Endemol Shine Group
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Founded||1 January 2015|
|Defunct||3 July 2020|
|Fate||Acquired by and merged with Banijay; brand retained on production divisions|
|Sophie Turner Laing (CEO)|
Number of employees
|Divisions||Full list of Divisions|
|Subsidiaries||Endemol Shine North America|
Endemol Shine UK
Endemol Shine Australia
Endemol Shine Italy
Endemol Shine India
Endemol Shine Germany
Endemol Shine France
Endemol Shine Iberia
Endemol Shine International
|Website||endemolshinegroup.com (archived, now redirects to Banijay.com)|
Endemol Shine Group B.V. (stylized in all spaceless) was a Dutch production and distribution company of scripted and non-scripted content, responsible for programmes such as Big Brother, Deal or No Deal, The Money Drop, Fear Factor, MasterChef, Your Face Sounds Familiar, Peaky Blinders, Black Mirror, Humans, Grantchester and Tin Star.
In 2018, Endemol Shine Group had 700 productions on air across 270 platforms and channels. K7 Media report's Tracking the Giants: Top 100 Travelling TV Formats 2018-19 also recognized Endemol Shine Group as the production and distribution company with the most travelled formats in 2018.
Formed in 2015 through a merger of Dutch television studio Endemol and Elisabeth Murdoch's UK-based studio Shine Group, Endemol Shine Group companies included Dragonfly, Kudos, and Princess Productions. It also included Shine TV which was founded in 2001 by Elisabeth Murdoch; and Metronome Film & Television, a Scandinavian-based production group. EndemolShine International was the group's international distribution arm responsible for the distribution of the various formats of the group. The group also established international companies Endemol Shine North America, Endemol Shine Australia, Endemol Shine India, Endemol Shine Germany, Endemol Shine France, and Endemol Shine Iberia.
From 20 March 2019 to 3 July 2020, it was jointly owned by The Walt Disney Company and Apollo Global Management, with each holding a 50% share. On 22 October 2019, French company Banijay announced its intent to acquire Endemol Shine from Disney and Apollo. On 30 June 2020, the European Commission approved Banijay's purchase of Endemol Shine. The purchase was completed on 3 July 2020.
Merger of Endemol, Shine Group, CORE Media Group
On 15 May 2014, Apollo Global Management and 21st Century Fox confirmed its intent to form a joint venture with funds managed by affiliates of Apollo, Endemol, Shine Group and CORE Media Group. Under the agreement, 21st Century Fox and the funds managed by affiliates of Apollo would jointly own and manage the new joint venture.
On 10 October 2014, 21st Century Fox and funds managed by affiliates of Apollo announced a final agreement to create the group consists of Endemol, Shine Group and CORE Media. Under the terms of the agreement, 21st Century Fox and Apollo will jointly manage the newly created group, with each owning 50 per cent. Sophie Turner Laing, former Managing Director of Content at BSkyB, would serve as the group's CEO.
On 27 October 2014, Shine Group announced Tim Hincks would become the president of the new joint venture.
On 17 December 2014, 21st Century Fox and funds managed by affiliates of Apollo Global Management, LLC announced the completion of the transaction to create the group consists of Endemol, Shine Group and CORE Media, under the previously announced terms. The joint venture name 'Endemol Shine Group' was announced by Shine Group on the same day. Both Apollo and 21st Century Fox owning 50% of the joint venture that took place on 1 January 2015.
On 15 January 2015, Endemol Shine Group announced appointing former Endemol UK CEO Lucas Church to be Chairman of Endemol Shine UK, former Endemol UK Chief Operating Officer Richard Johnston becoming CEO of Endemol Shine UK.
In succeeding years, Endemol's eye and Shine Group's egg logos were replaced with Endemol Shine Group wordmark-only logo in closing credits of most of its-licensed shows, effectively making Endemol and Shine an in-name-only units of that company.
Endemol specialised in formatted programming that can be adapted for different countries around the world as well as different media platforms. One notable success has been the Big Brother reality television show, with versions in many countries after the initial Dutch version. Other examples include Deal or No Deal (sold to over 75 countries), The Money Drop (sold in over 50 countries), Fear Factor (sold in 30 countries) and Wipeout (sold in over 35 countries). In recent years the company has also been expanding its English language drama output with shows such as titles such as The Fall, Peaky Blinders, Ripper Street and Black Mirror in the UK and Hell on Wheels in the USA. In November 2013 the company launched Endemol Beyond, an international division specialising in original content for digital video platforms such as YouTube.
