Salisbury District Hospital
|Salisbury District Hospital|
|Salisbury NHS Foundation Trust|
|Location||Salisbury, Wiltshire, England|
|Care system||NHS England|
|Beds||464 (April 2016)|
Salisbury District Hospital is a large hospital at Odstock in Wiltshire, England, about 1+1⁄2 miles (2.4 km) south of the centre of the city of Salisbury. It is managed by the Salisbury NHS Foundation Trust.
The first Odstock Hospital was constructed in the parish of Britford in 1942 by the United States Army to treat American troops who were stationed in the Salisbury area during the Second World War. A specialist burns unit, rehabilitation department and Macmillan Cancer Unit were built there after the war. A spinal injuries treatment centre was officially opened by the Prince and Princess of Wales in 1984.
A new hospital, known as Salisbury District Hospital, was built at Odstock to replace the old Odstock Hospital, the Salisbury Infirmary in Fisherton Street and Newbridge Hospital, which had provided care for the elderly. The new hospital was officially opened on the site by the Duchess of Kent in 1991.
In March 2018, retired Colonel Sergei Skripal (a former agent for Russia who then provided assistance to Britain and was caught and imprisoned by Russia and later freed in a spy swap), and his daughter, Yulia, were treated at Salisbury District Hospital after they were found poisoned by a substance thought to be a Novichok agent.
In 2016 the hospital had over 4,000 members of staff and provided services to around 240,000 people in the counties of Wiltshire, Dorset and Hampshire. It also has the longest running Skin Laser Clinic in the country.
- "Salisbury District Hospital – Inspection Summary". Care Quality Commission. 7 April 2016. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "Hospital celebrates 21 years". Salisbury Journal. 17 January 2014. Retrieved 16 September 2018.
- "History of the Hospital". Salisbury NHS Foundation Trust. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "Visual guide: how the novichok suspects made their way to Salisbury". The Guardian. 5 September 2018. Retrieved 16 September 2018.
- Dearden, Dearden (7 March 2018). "Sergei Skripal poisoning: Investigators 'know more' about substance used against Russian spy and daughter, Home Secretary says". MSN. Retrieved 8 March 2018.
- "Salisbury Laser Clinic - Salisbury NHS Foundation Trust". www.salisbury.nhs.uk. Retrieved 6 October 2016.
- "Schedule of Decisions" (pdf). Heritage Lottery Fund. 13 January 2016. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "Salisbury Healthcare History". ArtCare. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Salisbury District Hospital.|