|Genres||Heavy metal, Power metal, Hard rock|
|Years active||1999 - present|
|Labels||Limb Music, Rock Brigade, SPV, Melissa Records|
|Website||Shadowkeep's official website|
|Past members||Jim Daley
- 1 Biography
- 2 Members
- 3 Timeline
- 4 Discography
- 5 Trivia
- 6 References
- 7 External links
In October 1999, Shadowkeep recorded their debut six-track EP at Thin Ice Studios in Surrey, England, with Belgian vocalist Rogue Marechal (ex-Halcyon) fronting the band. The EP was produced by Threshold guitarist Karl Groom. A record deal with Limb Music followed in June 2000, and the band went on to release two albums on this label: Corruption Within (in September 2000) and A Chaos Theory (in 2002).
Concerts and festival appearances
Shadowkeep's live debut was on 17 December 1999 at the Camden Underworld in London, supporting the band Dirty Deeds. Support slots followed with the likes of Dio, Halford, Symphony X, Angel Witch, Dream Evil and Flotsam and Jetsam. These major shows led to appearances at festivals in the UK, USA, Greece, Germany and the Netherlands. Unfortunately a planned appearance at the Monterrey Metal Fest in Mexico in 2005 had to be cancelled when the band's drummer and singer quit at the eleventh hour.
Shadowkeep have undergone numerous significant line-up changes over the years. Mid-2012 saw the appearance of the band's tenth incarnation.
Jim Daley (who had previously played on Patricia Morrison's solo album Reflect On This) was the band's initial bass guitarist, but he was succeeded by Steve Scott (ex-Dragonheart), then by Steve 'SK' Kightley (ex-Spirit Of Rush) and Fredrik Englund, before the arrival of Texas-based Stony Grantham (ex-Terra Vast) in time for the Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles Festival in Cleveland in 2004. A short tour of Texas, with Ancient Cross in support, was arranged for May 2005, as a result of Grantham's involvement with the band.
At the band's inception, Allen and Robson's former Sire colleague Russell King was drafted in on drums, but he was later replaced by Dave Edwards (ex-Pete Wadeson Band), then by Scott Higham (ex-Angel Witch) and subsequently by Mauricio Chamucero. Divine Ruins' drummer, the late Mike Pittman, deputised for some US tour dates in 2003. Higham then briefly rejoined the band in early 2004, with New Zealander Lawrence Paterson replacing him for a short while later that same year. When Paterson also moved on (joining first Chokehold, then Blaze Bayley's band, Rogue Male, Iron Knights and Asomvel), Mike Pittman again helped out temporarily, until Scott Higham took his place for a third stint in the band. However, he departed once more, during the early recording sessions for the third Shadowkeep album, and joined Pendragon, with whom he was a bandmember until April 2014. Omar Hayes (ex-Orphic Soop, The Delta Sun and Epuldugger) became Shadowkeep's drummer in 2008; he joined the Guildford-based band Mikobi in late 2011, but also remained part of the Shadowkeep line-up until 2013. In February 2013, former bandmember Scott Higham rejoined on a temporary basis. He was succeeded by Tim Churchman, who had previously played alongside Steve Kightley in Spirit of Rush and The Forge, as well as with Dec Burke in Darwin's Radio, and with John Jowitt in Ark. On 4 December 2013, Churchman was announced to have joined the NWOBHM band Soldier. Omar Hayes then rejoined Shadowkeep for the recording of their fourth album.
Founding vocalist Rogue Marechal departed Shadowkeep in late 2002. He resurfaced for a one-off performance with the band Balance of Power at the 'Rock The Nations' festival in Istanbul on 6 August 2005. Together with ex-Shadowkeep bassist Steve Kightley and guitarist Chris Van Hayden (ex-Biomechanical), he then went on to form a new band called Chaosgenesis, adopting the name from a song on Shadowkeep's second album. His involvement in projects including Virtuocity, Prophecy and Poison Seed was to follow, before his return to Shadowkeep in 2012.