Sale to Banijay
In April 2018, Fox and Apollo appointed Deutsche Bank and Aryeh Bourkoff's LionTree to handle a potential sale of Endemol Shine, following Fox's sale to The Walt Disney Company. William Morris Endeavor and Banijay had eyed an acquisition of Endemol Shine, with Banijay reported to have even entered advanced talks to buy the studio.
On 29 August 2018, the RTL Group (which owns Fremantle) withdrew its bid for Endemol Shine. In September 2018, BBC Studios, along with Discovery, Inc. and Liberty Global (which each own 50% of All3Media) announced that they would not bid on the studio. ITV plc provisionally placed a bid on the studio but did not confirm an official bid as the sale is still only a potential scenario at this point. In October 2018, ITV plc withdrew from the auction. Sony Pictures Entertainment, DHX Media (now WildBrain) and Lionsgate also ruled out of the bidding. ProSiebenSat.1 Media (which owns Red Arrow Studios) was reported to be considered for a joint bid with Banijay, but the latter ruled itself out as well.
Endemol Shine later made a statement that they had been in negotiations with several parties and were confident they would have an owner by end of November 2018. However, on 6 November 2018 it was reported that both Fox and Apollo have decided to suspend the selling process as a deal could not be reached by prospective buyers. In the meantime, Fox's 50% stake in the company was given to Disney. The report was published hours before European Commission's clearance of Disney's impending purchase of Fox on certain conditions.
On 22 October 2019, Banijay officially announced its intent to acquire Endemol Shine from Disney and Apollo for over $2.2 billion. On 26 October 2019, Banijay announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire 100% of the equity of Endemol Shine Group. The merger was approved on 26 October 2019, pending antitrust approval.
On 30 June 2020, the European Commission approved Banijay's purchase of Endemol Shine. The purchase was completed three days later, and Endemol Shine was folded into Banijay. For a year, Banijay continued to use the Endemol Shine brand for many of its production divisions.
In November 2021, it was announced that Endemol Shine will be moving into podcasting for the first time with a partnership with KT Studios with the aim of developing and co-producing original podcasts.
Are the following
- Kuarzo Entertainment
- Endemol Shine Brasil
- Endemol Shine North America
- Endemol Shine UK
- Artists Studio TV Ltd
- Bandit Television
- Cut & Mustard
- Douglas Road Productions Limited
- Dragonfly Film and Television Productions Limited
- Darlow Smithson Productions Ltd
- Electric Robin
- Endemol Shine Gaming
- Fifty Fathoms
- House of Tomorrow
- Kudos: Carryover company from Shine Group.
- Kudos North
- Vexed Pixie
- OP Talent
- Remarkable Television
- Sharp Jack TV
- Shine TV
- Shiny Button Productions
- Sidney Street
- Silent Boom
- Simon's Cat Ltd.
- Tiger Aspect Productions
- Tiger Aspect Drama
- Tiger Aspect Kids and Family
- Tiger Aspect Comedy
- Tigress Productions
- Wild Mercury Productions
- Workerbee: Carryover company from Shine Group as Shine North. In 2018-11-07, Endemol Shine UK announced renaming Endemol Shine North to Workerbee.
- Zeppotron: Formed in 2000 from a core of the writing and production team behind The 11 O'Clock Show.
- Definitely: In 2018-09-25, Zeppotron announced the launch of its new label, Definitely.
- Endemol Shine Nordics: Carryover company from Shine Group as Shine Nordics AB. The company was formed in 2015 and incorporated and Group companies in Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland including Meter Television, STO-CPH Produktion, Filmlance International, Friday TV, Mag5 Content, Rubicon TV, Metronome Spartacus, Metronome Productions, Endemol Sweden and Shine Finland.
- Metronome Productions A/S (Denmark)
- Endemol Shine Finland
- Metronome Spartacus AB (Norway)
- Rubicon TV AS Archived 17 April 2019 at the Wayback Machine (Norway)
- Filmlance International AB (Sweden)
- Meter Television AB (Sweden)
- Mag5 Content AB (Sweden): Carryover company from Shine Group.
- Metronome Post AB (Sweden): Carryover company from Shine Group.
