|Directed by||Anil Radhakrishnan Menon|
|Produced by||Santosh Sivan
Chemban Vinod Jose
Lijo Jose Pellissery
|Music by||Rex Vijayan (songs)
Sushin Shyam (BGM)
|Edited by||Manoj Kannoth|
|Distributed by||August Cinema
Overseas Distribution by Singapore Coliseum, Achu & Achu's Creations and Binoy Antony
|Budget||₹5 crore (US$780,000)|
|Box office||₹19.57 crore (US$3.1 million)|
Sapthamashree Thaskaraha (English: Seven Good Thieves) is a 2014 Malayalam heist comedy film directed and written by Anil Radhakrishnan Menon. The film features an ensemble cast of Prithviraj Sukumaran, Asif Ali, Nedumudi Venu, Sudheer Karamana, Chemban Vinod Jose, Neeraj Madhav,Salam Bukhari, Reenu Mathews, Sanusha, Joy Mathew and Mongolian artist Flower Battsetseg. The film is produced by Prithviraj himself along with director Santosh Sivan and entrepreneur Shaji Nadesan under August Cinema. Sapthamashree Thaskaraha has cinematography by Jayesh Nair and music composed by Rex Vijayan. The film released on 6 September 2014 to positive reviews It led in the box office collections among the Onam releases and was deemed a blockbuster.
The film starts off with Martin (Chemban Vinod Jose) confessing to a priest (Lijo Jose Pellissery) in a church, explaining his past. Martin gets arrested for stealing money from a temple. He meets 6 other people who had been arrested in prison, Narayankutty (Neeraj Madhav), an electronic shop owner arrested for giving a hidden camera in a soap box to 2 people, who used them in a hotel; Nobilettan (Nedumudi Venu), a chit fund company owner cheated by Pious Matthew (Joy Mathew) and his younger brother, Christo, which cost his son's life ; Shabab (Asif Ali) who beats up his visa provider who had busted him in a jail at Dubai for 10 months; Vasu aka Leaf Vasu (Sudheer Karamana), the former right-hand man of Pious, after his weapon fell on his head he had a mental disorder ; Salam (Salam Bukhari), a circus performer ; and Krishnanunni (Prithviraj Sukumaran), a bank employee, whose wife Sarah (Reenu Mathews) was killed in a car accident after she was harassed by Pious, who had abused her after she got cheated. After they were released, the seven of them planned to steal money from a safe in the charity hospital where Pious and his brothers had kept their money.
After they were released, they sought the help of Annamma (Sanusha) for installing spy cameras which was made by Narayankutty in the charity hospital. After finding the exact location of the safe, Krishnanunni found out that the safe can be only unlocked with 3 keys through the safe blueprint, each of them with Pious, Christo, and Franko. For that, the gang planned of making a duplicate of those 3 keys by imprinting the key onto a soap piece. They found out that Christo had kept his key in a showpiece, Pious carrying the key put into a chain, and Franko who had it in his car.
After successfully distracting them and getting the key imprint, Krishnanunni planned to do the heist during a festival. That night, he told Leaf Vasu to put a bomb in the sewage tank of the charity hospital, which gave them access to the back of the hospital. He told Annamma to cut off the main supply so that they could get access to the room where the safe is, through the exhaust fan. After successfully getting to the room, they unlocked the safe. What they didn't know was the safe was connected to an alarm, which alerted the three of them. They chased the sewage trucks where they had put the money. But the three of them didn't get the money. The gang returned with the money.
The story comes back to the present, where Martin was explaining his story to the priest. He explained that the gang had searched for Krishnanunni, but they were surprised to see another person with the same name (Indrajith). After some days, each of them from the gang got a box with solar panels on the top. When they opened it, they found the money given as share by Krishnanunni for the heist, later crying in joy. Then it is revealed that the Krishnanunni who helped them in the heist was actually a con-man. Then he was shown working on a new heist disguised as a business man dealing solar panels. The character in the climax scene is well distinguished from the rest of the movie by the lack of Thrissur Malayalam accent.
