As its name suggests, it is Galway's main shopping street, and was one of the first streets in the city to develop a retail focus. Shop Street contains a number of old brick buildings, bright storefronts, and numerous pubs. Street performers and buskers are prevalent on the street.
As of late 2017, additional improvements and pedestrianisation works were proposed for Shop Street and the surrounding area.
- "Let's talk Shop (Street)". irishtimes.com. Irish Times. 13 August 2011. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- James Hardiman (1820). The History of the Town and County of the Town of Galway. W Folds and Sons. p. 282.
Shop-street [is] so called because in this street the first shops were opened
- "Misadventure on Shop Street - Galway, Ireland". BootsnAll Articles. 2014.
- "Historic Houses and Castles - Lynchs Castle". discoverireland.ie. Failte Ireland. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- "Ryan Tubridy to sign JFK book in Dubray". advertiser.ie. Galway Advertiser. 28 October 2010. Retrieved 14 November 2010.
- "Irish Retailer Plans to Sell its Well Known Shop Street Property". galwaybayfm.ie. Galway Bay FM. 31 August 2018. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
Eason is planning to sell the property which houses its well known store at Shop Street in [Galway] city [..] The Galway store will continue to trade as normal
- "Shop Street in Galway is set to undergo a major renovation, starting next year". joe.ie. Joe. 14 November 2017. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- Media related to Shop Street, Galway at Wikimedia Commons