Initially, former Sire and Angel Witch bandmember Richie Wicks took up the vocalist's position, but within a few months he had left to concentrate fully on vocal duties with the Tygers of Pan Tang. His replacement was US vocalist Ronnie Stixx (ex-Terra Vast and Divine Ruins), with whom work began on a proposed third album, which would have different working titles at various stages in the process, including The Awakening, Ancient Prophecies and Beyond The Stratosphere. A two-track promotional CD featuring Stixx's vocals saw the light of day in 2005, but further recordings were abandoned when Stixx left Shadowkeep later that same year. He went on to front Wycked Synn, Vicious Rumors, Blood Red Skies and Project Terror. His vocals can be heard on the Divine Ruins album, Sign Of The Times (released by Lone Wolf Records in 2004), and on the Project Terror album, Absolute Power (released by Pure Steel Records in 2012).
In late 2005, Richie Wicks returned and officially became Shadowkeep's frontman, and work recommenced on the third album, which would now be entitled The Hourglass Effect. The album is a conceptual piece, based around a time in the not-too-distant future when the sun is prematurely dying, and positing the subsequent effects that this phenomenon might have on the Earth's population. The Hourglass Effect was eventually released on Dutch label Melissa Records in November 2008. At this point a reviewer from the UK's The Sun newspaper described the band as, "The new New Wave of British Heavy Metal."
Band history, 2008–2011
Richie Wicks departed the band in 2009. He went on to form a Dio-era Black Sabbath tribute band called Heavenly Hell, before joining covers band No Way Out on bass, in March 2011. His replacement was Matt Oakman (formerly of Structured Chaos and Born Of War), who made his live debut with Shadowkeep at The Pipeline venue in London on 6 February 2010.
Journalist Mark Fielden deputised for Stony Grantham on bass guitar during live shows on Shadowkeep's 'With Force We Come' UK tour in 2010. Grantham was obliged to remain in Austin, Texas at this time, due to ongoing commitments with other bands: Drifter (an Iron Maiden tribute band, with Erika Tandy on vocals) and Sad Wings (a Judas Priest tribute band, featuring vocalist Jason McMaster).
Shadowkeep were chosen to headline the third day of the Fyreball Festival at the Westcoast Bar in Margate on 4 September 2011, but this event was cancelled ahead of time when its promoter, Fyrelyte Events, ceased operations. No further live appearances were forthcoming from Shadowkeep during 2011.
Band history, 2012 onwards
In March 2012, former Shadowkeep members Richie Wicks and Mark Fielden joined forces with Keith Herzberg (ex-Angel Witch), Gary MacKenzie (ex-Praying Mantis), Andy Blackwell and Jason Rice to form a classic metal tribute band called Black, White & Purple.
In April 2012, Chris Allen and Nikki Robson travelled to San Antonio, Texas to meet up with Stony Grantham and to take part in a tribute concert for guitarist Rene Solis of the band Texas Trash, who died in January 2012. The gig took place on 7 April 2012, with the band Methuselah also on the bill.
In June 2012, Shadowkeep announced on their official Facebook page that original singer Rogue Marechal was to rejoin the band, and that work was to begin on the fourth Shadowkeep album. A reunion gig was also scheduled at this time, for the Wizzfest 2013 festival in Aalter, Belgium on 23 March 2013, which would be filmed for a DVD. On 16 July 2012, vocalist Matt Oakman officially departed Shadowkeep and joined the bands Dangerous Breed and Gridlock.
In February 2013, it was announced that Omar Hayes was no longer in the band's line-up, due to his unavailability for upcoming festival dates. Taking his place for consecutive gigs at the Chameleon Music Bar in Grantham on 16 March 2013 (with The More I See and NWOBHM band Overdrive) and at Wizzfest 2013 was former bandmember Scott Higham, although this proved to be a temporary arrangement. Bassist Jack Kirby and keyboard player Tim Hall (from Overdrive) also guested with the band at their Grantham gig.
