used by Gendarmeria Nacional Argentina.
- Belarus: Used by the "Almaz" anti-terrorist group.
- Brazil: Used by Military Police GRT unit and BOPE.
- Italy: 2,000 acquired in 1999 by the Italian Army. Also used by the Carabinieri.
- Dominican Republic: Dominican Army.
- Israel: Israeli special forces 
- Portugal: Portuguese Army.
- Serbia: Special Brigade.
- Tunisia: Tunisian Armed Forces.
- India: special forces, National Security Guard
- Firearms, an illustrated guide to small arms of the world, di Chris McNab
- Jones, Richard (2009). Jane's Infantry Weapons 2009-2010. Jane's Information Group. p. 308. ISBN 0-7106-2869-2.
- List of Restricted and Prohibited Firearms Archived 11 February 2010 at the Wayback Machine., Canadian Firearms Centre (CFC)
- Juan Larrosa. "Blog de las Fuerzas de Defensa de la República Argentina". fdra.blogspot.it.
- "АЛМАЗ - антитерор". YouTube. 22 March 2011.
- "grt". Fotolog.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 October 2010. Retrieved 1 February 2010.
- Carabinieri http://www.carabinieri.it/Internet/Arma/Oggi/Armamento/Armamento+speciale/Spas15/
- http://www.exercito.pt/meios/Documents/media_MeiosOp/Armamento/ESP%20CAÇ%20SEMI-AUT%20FRANCHI-SPAS.pdf Archived 17 January 2016 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Specijalna brigada Vojske Srbije". Military World.