This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Privately held company|
|Fate||Changed name to Parallels, Inc. in 2008|
|Headquarters||Herndon, Virginia, USA|
Number of employees
SWsoft was a privately held server automation and virtualization software company and the parent company of Parallels, Inc. SWsoft developed software for running data centers, particularly for web-hosting services companies, application service providers, and managed service providers. SWsoft products included applications for operating system-level virtualization, which enables users to run multiple operating systems, including Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and Solaris, on a single computer.
The company was founded in 1997 and maintained its headquarters in Herndon, Virginia with additional offices throughout North America, Europe, and Asia. Its research and development offices were located in Moscow, Russia and it had sales offices in Germany and Singapore.
This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (April 2017)
- 1997 - SWsoft founded
- 2007 - December 12: SWsoft announces that it will change its name to "Parallels" in 2008.
- 2007 - December: SWsoft acquires WebHostAutomation Ltd developers of HELM Control Panel.
- January 2008 - SWsoft officially becomes Parallels, Inc.
SWsoft’s virtualization software is predominantly used to automate data center and server management and to consolidate multiple servers onto one Windows- or Linux-based physical server. The company’s products are developed predominantly for web hosting companies, service providers, and corporations.
Although the company’s software reportedly uses fewer system resources because it does not require each virtualized server to have an independent operating system, its overall flexibility is limited. For example, each virtualized Virtuozzo server must have the same version of the same operating system, and when running Linux, the operating systems' kernel must be modified from the standard version.
- ISP-Planet - Webhosting - SWsoft's Moscow Edge
- SWsoft Buys Plesk, Yippi-Yeah! Automation Firms
- SWsoft Builds Virtual Bridge
- GRIDtoday: SWsoft, Acronis Announce Server Virtualization Partnership
- Web Host Industry News | SWsoft Releases Plesk 7 for Windows
- Web Host Industry News | SWsoft Releases Beta of SiteBuilder
- Parallels acknowledges SWsoft ownership
- Parallels Helm 4.0
- SWsoft adds cheaper intro to virtualization | CNET News.com