Shadowkeep performed at the Q's Entertainment venue in Redhill, Surrey on 7 September 2013, at the Little Devil venue in Tilburg on 13 September 2013 with Blitzkrieg, and at the Swordbrothers XII festival in Andernach on 14 September 2013. Tim Churchman joined them on drums for this series of gigs. Omar Hayes rejoined the band later in the year.
Fourth studio album and live DVD
As of early 2014, the band were reportedly composing their fourth studio album, which was set to be recorded at Karl Groom's Thin Ice Studios in the latter part of the year, with its release provisionally scheduled for the early part of 2015. A live show (recorded in Belgium on 23 March 2013) was also being prepared for release on DVD during 2014.
- Rogue Marechal – vocals (1999–2002 / 2012–present)
- Chris Allen – guitar (1999–present)
- Nikki Robson – guitar (1999–present)
- Stony Grantham – bass guitar (2004–present)
- Omar Hayes – drums (2008–2012 / 2013–present)
- Jim Daley (1999–2000)
- Steve Scott (2001)
- Steve Kightley (2002)
- Fredrik Englund (2003)
- Mark Fielden (2009–2011, UK live substitute)
- Jack Kirby (2013, UK live substitute)
- Russell King (1999)
- Dave Edwards (2000)
- Scott Higham (2001–2002 / 2004 / 2005–2008 / 2013)
- Mauricio Chamucero (2003)
- Mike Pittman (d. 27 August 2007) † (2003 / 2005, US live substitute)
- Lawrence Paterson (2004–2005)
- Tim Churchman (2013)
- Scot Collins (2008–2011)
- Tim Hall (2013, UK live substitute)
- Shadowkeep (1999)
Appearances on compilation albums
- Dark Tower – track No. 1 on Metal Crusade Vol. 1 (CD compiled by Heavy Oder Was? magazine, 2000)
- Queen of the Reich – track No. 2 on Rebellion: A Tribute to Queensrÿche (Dwell Records, 2000)
- Believe - track No. 8 on Limb Promo CD Vol. 3 (Limb Music, 2002)
- Cast Out - track No. 22 on Louder Than the Dragon (Limb Music, 2004)
- Keep It True IV – live footage of Shadowkeep appears on the bonus disc of this DVD release (Steelpride Records, 2005)
- "Biography of Intense at www.musicmight.com". Musicmight.com. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- http://www.progressiveworld.net/shadowkeep4.html Review of Shadowkeep EP at www.progressiveworld.net, May 2003
- "''Interview with Rogue M., vocalist for the UK band Shadowkeep'' – Interview at www.metal-rules.com, July 2000". Metal-rules.com. 26 January 2001. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- Review of Corruption Within album at www.progressiveworld.net, September 2000[dead link]
- http://www.billboard.com/album/shadow-keep/corruption-within/448158#/album/shadowkeep/a-chaos-theory/560052/review Review of A Chaos Theory album at www.billboard.com, 2003
- http://www.lookatstubs.com/bands/ronnie_james_dio.htm Dio & Shadowkeep at Hof Ter Lo, Antwerp, Belgium on 3 May 2000 – Archived concert details at www.lookatstubs.com
- http://oliviercordina.over-blog.com/pages/Archive_1996_2010-28431.html Halford & Shadowkeep at Elysée Montmartre, Paris, France on 29 October 2000 – Archived concert details at Rock 'N' Tapas website
- http://www.rockersdigest.com/Article/21 Symphony X / Shadowkeep – Gig review from The Mean Fiddler in London, England at www.rockersdigest.com, 18 October 2003
- http://www.myspace.com/voiceoflucifer/photos/2452069#%7B%22ImageId%22%3A32084958%7D Angel Witch & Shadowkeep at The Cartoon venue in Croydon, England on 7 January 2000 – Concert photograph and details at www.myspace.com/voiceoflucifer
- http://www.rockersdigest.com/Article/5/Dream-Evil Dream Evil / Falconer / Shadowkeep – Gig review from Camden Underworld in London, England at www.rockersdigest.com, 27 September 2003
- http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?Mode=Search&searchtext=metalfest&PageNum=17 ...Confirmed for Texas Metalfest – News article at Blabbermouth.net, 9 June 2004
