||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (December 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
October 13, 1970 |
New York City, U.S.
Finnish and Swedish mother
|Education||Scripps College (did not graduate)|
|Occupation||News presenter, reporter|
|Parent(s)||Siri von Reis
|Family||Stephen Altschul (brother)
Frank Altschul (grandfather)
Arthur Altschul (father)
Early life and education
Altschul was born in New York City, and is the daughter of author and botanist Siri von Reis and Arthur Altschul, a former partner at Goldman Sachs and member of the Lehman banking family. Her mother is of half-Finnish and half-Swedish ancestry and her father is of Jewish ancestry. When her parents divorced, two-year-old Serena and her two siblings were raised by their mother. Her brother, Arthur Altschul, Jr., is married to journalist Rula Jebreal and her sister, Emily Helen Altschul, is married to journalist John Miller. She also has two half-brothers, Charles Altschul and mathematician Stephen Altschul from her father's previous marriage. Altschul attended Scripps College for a couple of years, studying English literature, but did not graduate. While in college, she was the associate producer of 1993's The Last Party, a political documentary.
After school, she worked for two years at Channel One News, a channel seen nationwide in high schools, as an anchor/reporter. In 1995 she landed a job at MTV and in January 1996 she started working for MTV News. She also hosted shows such as MTV News: UNfiltered, Breaking it Down and hosted and produced True Life. From 2002 to 2003 Altschul worked at CNN. She hosted and produced a CNN special on the return of PCP. She continued working at MTV News while at CNN. On December 23, 2003, she was named a CBS News contributing correspondent. She now (2013) appears on CBS Sunday Morning.
- Edward R. Murrow Award - Sports Reporting 2007
- "Mrs. Altschul Has Child (birth announcement)". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. 1970-10-25. p. 91.
- Death notice of Arthur Goodhart Altschul
- New York Observer: "The Hard Sell" By Gabriel Sherman February 2, 2004
- New York Post: "Arthur Altschul, Jr. engaged to Rula Jebreal" May 2, 2013
- New York Times: "WEDDINGS/CELEBRATIONS; Emily Altschul, John Miller" November 24, 2002
- CBS Sunday Morning: "Serena Altschul"
- Channel One Network: "Fast Facts"