Royal Bournemouth Hospital
|Royal Bournemouth Hospital|
|The Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.|
|Location||Bournemouth, Dorset, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Emergency department||Yes Accident & Emergency|
|Lists||Hospitals in the United Kingdom|
The hospital is located a short distance from the Wessex Way (A338) in Castle Lane East (A3060) in Bournemouth. It is served by bus routes operated by Wilts & Dorset and Yellow Buses. Bournemouth railway station is approximately 1.5 miles (2.4 km) from the hospital.
The hospital opened in 1989. It replaced the Royal Victoria Hospital, Shelley Rd, Boscombe which was then demolished in 1993. (Sixteen of the original W. B. Simpson tile panels from the Royal Victoria Hospital may be found, mounted on the stairs of the hospital. The panels, which date from 1910, show nursery rhymes and fairy tales.) It also replaced the acute services at the Christchurch Hospital which were closed down.
The Hospital Trust gained Foundation Trust status on 1 April 2005 following three consecutive years of being rated as a three star performing trust.
It has a 24-hour accident & emergency department, which sees around 60,000 patients a year, and a large day treatment centre and day surgery unit. A purpose built 18-bed ophthalmic unit is located on site as well as a cardiology unit and an orthopaedic unit providing hip and knee replacements.
It provides district-wide services for vascular surgery and urology. Outpatient clinics are provided for oral surgery, paediatrics, plastic surgery, ENT (ears, nose and throat), cardiothoracic and neurology.
It is also the home to a diabetic unit called BDEC, which treats and educates local patients diagnosed with the disease.
A 12-minute film entitled Porters made by students from Newport Film School at the hospital in 2015, told the story of the hospital's porters. It won a number of awards and was added to the British Film Institute's national archives.
- "The Royal Bournemouth Hospital". The Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Trust. 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- "Welcome to The Royal Bournemouth Hospital" (PDF). NHS. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- Boscombe Hospital, Shelley Road, Boscombe, Bournemouth, Dorset
- "Hospital guide: The Royal Bournemouth Hospital". Dr Foster. 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- "Bournemouth RBH porters will go down in history as award-winning short film is added to BFI archive". Bournemouth Echo. 11 December 2015. Retrieved 12 December 2015.