Rodri (footballer, born 1984)
Rodri in action for Spartak Moscow
|Full name||Sergio Rodríguez García|
|Date of birth||17 August 1984|
|Place of birth||Mataró, Spain|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|2006–2009||Deportivo La Coruña||2||(0)|
|2007||→ Almería (loan)||11||(0)|
|2007–2008||→ Poli Ejido (loan)||25||(0)|
|2008–2009||→ Marítimo (loan)||0||(0)|
|2009||→ Salamanca (loan)||17||(2)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 20 May 2018
Born in Mataró, Barcelona, Catalonia, Rodri was a product of FC Barcelona's youth system. He played only two La Liga games with the first team over the course of two seasons, his first being on 11 December 2004 in a 2–1 away win against Albacete Balompié (three minutes played), and Barça were eventually crowned back-to-back champions in his second year, although he was mainly registered with the B-side.
During the summer of 2006, Rodri was purchased by Galicia's Deportivo de La Coruña, making just six competitive appearances for the main squad in two seasons. In January 2007, he was loaned to second division club UD Almería, playing the entire 2007–08 campaign with Polideportivo Ejido, also in that tier and in Andalusia.
In September 2008, Rodri was again loaned by Depor, joining Portuguese Primeira Liga team C.S. Marítimo. However, not having been used during his brief spell, he returned to A Coruña, moving in January 2009 to another Spanish division two side, UD Salamanca.
In late July 2009, Rodri was released by Deportivo and stayed in the second tier, signing a 1+1 contract with Hércules CF. In his first year he experienced his best season as a professional, scoring four goals in 38 matches as the Alicante club returned to the top flight after a 13-year absence.
Rodri appeared in 13 games for Hércules in 2010–11, mainly due to injury or suspension to habitual starters Abraham Paz and Noé Pamarot. In March 2011, he moved to FC Spartak Moscow in Russia for €400,000, signing a one-year deal.
After his contract ended, Rodri left Spartak. On 31 August 2012, he returned to his homeland and joined Rayo Vallecano. After two years in the Belgian First Division B with K.A.S. Eupen, he resumed his career in the Spanish lower leagues.
- "Valdés y Xavi dan al Barcelona un premio exagerado" [Valdés and Xavi give too much of a prize to Barcelona]. El Mundo (in Spanish). 12 December 2004. Retrieved 15 September 2015.
- "Debe ser el número 23" [Must be number 23] (in Spanish). ESPN Deportes. 18 November 2006. Retrieved 15 September 2015.
- "Rodri jugará en el Poli Ejido lo que resta de temporada" [Rodri will play in Poli Ejido the rest of the season]. La Voz de Galicia (in Spanish). 29 August 2007. Retrieved 8 March 2018.
- "El Deportivo cede al defensa ´Rodri´ al Salamanca" [Deportivo loan defender ´Rodri´ to Salamanca]. La Opinión A Coruña (in Spanish). 14 January 2009. Retrieved 8 March 2018.
- "El Hércules hace oficial el fichaje de Rodri" [Hércules make signing of Rodri official]. Marca (in Spanish). 31 July 2009. Retrieved 8 March 2018.
- "Rodríguez deja líder al Hércules" [Rodríguez leaves Hércules as leader]. Diario AS (in Spanish). 2 January 2010. Retrieved 26 April 2011.
- "Empacho de goles y reparto de puntos en Vallecas" [Goal indigestion and points shared at Vallecas]. Marca (in Spanish). 17 January 2010. Retrieved 8 March 2018.
- "El Hércules no da síntomas de flaqueza" [Hércules show no signs of weakness]. Marca (in Spanish). 13 February 2010. Retrieved 8 March 2018.
- "El Hércules vuelve a Primera y condena al Real Unión" [Hércules return to Primera and condemn Real Unión]. Marca (in Spanish). 19 June 2010. Retrieved 8 March 2018.
- "«СПАРТАК» ЗАКЛЮЧИЛ КОНТРАКТ С СЕРХИО РОДРИГЕСОМ" [Spartak to sign contract with Sergio Rodríguez] (in Russian). Spartak Moscow. March 2011. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- "Rodri nuevo jugador del Rayo" [Rodri new Rayo player] (in Spanish). Rayo Vallecano. 31 August 2012. Archived from the original on 2 September 2012. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- "El exdeportivista Rodri jugará en el Llagostera" [Former deportivista Rodri will play in Llagostera] (in Spanish). El Desmarque. 2 July 2016. Retrieved 8 March 2018.
- "OFICIAL: L'Hospitalet, firma Rodri" [OFFICIAL: L'Hospitalet, Rodri signs] (in Spanish). Todo Mercado Web. 3 November 2017. Retrieved 7 January 2018.