Royal Bournemouth Hospital
|Royal Bournemouth Hospital|
|Royal Bournemouth & Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust|
Royal Bournemouth Hospital
|Location||Bournemouth, Dorset, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Emergency department||Yes Accident & Emergency|
|Beds||586 (Trustwide, Quarter 4, 2017)|
|Lists||Hospitals in the United Kingdom|
The Royal Bournemouth Hospital is an acute general hospital in Bournemouth, Dorset, UK. It is managed by the Royal Bournemouth & Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
The first phase of the hospital, which replaced the Royal Victoria Hospital,[a] opened in 1989. A second phase of the hospital was opened by Princess Anne in 1992. A Cardiac Intervention Unit was opened in April 2005 and the Derwent Hospital, a 28-bed unit previously operated as a private hospital, was purchased in 2007.
It has a 24-hour accident & emergency department. It also provides district-wide services for vascular surgery and urology. Outpatient clinics are provided for oral surgery, paediatrics, plastic surgery, ENT (ears, nose and throat), cardiothoracic and neurology.
It is also the home to a diabetic unit called BDEC, which treats and educates local patients diagnosed with the disease.
A 12-minute film entitled Porters made by students from Newport Film School at the hospital in 2015, told the story of the hospital's porters. It won a number of awards and was added to the British Film Institute's national archives.
|Urgent and emergency services||Good||Good||Good||Good||Outstanding||Good|
|Critical care||Good||Good||Good||Requires improvement||Good||Good|
|Maternity and gynaecology||Good||Good||Good||Good||Outstanding||Good|
|Services for children and young people||Good||Good||Outstanding||Good||Good||Good|
|End of life care||Good||Good||Good||Good||Good||Good|
|Outpatients and diagnostic imaging||Good||Not rated||Good||Good||Good||Good|
The hospital is located a short distance from the Wessex Way (A338) in Castle Lane East (A3060) in Bournemouth. It is served by bus routes operated by Wilts & Dorset and Yellow Buses. Bournemouth railway station is approximately 1.5 miles (2.4 km) from the hospital.
- Sixteen of the original W. B. Simpson tile panels from the Royal Victoria Hospital may be found, mounted on the stairs of the hospital. The panels, which date from 1910, show nursery rhymes and fairy tales.
- "Bed Availability and Occupancy Data – Overnight". NHS England. Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- Boscombe Hospital, Shelley Road, Boscombe, Bournemouth, Dorset
- "21 Achievements over 21 years" (PDF). Royal Bournemouth Hospital and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "Welcome to the Derwent" (PDF). Royal Bournemouth Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "Hospital bosses blasted over Christchurch ward closure consultation". Bournemouth Echo. 9 December 2009. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "Accident And Emergency Department - Royal Bournemouth Hospital". Dorset Family Information Directory. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "Hospital guide: The Royal Bournemouth Hospital". Dr Foster. 2010. Retrieved 19 July 2010.
- "Bournemouth RBH porters will go down in history as award-winning short film is added to BFI archive". Bournemouth Echo. 11 December 2015. Retrieved 12 December 2015.
- "Royal Bournemouth Hospital Quality Report" (PDF). Care Quality Commission. p. 11.
- "Welcome to The Royal Bournemouth Hospital" (PDF). NHS. Archived from the original (PDF) on 8 October 2007. Retrieved 19 July 2010.