- http://www.bloodstock.uk.com/bands-profile.php?id=26 Profile of Shadowkeep at official website for Bloodstock Open Air festival in Derby, England, June 2001
- http://www.metal-reviews.com/tgos/bwbk2.htm Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles Festival (Concert Review) – Review of festival appearance in Cleveland, Ohio at Ultimate Metal website, 4 June 2004
- Holy Sword. "''Shadowkeep and Dream Weaver added to the line-up!'' – News article at Up The Hammers IV festival website, 26 October 2008". Up-the-hammers.gr. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- http://www.home-of-rock.de/Konzertberichte/Festivals/Balingen/Vorbericht_28_bis_29_06_2002.html News article at German website about Shadowkeep's appearance at Bang Your Head festival aftershow, 28 June 2002
- http://www.truemetalfan.org/kitIV.htm Review of Shadowkeep's appearance at Keep It True IV festival at www.truemetalfan.org, 1 April 2005
- http://users.telenet.be/denofiniquitybe/revmmm2008.htm Mario's Metal Meeting 2 Festival, 2008 – Concert review from Club 013 in Tilburg, the Netherlands at Den Of Iniquity website, 9 November 2008
- http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=33033 Warcry, Shadowkeep confirmed for Mexico's Monterrey Metal Fest – News article at Blabbermouth.net, 17 February 2005
- http://www.bravewords.com/news/28574 Shadowkeep issue apology for Monterrey cancellation; looking for a new singer – News article at Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles website, 5 June 2005
- "''Shadowkeep: Rising from the ashes'' – Interview with Nikki Robson, originally published in ''Headache'' magazine, February 2003". Truemetalfan.org. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- http://www.patriciamorrison.co.uk/Interview.htm Interview with Patricia Morrison by Allen Melrose, 2005
- "''2001: Shadowkeep introduce two new members, Steve Scott (bass) and Scott Higham (drums)'' – News article at www.rockforum1.net, 10 June 2009". Rockforum1.net. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- http://power-metal-music.site11.com/biography/shadowkeep/ Biography of Shadowkeep at Power Metal Music website
- http://www.bravewords.com/news/13350 Shadowkeep – A Singer's Divine Ruins – News article at Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles website, 7 May 2004
- http://www.bravewords.com/news/19746 Shadowkeep seek video footage, photos... – News article at Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles website, 8 November 2004
- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=226235 Ancient Cross... chosen to support the 2005 Shadowkeep Texas tour – Shadowkeep & Ancient Cross 2005 tour details at SoundClick website, 9 September 2009
- "''Shadowkeep awaken'' – Shadowkeep's 2005 touring schedule on www.intense-uk.com, 15 February 2005". Ultimatemetal.com. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "''Shadowkeep seek new drummer'' – News article at Blabbermouth.net, 20 March 2003". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "''Shadowkeep unveil new line-up'' – News article at www.metaluk.com, 19 July 2003". Metaluk.com. 19 July 2003. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- http://blogs.myspace.com/hellstrumstreetteam Biography of Mike Pittman at Hellstrum's MySpace blog, 17 September 2007
- "''Shadowkeep have begun recording for their third full-length album...'' – News article at www.mariosmetalmania.com, 16 May 2004". Mariosmetalmania.com. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "''Shadowkeep lose drummer, gain festival'' – News article at www.metaluk.com, 2 November 2004". Metaluk.com. 2 November 2004. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "Chokehold's entry in Encyclopedia Metallum, 20 February 2006". Metal-archives.com. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- Shadowkeep: Drummer leaves the band, no replacement yet – News item at Thoughts Of Metal website, 29 April 2005[dead link]