- STO-CPH Produktion AB (Sweden): Carryover company from Shine Group.
- Endemol Shine Beyond: Carryover company from Endemol as Endemol Beyond. In 2016-04-01, Endemol Shine Beyond announced its renaming to Endemol Shine Beyond.
- Endemol Shine France: Carryover company from Shine Group as Shine France.
- Endemol Shine Germany: Carryover company from Shine Group as Shine Germany.
- MadeFor Film: In 2020-02-25, Endemol Shine Group announced Endemol Shine Germany's new scripted label MadeFor Film.Manori Ravindran (20 February 2020). "Endemol Shine Sets Up German Scripted Label Ahead of Banijay Acquisition". Variety. Retrieved 28 February 2020.</ref>
- Endemol Shine Italy
- Endemol Shine Nederland
- Endemol Shine Poland (Endemol Shine Polska Sp. z o.o.)
- Endemol Shine Iberia: Carryover company from Shine Group as Shine Iberia. In 2015-03-12, Endemol Shine Group announced the launch of Endemol Shine Iberia.
- B&B Endemol Shine (Switzerland)
- Endemol Shine Israel
- Endemol Shine Australia: Carryover company from Shine Group as Shine Australia.
- Endemol Shine India
- WeiT Media (Russia)
- Endemol Shine Asia
- Reshet (33%)
- Endemol Shine International: The sales and distribution branch of the group. It handles the licensing and international distribution of television formats from Endemol Shine to around 150 countries worldwide.
Digital and Gaming
- ChannelFlip: Carryover company from Shine Group.
- The Multiverse
- Good Catch (United Kingdom)
- Clarke, Stewart (26 October 2019). "Banijay Seals Deal for Endemol Shine, Paving Way for Huge New Global Player". Variety.
- Kanter, Jake (3 July 2020). "Sophie Turner Laing To Leave Endemol Shine Group As Banijay Group Completes $2.2BN Takeover". Deadline Hollywood.
- Ling, Koh Jia (4 March 2014). "Endemol's "Your Face Sounds Familiar" to make Middle East debut". Television Asia. Television Asia. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- McCarthy, John. "ITV 'no interest' in bidding for Big Brother and Peaky Blinders studio Endemol Shine Group". thedrum.com. 1 February 2019.
- White, Peter (16 September 2018). "ITV Officially Enters Bidding For 'Black Mirror' & 'Big Brother' Producer Endemol Shine – Report". Deadline. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- Frater, Patrick (3 August 2015). "AMC Global Acquires 'Humans' From Endemol Shine". variety.com. Variety. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- Clarke, Stewart (21 July 2017). "Amazon Nabs U.S. Streaming Rights for Tim Roth, Christina Hendricks Series 'Tin Star'". Variety. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- "Tracking the Giants 2018/2019" (PDF). MailChimp. K7 Media. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- "Endemol Shine Distribution". Endemol Shine Distribution.
- "Banijay Group's $2.2BN Endemol Shine Group Takeover Approved By European Commission". Deadline Hollywood. 1 July 2020.
- "Statement from 21st Century Fox Regarding Intention to Form Joint Venture with Funds Managed by Affiliates of Apollo Global Management Comprised of Endemol, Shine Group and Core Media Group – 21st Century Fox". 1 August 2018. Archived from the original on 1 August 2018.
- "21st Century Fox and Apollo Announce Agreement to Create a Leading Global Multi-platform Content Provider, Bringing Together Endemol, Shine Group and Core Media – 21st Century Fox". 1 August 2018. Archived from the original on 1 August 2018.
- Tim Hincks to Serve as President of the New Joint Venture Comprised of Endemol, Shine Group and CORE Media
- North America Leadership Team Announced for the New Joint Venture Comprised of Endemol, Shine Group and CORE Media
- "Endemol - North America Leadership Team Announced for the New Joint Venture Comprised of Endemol, Shine Group and CORE Media". 9 March 2015. Archived from the original on 9 March 2015.
- "21st Century Fox and Funds Managed by Apollo Complete Transaction to Create a Leading Global Multi-platform Content Provider, Bringing Together Endemol, Shine Group and Core Media". 21st Century Fox. 1 August 2018. Archived from the original on 1 August 2018.
- New Joint Venture ‘Endemol Shine Group’ Launches
- Team, The Deadline (5 April 2011). "News Corp Completes Deal To Buy Shine Group".
