Sherlock James Andrews
|Sherlock James Andrews|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Ohio's 15th district
March 4, 1841 – March 3, 1843
|Preceded by||John William Allen|
|Succeeded by||Joseph Morris|
|Born||November 17, 1801|
|Died||February 11, 1880 (aged 78)|
Sherlock James Andrews (November 17, 1801 – February 11, 1880) lawyer and congressman.
He was born in Wallingford, Connecticut to Dr. John Andrews and Abigail Atwater.
He graduated from Union College, Schenectady, New York, in 1821 and studied law at Yale. He married Ursula McCurdy Allen on December 1, 1828 and settled in Cleveland, Ohio. He was an intricate part of the early development of Cleveland as the first president of the city council and the public library board. He advocated for and promoted the building of the Cleveland & Pittsburgh Railway. In 1840 he was elected to the Twenty-seventh Congress on the Whig platform. In 1842 health issues compelled him not to seek nomination for a second term. He was appointed Judge of the superior court of Cleveland which he served from 1848 to 1850. Lost election in 1851 to the Ohio Supreme Court. He was a delegate in the Ohio constitutional convention from 1850-1851. In 1859 at Wellington, Ohio he was one of the attorneys defending the men who rescued John Price from "slave catchers". His political career ended serving as a delegate on the constitutional convention of 1873.
He was United States Attorney for the Northern District of Ohio in 1867.
- Bell, William, Jr. (1876). Annual report of the Secretary of State to the Governor and General Assembly for the year 1875... Ohio Secretary of State. p. 115.
- "U.S. Attorney, Northern District of Ohio". United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. Archived from the original on 2009-05-13. Retrieved 2012-01-19.
- "Andrews, Sherlock James." Dictionary of American Biography. Vol. 1, Charles Scribner's Sons. 1928.
- Wilson, James Grant; Fiske, John, eds. (1900). "Andrews, Sherlock James". Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography. New York: D. Appleton.
- United States Congress. "Sherlock James Andrews (id: A000249)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
|U.S. House of Representatives|
John W. Allen
| United States Representative from Ohio's 15th congressional district