Altschul in 2011
October 13, 1970 |
New York City, U.S.
|Education||Scripps College (did not graduate)|
|Occupation||News presenter, reporter|
|Parent(s)||Siri von Reis
Early life and education
Altschul was born in New York City, has four siblings, and is the daughter of author and botanist Siri von Reis and Arthur Altschul, a member of the Lehman banking family. Her mother is of half-Finnish and half-Swedish ancestry and her father is of Jewish ancestry. When her parents divorced, two-year-old Serena and two siblings were raised by their mother.
Altschul attended Scripps College for a couple of years, studying English literature, but did not graduate. While in college, she was the associate producer of 1993's The Last Party, a political documentary.
After school, she worked for two years at Channel One News, a channel seen nationwide in high schools, as an anchor/reporter. In 1987 she landed a job at MTV and in January 1996 she started working for MTV News. She also hosted shows such as MTV News: UNfiltered, Breaking it Down and hosted and produced True Life. From 2002 to 2003 Altschul worked at CNN. She hosted and produced a CNN special on the return of PCP. She continued working at MTV News while at CNN. On December 23, 2003, she was named a CBS News contributing correspondent. Since 2013 she appears on CBS Sunday Morning.
- Edward R. Murrow Award – Sports Reporting 2007
- "Mrs. Altschul Has Child (birth announcement)". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. 1970-10-25. p. 91.
- "A Move From 'Our Crowd' to Mass Media". The New York Times. 26 March 1998.
- New York Observer: "The Hard Sell" By Gabriel Sherman February 2, 2004
- CBS Sunday Morning: "Serena Altschul"
- Channel One Network: "Fast Facts"
- "Serena Altschul from MTV VJs, Then and Now".
- Orlando Sentinel: "MTV Newswoman has a Rich Background" March 31, 1998
- Hartford Courant: "MTV Without the Gloss" by James Endres March 29, 1998
- New York Observer: Power Punk: Serena Altschul" by Joe Hagan December 15, 2013