- Prithviraj Sukumaran as Krishnanunni
- Asif Ali as Shabab
- Nedumudi Venu as Nobelettan
- Sudheer Karamana as Leaf Vasu
- Chemban Vinod Jose as Martin
- Neeraj Madhav as Narayankutty
- Salam Bukhari as Salam
- Sanusha as Annamma
- Reenu Mathews as Sarah
- Joy Mathew as Pious Mathew
- Mukundhan as Franco Mathew
- Irshad as Christo Mathew
- Anu Joseph as Nicey Mathew
- Lijo Jose Pellissery as The Priest sitting for Confession
- Shivaji Guruvayoor as Xavier
- Hareesh Perumanna as thief 2
- Pradeep as thief 1
- Sudhi Koppa as Gee Varghese
- Rema Devi as Sarah's mother
- Indrajith as Krishnanunni (Special appearance)
- Bhagi as bhagi chechi
- Veena as Chinnamma
- Shobha Singh as Rosey
- Gokulan as Lock Smith
- Lishoy as Superintendent
- Vijayan Peringod as Vydhyarettan
- Kavi Raj as Jada
- Koshi as Bdhiran
- Amith Chakkalakkall as Nobil's son
- Sudharaman as Christo's helper
- Francis as Franko's Helper
- Raj Kalesh as Circus Announcer
- Eswar Iyer as sara's father
- Rnjitha as Office Ldy
- Thanseer as Kapyar
- Balan Thrissur as Security officer
- Anil as Babu
- Ambili as Babu's wife
- Nimisha Thilakan as Channel reporter
- Lukman,Ashis as Hotel Boys
- Rjiv Rajan,Pravin,Ashiq Padinjattil,Sanooj,Akash as circus crowd
Nyla Usha was earlier roped in to play the female lead but due to certain date issues, she was replaced by Reenu Mathews, who was reported to "shed her simple housewife image" in this film. Anil had reworked on the script, due to which Sreenath Bhasi was replaced by Neeraj Madhav. A Mongolian circus artiste, Flower Battsetseg, was signed to play a pivotal role in the film. Sanusha stated that she played a nurse called Annamma in the film, which she was a bold and mature role, for which she would be sporting a no makeup look.
The songs of the film was composed by Rex Vijayan, who earlier composed the title track for North 24 Kaatham. The BGM of the film was composed by Sushin Shyam,who is part of The Down Troddence, a six piece thrash metal band. Sushin Shyam has worked with Rex Vijayan's previous projects.
|Soundtrack album by Rex Vijayan|
|Rex Vijayan chronology|
|1.||"Kayethum Doorathu"||Sushin Shyam||3:51|
|2.||"Naam Onnayi"||Engandiyoor Chandrasekharan||Saju Sreenivas||4:09|
|3.||"Sapthamashree Thaskaraha"||Suchith Suresan||4:52|
|4.||"Thaane Pookkum"||Job Kurian, Saptaparna Chakraborty||4:04|
The Times of India gave a rating of 3.5/5, and stated "This is one film that is not going to disappoint for there is an energy that is infectious." the film is considered as one of the blockbuster in the year 2014
- "Angry Babies In Love". Oneindia Entertainment. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- "Reenu Mathews will play Prithviraj's wife in Sapthama Sree Thaskaraha". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- "Reenu kicked about Prithviraj's next". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- "Mongolian circus artiste makes it to Mollywood". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- "Prithviraj to produce Sapthama Sree Thaskaraha". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- "Crooks of Honour". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- "'Sapthamashree Thaskaraha' Review Round up: Opens to Positive Reviews". International Business Times. 6 September 2014.
- "Mixed bag of fortunes for Mollywood in Onam season". The Hindu. 21 September 2014.
- "Sanusha goes de-glam in Sapthama Sree Thaskaraha". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- "Sapthamahsree thaskaraha movie review: Wallpaper, Story, Trailer at Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 October 2014.