- "Endemol - Endemol Shine Group Announces Further Senior Appointments". 9 March 2015. Archived from the original on 9 March 2015.
- "Endemol Entertainment Holding NV". www.referenceforbusiness.com. Retrieved 7 February 2018.
- Sherman, Alex (19 June 2018). "The TV company behind 'Black Mirror,' part-owned by Fox, has hired banks for a sale that could fetch up to $4 billion". CNBC.
- Clarke, Stewart; Chu, Henry (19 September 2018). "Endeavor Eyes Possible Bid for Endemol Shine".
- "Indie Giants Circle Endemol Shine as Bidding Heats Up". The Hollywood Reporter. 7 July 2018. Retrieved 28 February 2022.
- Keslassy, Elsa (4 October 2018). "Banijay in Advanced Talks to Acquire Endemol Shine".
- "UPDATE 1-Broadcaster RTL walks away from Endemol; to focus on..." Reuters. 29 August 2018.
- White, Peter (13 September 2018). "BBC Studios Rules Out Bid For 'MasterChef' & 'Black Mirror' Producer Endemol Shine".
- "Virgin Media owner backs out of Endemol deal". Independent.ie.
- White, Peter (16 September 2018). "ITV Officially Enters Bidding For 'Black Mirror' & 'Big Brother' Producer Endemol Shine – Report".
- Clarke, Stewart; Chu, Henry (3 October 2018). "ITV Rules Out Bid for Endemol Shine".
- Clarke, Stewart; Littleton, Cynthia (18 October 2018). "Endemol Shine Sale Options Narrow With ITV Withdrawal, Industry Shifts".
- "Exclusive: Banijay eyes joint bid for Endemol". TBI Vision. 11 October 2018.
- Chu, Henry (18 September 2018). "Endemol Shine Sale to Be Completed Within Weeks, Top Exec Says". Variety.
- Clarke, Stewart (6 November 2018). "Endemol Shine Sale Called Off (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety.
- Roxborough, Scott (6 November 2018). "Disney's Fox Deal Gets European Union Clearance Subject to Divestments". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Clarke, Stewart (22 October 2019). "Banijay Close to Securing $2.2 Billion Deal for Endemol Shine". Variety.
- "Banijay Group to Acquire Endemol Shine Group | Endemol Shine Group". 26 October 2019. Archived from the original on 26 October 2019.
- Kanter, Jake (10 February 2020). "Banijay Group Raises $2.6B In Refinancing For Endemol Shine Group Takeover".
- White, Peter (3 November 2021). "Endemol Shine North America Moves Into Podcasting Via Deal With 'The Piketon Massacre' Producer KT Studios".
- "Home". Banijay Group - We are Banijay.
- de la Fuente, Anna Marie (17 October 2017). "Mipcom: Endemol Shine Latino Co-produces Drama Series on Latin Boy Band, Menudo". Variety. Retrieved 21 December 2018.
- "Endemol Shine UK Labels". Endemol Shine UK.
- Slatterly, Laura (8 January 2015). "Not a Corker Yet: Schedule Challenges for UTV Ireland". The Irish Times. Archived from the original on 7 March 2016 – via Highbeam Research.
- "Endemol Shine North to rebrand as Workerbee". endemolshineuk.com. 7 November 2018. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- "About Us I Zeppotron".
- "Zeppotron Launches New Production Label Definitely". Endemol Shine UK. Retrieved 10 May 2010.
- "EndemolShine Nordics". EndemolShine Group.
- New Endemol Shine Nordics Roles Announced
- "Endemol Shine Finland moves into scripted with Dionysos Films alum". TBI Vision. 4 October 2019.
- "Unsere Tochterfirmen under Joint Ventures". Endemol Shine Germany. Archived from the original on 28 March 2019. Retrieved 10 May 2019.
- "Endemol Shine Group unveils new scripted label in Germany". Endemol Shine Group. 25 February 2020.
- "Endemol Shine Iberia Companies". Endemol Shine Iberia. Archived from the original on 25 December 2017.
- Endemol Shine Group Launches New Creative and Production Hub in Iberia
- "Producer Imogen Banks signs new deal at Endemol Shine". TV Tonight. 24 February 2016.
- "О компании | WeiT Media". weitmedia.com.