- "''Shadowkeep announce new members'' – News article at www.tartareandesire.com, 20 October 2005". Tartareandesire.com. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- http://www.silhobbit.com/mambo/content/view/82/101/ Pendragon announce new drummer – News article at Silhobbit website, 20 March 2008
- http://www.myspace.com/deltasun The Delta Sun at MySpace, 31 July 2005
- http://www.guilfest.co.uk/2005/html/about-the-bands-epuldugger.htm Biography of Epuldugger at GuilFest 2006 website, 16 July 2005
- https://www.facebook.com/mikobi.music?sk=info Mikobi - official Facebook website, 19 December 2011
- https://www.facebook.com/soldiernwobhm Official Facebook page for Soldier (band), 4 December 2013
- http://www.rockdetector.com/artist/uk/balance+of+power Biography of Balance of Power at www.musicmight.com
- "''Former Shadowkeep singer resurfaces in Chaosgenesis'' – News article at Blabbermouth.net, 25 April 2007". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- https://soundcloud.com/roguemvox Rogue Marechal - audio archive on SoundCloud, May 2012
- "Interview with Chris Allen at Metal To Infinity website, 26 November 2008". Metaltoinfinity.00freehost.com. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- http://www.knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=1402&StartTime=9%2F25%2F2002+5%3A01%3A54+PM Shadowkeep has been joined by Richie Wicks... – News article on www.KNAC.com, 10 October 2002
- http://www.metalcrypt.com/pages/interviews.php?intid=34 Interview with Robb Weir (guitar), Craig Ellis (drums) and Richie Wicks (vocals) of the Tygers of Pan Tang at www.metalcrypt.com, 21 November 2002
- "Biography of Divine Ruins at www.progarchives.com, 12 December 2009". Progarchives.com. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "''Shadowkeep, who are at work writing their next album...'' – News article at www.mariosmetalmania.com, 23 January 2004". Mariosmetalmania.com. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- http://www.bravewords.com/news/19510 Shadowkeep line-up finally complete – News article at Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles website, 2 November 2004
- http://www.mariosmetalmania.com/CDDVDreviews2005.html#S Review of The Awakening promotional CD at www.mariosmetalmania.com, April 2005
- http://www.bravewords.com/news/28636 Ronnie Stixx explains departure from Shadowkeep – News article at Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles website, 6 June 2005
- "''Wycked Synn: Former Shadowkeep singer joins the fold'' – News article at Blabbermouth.net, 18 November 2005". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=102916 Vicious Rumors to tour Europe in the fall – News article at Blabbermouth.net, 15 August 2008
- http://www.myspace.com/bloodredskiespowermetal Blood Red Skies at MySpace, 19 August 2006
- http://www.bravewords.com/news/186639 Ronnie Stixx's Blood Red Skies change name to Project Terror - News article at Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles website, 9 July 2012
- http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Divine_Ruins/Sign_of_the_Times/50499 Divine Ruins - Sign Of The Times album details at Encyclopaedia Metallum website, 18 May 2004
- http://www.puresteel-records.com/news/view/571/Ronnie_Stixx_BLOOD_REDSKIES_haben_Namen_zu_PROJECT_TERROR_geaendert Project Terror - Absolute Power album details at Pure Steel Records official website, 22 July 2012
- http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=18818 Shadowkeep frontman laying down vocals for new CD – News article at www.metalunderground.com, 14 August 2006
- http://www.metal-temple.com/site/catalogues/entry/musicians/richie_wicks.htm?root=14&keep_theme=Metal_Temple_com Interview with Richie Wicks from Shadowkeep at www.metal-temple.com, 21 November 2008
