Location of Salineno, Texas
|• Total||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|• Land||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||220 ft (67 m)|
|• Density||2,000/sq mi (780/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1346183|
Salineño is a census-designated place (CDP) in Starr County, Texas, United States. The name was changed in 2008, adding a tilde over the second n. The population was 201 at the 2010 census down from 304 at the 2000 census.
Salineño is located at(26.517553, -99.112058).
As of the census of 2000, there were 304 people, 92 households, and 81 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 108.9 people per square mile (42.1/km²). There were 129 housing units at an average density of 46.2/sq mi (17.9/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 91.12% White, 0.33% African American, 7.24% from other races, and 1.32% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 99.34% of the population.
There were 92 households out of which 32.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.1% were married couples living together, 23.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 10.9% were non-families. 8.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.30 and the average family size was 3.55.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 29.6% under the age of 18, 11.2% from 18 to 24, 19.1% from 25 to 44, 26.3% from 45 to 64, and 13.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 75.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.9 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $13,125, and the median income for a family was $13,490. Males had a median income of $31,250 versus $8,750 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $5,115. About 40.0% of families and 38.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 37.7% of those under the age of 18 and 30.2% of those 65 or over.
Public education in the community of Salineño is provided by the Roma Independent School District. Zoned campuses include Emma Vera Elementary School (grades K-5), Roma Middle School (grades 6-8), and Roma High School (grades 9-12).
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "State : Area Name (with parent county and code)" (TXT). 2.census.gov. Retrieved 2016-12-28.
- "2010 Census: Population of Texas Cities Arranged in Alphabetical Order - TSLAC". Tsl.texas.gov. Retrieved 2016-12-28.
- "Population and Housing Unit Counts, 2010 Census of Population and Housing" (PDF). Texas: 2010.
- "Salineño, Texas :: Boundary Map of Salineño, Texas". Maptechnica.com. Retrieved 2016-12-28.
- "2009-2010 Roma ISD Elementary Boundaries" (PDF). Roma Independent School District. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- "2009-2010 Roma ISD Middle School Boundaries" (PDF). Roma Independent School District. Retrieved 2009-10-13.