Endemol Shine Group
|Founded||January 1, 2015|
|Sophie Turner Laing (CEO)|
|Owner||21st Century Fox (50%)
Apollo Global Management (50%)
Endemol Shine Group (formerly Shine Group) is a group of Dutch production companies of scripted and non-scripted television, responsible for programmes such as MasterChef and The Biggest Loser. It was founded in 2001 by Elisabeth Murdoch.
Endemol Shine Group companies include UK-based Dragonfly, Kudos, and Princess Productions. It also includes Shine TV, plus Metronome Film & Television, a Scandinavian-based production group. Shine International is the group’s international distribution arm and is responsible for the distribution of the various formats of the group. The group has also established international companies Shine America, Shine Australia, Shine Germany, Shine France, and most recently Shine Iberia.
Shine acquired Reveille Productions in 2008. News Corporation (now 21st Century Fox) acquired Shine Group on April 5, 2011 for $415 million. US pension funds who are shareholders in News Corporation are suing the company accusing the Mr. Murdoch of nepotism.
On May 15, 2014, Apollo and 21st Century Fox announced a joint venture to combine 21st Century Fox's Shine Group and Apollo's Endemol and CORE Media Group. The transaction was completed on December 17, 2014. Both Apollo and 21st Century Fox owning 50% of the joint venture called, "Endemol Shine Group" that took place on January 1, 2015.
Shine Limited (Shine TV) is a British media production company with offices in London and Manchester, and is part of Shine Group. Shine Limited was founded in March 2001 by Elisabeth Murdoch, daughter of News Corporation CEO Rupert Murdoch. The company was 80 percent owned by Elisabeth Murdoch, 15 percent by Lord Alli, and 5 percent by BSkyB, who signed a deal guaranteeing to buy an agreed amount of Shine programming for two years.
Shine International is the sales and distribution branch of the group. It handles the licensing and international distribution of television formats from Shine Limited to around 150 countries worldwide
- Shine Digital – The digital media division
- Shine Pictures – is the feature film division.
- Shine 360° – Shine 360° is the division which handles commercialisation of properties belonging to the group.
- Shine America
- Shine Australia
- Shine France
- Shine Germany
- Shine Iberia
- Endemol Shine Middle East
- Dragonfly Film and Television
- Kudos Film and Television
- Lovely Day
- Princess Productions
- Digital and Gaming
- Bossa Studios – In 2011, Shine Group acquired the social gaming company.
- ChannelFlip – a creator of short form online video programming in the UK. Founded in 2008 by Justin Gayner and Wil Harris..
- Brown Eyed Boy – set up by former BBC and Chrysalis Entertainment executive Gary Reich in 2002.
- Good Catch
Metronome Film & Television
- Meter Film and Television AB
- Stockholm-Köpenhamn AB
- Metronome Productions A/S
- Metronome Film and Television Oy
- Metronome Spartacus AS
- Metronome LLC (US)
- Rubicon TV AS
- Metrix Interactive AB
- Filmlance International AB
- Editing and facilities
- Studios Mekaniken AB
- Studios A/S
- Studios AS
- IP creation and distribution
- Friday TV AB
- Schulmangruppen (50%)
- Metronome Digital Media AB
- News Corp Completes Deal To Buy Shine Group The Hollywood Deadline
- "Murdoch deal for Shine faces shareholder writ". BBC News. 17 March 2011. Retrieved 12 December 2016.
- Rushton, Katherine. "Shine acquires Metronome for £60m". Retrieved 12 December 2016.