Sarojini Mahishi (died 25 January 2015) was an Indian politician and translator who was best known for submitting the Dr. Sarojini Mahishi Report, which recommends that the major percentage of employment in Karnataka should be reserved to local people.
- Member of Rajya Sabha
- Vice Chairperson of Rajya Sabha (1982–84)
- 4 time member of Lok Sabha from Dharwad North constituency
- President of Sansadiya Hindi Parishad
- President of Delhi Karnataka Sangha
Sarojini Mahishi Report
The Ramakrishna Hegde government appointed her in 1983 to head the committee which recommended a certain percentage of jobs to Kannadigas in public sector undertakings, private companies and multinational companies. Pro Kannada lobby groups such as Karnataka Rakshana Vedike have been pressurising the implementation of Dr. Sarojini Mahishi Report in Karnataka 
The committee headed by Dr.Mahishi consisted four retired I.A.S. officers and the members of the committee were Prof. Gopala Krishna Adiga, G.K.Satya, G.Narayana Kumar, MLA, K.Prabhakara Reddy, B.S.Hanuman, IAS (Rtd.) and Dr. Siddayya Puranik, IAS (Rtd.)
Salient features of the Report
The committee was constituted in 1983, submitted interim report on 13.6.1984 and final report on 30.12.1986 and it made 58 recommendations. Of these recommendations, Government of Karnataka accepted 45 recommendations for implementation. Some of the recommendations are: 100 per cent reservation for Kannadigas in all State Government establishments and Public Sector units. 100 percent reservation for Kannadigas in group 'c' and group 'd' jobs in Central Government departments and PSUs operating in Karnataka. A Minimum of 80 percent and 65 reservation for Kannadigas for Group 'b' and Group 'a' jobs respectively, in Central Government units and PSUs operating in Karnataka. All Personnel officers in all industrial units in the state should invariably be a Kannadiga. Industries should appoint local people on priority.
The Sarojini Mahishi report has become a tool for local organisations to insist all jobs in Karnataka to locals and implementation of local language in the state. Government of Karnataka has established a separate department named "Kannada Abhivridhi Pradhikara" to oversee that the accepted recommendations of the report are implemented in Karnataka effectively.
- "Ex-Union Minister Sarojini Mahishi Passes Away". newindianexpress.com. 26 January 2015.
- "India Parliament". Guide2womenleaders.com. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "Members Of Lok Sabha". Parliamentofindia.nic.in. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "Karnataka / Bangalore News : Modification of Sarojini Mahishi report sought". The Hindu. 2009-07-08. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "Sarojini Mahishi Committee". Outlookindia.com. 1997-03-12. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- The Hindu Business Line: Pro-Kannada activists demand more jobs for locals in IT sector Archived 25 January 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- "`Rasta roko' hits vehicle movement". The Hindu. 2007-04-17. Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- "Sarojini Mahishi stands by committee report". The Hindu. 23 February 2006. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- "Govt Serious on Mahishi Report". The New Indian Express. 27 February 2012. Retrieved 7 August 2013.
- "Revise Sarojini Mahishi report, implement'". Deccan Herald. 6 June 2013. Retrieved 7 August 2013.
- Honour for Sarojini Mahishi, Hindu <http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-karnataka/article2314815.ece>
- Business Standard (2008-02-13). "Sarojini Mahishi to be conferred DLitt". Business-standard.com. Retrieved 2012-07-31.