- http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=389581&mpage=6 Shadowkeep updates – News article at Empire online forum, 25 May 2006
- "''Shadowkeep signs with Melissa Records'' – News article at www.metalunderground.com, 14 September 2008". Metalunderground.com. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_8176/is_20100204/ai_n51813441/ Come on and feel the noise... – News article in the Sevenoaks Chronicle newspaper about Richie Wicks & Heavenly Hell, 4 February 2010
- "No Way Out official website post, 5 March 2011". Nowayout.co.uk. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=139077019&blogId=520916398 Welcome aboard SK, new vocalist Matt Oakman – Shadowkeep press release, 4 December 2009
- Live Bands: Raising Sand and Shadowkeep – Gig details at The Pipeline venue's official website, 6 February 2010[dead link]
- "Tainted Grace's entry in Encyclopedia Metallum, 28 February 2009". Metal-archives.com. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- http://www.famemusic.com/Duplex_Gage Biography of Duplex Gage at Fame Music website, 11 November 2011
- http://www.myspace.com/drifterlive Drifter at MySpace, 4 September 2005
- http://www.myspace.com/sadwingstexas Sad Wings at MySpace, 10 April 2006
- http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=f3012eefe7b865073ff7783f24ab3c58&showtopic=78082 Shadowkeep & Pythia gig details and promotional flyer at www.basschat.co.uk, 1 May 2010
- http://www.myspace.com/bridgefest2010/blog Official MySpace page for Bridgefest 2010
- "Fyreball Festival details at www.allgigs.co.uk, 4 September 2011". Allgigs.co.uk. 4 September 2011. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- https://www.facebook.com/people/Fyrelyte-E-Vents/100001098793813?sk=wall#! Fyrelyte Events is no longer operating... No more gigs are being booked. – Message posted on Fyrelyte Events's official Facebook page, July 2011
- https://www.facebook.com/BlackWhitePurple Official Facebook page for Black, White & Purple, 23 March 2012
- https://www.facebook.com/events/331170583597746 Texas Trash live at Hot Shots - Concert details on Texas Trash's official Facebook page, March 2012
- http://www.drummerszone.com/news/newsItem.php?type=1&n01ID=5166 In memoriam: Michael Pittman (1962–2007) – Obituary for Mike Pittman at www.drummerszone.com, 29 August 2007
- http://www.billboard.com/album/shadow-keep/corruption-within/448158#/album/shadow-keep/corruption-within/448158/review All Music Guide entry for Corruption Within album, quoted at www.billboard.com, 2004
- http://www.dprp.net/reviews/200344.html#shadowkeep Review of A Chaos Theory album at Dutch Progressive Rock Pages website, 2003
- http://www.metalrage.com/reviews/2453/shadowkeep-the-hourglass-effect.html Review of The Hourglass Effect album at www.metalrage.com, 16 November 2008
- http://www.proggnosis.com/PGRelease.asp?RID=8249 Entry for Shadowkeep EP at www.proggnosis.com online database, 1999
- http://www.melissarecords.com Biography of Shadowkeep at the official Melissa Records website
- http://www.speed-n-power.com/disk.php?did=737 Limb Promo Cd Vol. 3 - compilation album details at Fast Metal Pages, 30 January 2012
- http://www.speed-n-power.com/disk.php?did=3495 Louder Than the Dragon - compilation album details at Fast Metal Pages, 30 January 2012
- http://www.metalcrypt.com/pages/review.php?revid=2699 Review of Keep It True IV DVD at www.metalcrypt.com, 25 July 2006
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3AzHDZxbdw Cryptic Wintermoon - The Coming Storm album on YouTube, 2003
- Official site on Facebook
- Shadowkeep at MusicMight
- Shadowkeep's entry in Encyclopedia Metallum
- Shadowkeep's entry in Librarius Metallicus
- Shadowkeep's entry in Spirit of Metal online database