Sally A. Fincher
1959 (age 62–63)
|Alma mater||University of Kent (BSc)|
Georgetown University (MA)
|Awards||Suffrage Science award (2018)|
Outstanding Contribution to Computer Science Education (2010)
National Teaching Fellowship (2005)
Computing education research
|Institutions||University of Kent|
Sally A. Fincher  is a British Computer Scientist and Emerita Professor of Computing Education at the University of Kent. She was awarded the Suffrage Science award in 2018 the SIGCSE Award for Outstanding Contribution to Computer Science Education in 2010 and a National Teaching Fellowship in 2005.(born 1959)
Early life and education
Fincher was an undergraduate student at the University of Kent, where she studied philosophy and computer science. She moved to the United States for her graduate studies, where she was awarded a Master of Arts degree in English from Georgetown University.[when?]
Research and career
Fincher leads the University of Kent Computing Education Group. Here she has led computing education projects, including the bootstrapping research in Computer Science Education series and the UK sharing practice project. These programmes looked to identify best practise for computer science education and disseminate this information to the teaching community.
Beyond innovations in computing education, Fincher studies patterns and the development of patterns for human–computer interaction. She created a pattern library for user interfaces for human–computer interactions.
Awards and honours
Fincher was honoured by Ann Blandford for ‘making computer science education inclusive and effective’. She served as chair of the Council of Professors and Heads of Computing (CPHC) from 2018 to 2020. Other awards include:
- 2003 Mary Kenneth Keller Computer Science & Engineering Undergraduate Teaching Award
- 2004 Honorary Doctorate from Antenor Orrego Private University
- 2005 Awarded a National Teaching Fellowship by the Higher Education Academy (HEA)
- 2009 Awarded distinguished membership of the Association for Computing Machinery
- 2010 Outstanding Contribution to Computer Science Education from the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) Special Interest Group (SIG) on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE)
- 2018 Suffrage Science award
Her publications include:
- Computer Science Education Research with Marian Petre
- The Cambridge Handbook of Computing Education Research with Anthony V. Robins
- Programming Environments for Novices
- Computer science project work : principles and pragmatics
- Sally Fincher at Library of Congress Authorities
- Fincher, Sally (2005). "University of Kent at the 2005 NTFS awards". Archived from the original on 24 July 2011.
- Sally Fincher publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Anon (2018). "Suffrage Science award for School of Computing's Professor Sally Fincher". kent.ac.uk. University of Kent. Retrieved 28 May 2021.
- Anon (2018). "Maths and Computing 2018: Nomination Speeches". suffragescience.org.
- Anon (2010). "Outstanding Contribution to Computer Science Education". sigcse.org. SIGCSE. Archived from the original on 3 June 2021. Retrieved 28 May 2021.
- Fincher, Sally (2004). "Scaffolding Research". washington.edu. University of Washington. Archived from the original on 2 November 2004. Retrieved 28 May 2021.
- "Sally Fincher". kent.ac.uk. University of Kent. Retrieved 28 May 2021.
- Fincher, Sally (2012). "Sharing Practice Project". sharingpractice.ac.uk. Retrieved 28 May 2021.
- "Professor Sally A. Fincher". ithistory.org. IT History Society. 21 December 2015. Retrieved 28 May 2021.
- "HCI Pattern-Form Gallery". cs.kent.ac.uk. Retrieved 28 May 2021.
- "Patterns for HCI". cs.kent.ac.uk. Retrieved 28 May 2021.
- "Mary Kenneth Keller Computer Science & Engineering Undergraduate Teaching Award". IEEE Computer Society. Retrieved 28 May 2021.
- "Sally A. Fincher". computer.org. IEEE Computer Society. Retrieved 28 May 2021.
- Sally Fincher author profile page at the ACM Digital Library
- Sally Fincher; Marian Petre, eds. (26 September 2005). Computer Science Education Research. London: Taylor & Francis. doi:10.1201/9781482287325. ISBN 978-0-429-07888-0. OL 29509375M. Wikidata Q107020799.
- Fincher, Sally A.; Robins, Anthony V., eds. (2019). The Cambridge Handbook of Computing Education Research (PDF). Cambridge Handbooks in Psychology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. doi:10.1017/9781108654555. ISBN 978-1-108-49673-5. OCLC 1089758302. S2CID 243000064.
- Fincher, Sally (2005), "Programming Environments for Novices", Computer Science Education Research, Taylor & Francis, pp. 137–164, doi:10.1201/9781482287325-20, ISBN 978-0-429-07888-0
- Fincher, Sally (2011). Computer science project work : principles and pragmatics. ISBN 978-1-84996-865-2. OCLC 962836633.